1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Philly Soul Tribute Project

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Bobby King, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Bobby King

Bobby King Supporting Member

May 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Hey folks!

I may be familiar to some of you on TalkBass. I'm a bassist, originally from Philadelphia, PA, and I've lived in Nashville , TN since 1991. I've just finished producing an independent CD called "The Philly Soul Tribute Project" , which is an album of classic Philly Soul tunes done by various artists here in Nashville. I know some of you are thinking, "Philly Soul in Nashville? Hmm.", but I think the project has turned out quite well. It's basically a labor of love on my part, because I'm a Philly Soul Fanatic! I've tried to take a little bit of a different approach on some of the tunes, some have an "unplugged" sort of vibe, some are reinterpreted in new ways. You can hear mp3 samples and find out more at: www.phillysoultributeproject.com The project is available for sale as a CD or as mp3 downloads. I hope you like it.

2. mrufino1

mrufino1 Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2005
    Nutley, NJ
    Wow, nice job. I get scared when I see projects like this, it is hard to do justice to such classic work, but you have a really nice take on these. The biggest problem I hear with new versions of soul tunes is drum sounds- ultra clean, multi miked drums screw it up for me, but you have a nice balance here. The clips sound fantastic too. I will be purchasing when I am able (on budget lockdown right now!). Sara Smile is one of my favorite songs ever by the way, and that sounds amazing. I love your backing vocal sounds. Anyway, I encourage people to check out the clips, these sound really good.

3. Bobby King

Bobby King Supporting Member

May 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    mrufino1 - Thanks for the kind words!