The Perfect Metallica, Iron Maiden...Gear and bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FenderBassMan10, Nov 28, 2004.

1. What do you guys think is the perfect bass and gear to play for Metallica, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath...stuff like that. Im looking at new 5-strings and need to decide. I have a Fender Precision '72 which goes into my Boss Me-50B(an incredible pedal) then to my Fender BXR twenty-five.
  2. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Cliff Burton used: Rickenbackers, Aria Pro IIs, Mesa/Boogie Amp with a 2x15 Mesa/Boogie cabinet, Big Muff and Morley Wah pedals.

Jason Newsted uses: Sadowsky basses, and I think he uses an Ampeg SVT with an 8x10 cabinet. He also uses a Big Muff, Morley Wah, Boss Flanger, and MXR Phaser. I think he used to play Alembic basses, and I remember on the S&M DVD he had a Fender Jazz.

Steve Harris: He uses P-Basses and I think Lado basses. I'm not sure of the amp he uses though. If you can, try to find the Steve Harris Signature Presicion Bass. They don't make 'em anymore though.

I'm not sure of what Geezer uses though, I'm sure someone will be able to tell you.

Hope this helps! :)

3. pretty much any decent bass can get it done. im kinda annoyed with all th people that think there is a certain bass that has to be used for a certain type of music :\
  4. Get an Ibanez ATK :hyper: I did and you can play any kind of style. Shame they don't make them anymore :bawl:
  5. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    I've seen pics of geezer with a black p-bass and tortoise shell pickguard, a j-bass in same color and pickguard and rickenbacker.$file/EV_GeezerButler.pdf
  6. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I would recommend RIckenbacker but since you want a string, nevermind.

But as defeldus said, bass types arent really specific to a type of music, i think that depends more on what effects you use (if any), and just the way you play.
  7. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
  8. Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Jason has used many basses over the years including Wals, Spectors and ESPs to name a few. As far as Steve Harris' rig is concerned, he used 4x12 cabs with "full duty EV speakers in them" - Steve Harris(Guitarists - Feb, 1991). I believe he's used Marshall and Fender amps and more recently, he's using Trace Elliot preamps and C-1 audio FR707 amplifiers .
  9. Ozzyman

Jul 21, 2004
  10. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Geezer plays Vigier basses all of 3 models.

Trujillo now endorses ZON but i dont like that non carbon fiber neck (its not ZONish IMO).
  11. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    i agree, with the exeption: modulus quantum bass is not really good for SKA :D,

Those bassist that guy named dont play those instruments because they serve just one or a specified group of music styles, I must say that myung plays a 1 MM humbucker bass and it cuts through petrucci playing that small instrument mmm how was it called??? guitar?? :D BTW the jazz bass styled basses are great all rounder basses fit loads of styles, get good tones and with the correct pickups you can get the tone u want. Look for a sad 5 strings or a lull
  12. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    perhaps a lakland skyline 5 string model ... (can't give a specific model I don't know Lakland too well...) Geezer plays a Joe Osborn Lakland now, Jason with the Sadowskies and Steve with a P. Maybe if you could find some kind of PJ setup.
  13. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    im pretty sure you wont sound much like any of those guys no matter what gear you use. Its all in the fingers and player. Just look for a tone your happy with. OR you could get Jasons Sadowsky that ive been droolin over for a while now, but you still wont sound like him.
  14. Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    I'm pretty sure all of them at some time or another have recorded with a P. I know Newsted, Geezer, and Harris have

15. actually myungs signature yammy only has 1 mm pickup, but his personal bass has another pickup installed closer to the bridge.
  16. pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002

Sometimes the basics have to be there but I can replicate quite a few tones just by changing my playing style which a lot of people don't try and sometimes a minor EQ change to go along with it. As said before on TB, the tone is in your fingers.
  17. on the most recent ozzfest tour Geezer used mostly lakland stuff. Bob Glaub, Joe Osborn, Hollowbody, 4-94.

Generally any bass that you enjoy playing is going to work just as good as anything else. Metal is just faster and louder...more about EQ then what bass you have. just get something that you like.

I play pretty much everything on my Peavey Cirrus because that is what I enjoy playing.
  18. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    do you know anything about his rig? or if hes using any effect?
    i dont know why but for me it sounds like some lite boss bass distortion
  19. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    wow then the RB5 must be really growly, i think that it fits really good to that guy. :bassist: :bassist: :bassist:
  20. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Do you want the same basses those guys played or just something that will work? You say you have a P bass. I think a good P bass would be perfect for tunes by all those bands.