1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The physical footprint of playing bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Tupac, Aug 4, 2012.

1. Tupac

Tupac

May 5, 2011
    What sort of physical aspects of you has bass playing affected? For one, finger calluses. My fingers were rock hard when I first started playing with my extremely uneconomic aggression, but even though they shrunk they're still more rough than everyone else's fingers. What other footprints are there?

2. samurai1993

samurai1993

Jun 6, 2010
    Chile
    Don't know if this applies, but both my bass playing and typing skills seem to complement, the better I've become at bass playing, the faster I type on my PC.

Also, heavy bass + bad strap, I'm sure that SHOULD leave a footprint :D

Not my case though

3. my knuckles have to be cracked more often

4. Nugun

Nugun

Dec 31, 2011
    Mesquite, TX
    Believe it or not playing bass (if your right handed) over a series of years will eventually elongate the fingers on your left hand. My left fingers are a smidgeon longer than my right fingers, so I guess there is some support to the theory right there. It's not really all that noticeable if you're not looking though. ;)

5. My hands have become more vascular.

6. Tupac

Tupac

May 5, 2011
    This is one thing I'm really afraid of. It happened to Flea, that's for sure. Yikes!

7. Nugun

Nugun

Dec 31, 2011
    Mesquite, TX
    Eh, I don't mind the vascular hand thing all that much. I come from a long line of men with "field working hands". Bony, wiry and veiny. It's also a weird turn on for the lady since she likes seeing the veins in a persons arms and hands? Hidden quirks eh? ;)

8. tabdog

tabdog

Feb 9, 2011
    I have this pain in my shoulder.
    It became permanent when we
    started doing 3 nights a week,
    and then on weekends.

Tabdog

9. I am literally always a pound or two on one side of being underweight, so my hands are skinny naturally. My hands look pretty close to his. Give it 2 or 3 years and I'll look like that.

10. crobasster

crobasster

Jun 16, 2009
    croatia
    I got my p..s growth since I play bass.

:bag:

11. my arms are different sizes. one hand is stronger than the other. just from having my arms turned in different directions always.

lots of cracky fingers. callouses. over time your stretch on your fretting hand will be larger. fan out your fingers as far as they will go and see how far you've stretched.

ive got a pretty wrecked back and shoulder. the shoulder was an old injury, but bass isnt helping.

12. mazdah

mazdah

Jan 29, 2010
    Kalisz, Poland
    As you can see I pluck the strings using two fingers

Zdjcie0007.

:D

13. This, my fingertips are numb, and for some reason the muscle between my shoulder blades always feels worked out.

14. Nugun

Nugun

Dec 31, 2011
    Mesquite, TX
    Your fingers are thicker I see. Doesn't seem all that bad to me, especially if you've got a lovin' lady friend. Again, hidden quirks eh? ;)

15. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Always overcompensating Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2010
    SoCal
    Lately, I've been cracking my fingers rather frequently, albeit lightly. As someone stated, my hands have also become more vascular after a few years now of playing guitar and bass...I think it looks pretty dang cool! Bass hands!

Aside from that, some very light calluses on select fingers, and thats about it.

16. superdick2112

superdick2112 Mile High Bassist Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2010
    The Centennial State
    I've been playing bass for more than 30 years now, and the only "hand thing" I've noticed is my hands ache when I take more than a week off from playing.

17. Nugun

Nugun

Dec 31, 2011
    Mesquite, TX
    Should someone start a "Bass Hands" club? I think I would enjoy that.

18. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

Let's see.
    Right forearm is about 50% bigger than my left.
    Calluses on all fingertips and right thumb joint.
    With hands wide open, the span between pointer and pinky is about 1 1/2 inch longer on left hand.
    Used to have a flattened area of flesh on left shoulder, right where the strap goes. I play less than I used to so it went away.

19. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    The muscles and knuckle in my right hand index finger are more pronounced that any other finger from 42 years of bass playing.

20. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    Those are badges of honor! ;) Even fingerstyle he's still playin' slap!