Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Phantom Concole - game console that plays PC games (real or hoax?!)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by yoshi, Jan 9, 2004.

1. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Evenin' all.

I was reading about this new console some time back then forgot all about it until I saw a news story on a game site which includes some screenshot.

Apparantly, the console lets you play PS games on it ie hook the consoel to power + a tv/monitor and you're good to go (modem too by looks of the screenshots).

I'm not sure if its fo-sho or just an attempt at strengthening the hoax..

* Short headline
    * Screenshots

-just thought I'd share that and see what the forums views are.

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I don't know how that would work, given the ever changing hardware demands that PC games have, not to mention their reliance on keyboard commands that cosole controllers simply can't supply.

If it does, that would be cool, though.

3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Well, the X-Box is basically just a PC that only plays games.

But even then, haxies have evolved it to run linux, and do all sorts of other non-gamish stuff.

It has a highly customized graphics card, but ultimately, it holds its own pretty damn well, especially considering it uses a 533 mhz P4 variant processor

4. well, in an old issue of electronic gaming monthly, they said its the real deal...and this mag is pretty reputable.

Of course, the chances of it being popular? I'm gonna stab at 1 in eleventy billion

5. Why bother? Just get the stupid computer, fer cryin' out loud!! You acn do more with a computer than you can with a game console. C'mon, anybody know of a Play Station program that does word processing?

Now, if you will excuse me, I have to go play HALO for the millionth time.:D;)

Rock on
    Eric

6. also, the phantom will charge a monthly service to use it...whos gonna want to do that when playing online (for most games) is free?

7. Spam2mapS

Spam2mapS

Jun 26, 2002
    Ann Arbor, MI
    I'm pretty sure I remember reading a big article on how the phantom was a big hoax... The article may have been a hoax though. Who knows, I don't even remember what the source was, I believe it was one of the bigger gaming sites.

8. BaroqueBass

BaroqueBass

Jul 8, 2000
    Salem, OR
    it's a hoax, and if it isn't a hoax, then it's one of the dumbest things ever.

There's one reason above all other why I believe it to be a hoax, besides the obvious, and that is because they say the phantom will include a cable modem. :oops: :oops: eeeek..