Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The picture of Simonon smashing his bass at NYC ?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Pyouh, Jan 1, 2005.

1. Pyouh

Pyouh

Jan 8, 2003
    Hey all,
    I want to know if someone knows where (website, store, Paul's email...) I can find the picture (free or not) of Simonon smashing his bass at NYC in 1979, taken by Pennie Smith and which is used for London Calling.
    But the original one and not the front cover of London Calling :
    [​IMG]

As you can see it's less focused on Paul than on the cover of LC, and we can see the whole stage.

And this pic in a large enough size to put it on my wall. :)

Thanks a lot in advance.
    Charles from France (sorry for the mistakes ;) ).

2. Pyouh

Pyouh

Jan 8, 2003
    Yep, I did, and the only stuff I found is the small picture shown in my previous message. :meh:

3. Best I've been able to find so far:

[​IMG]

I found a Pennie Smith site relating to her spot in the National Portrait Gallery which has an enlargement of the above image, but they don't have the webimages available for her Artist's Page yet.

4. no4mk1

no4mk1

Feb 21, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Yeah... But it definitely died a hero. They were "The Only Band That Matters" after all! ;)

5. SubEndSorcerer

SubEndSorcerer

Nov 27, 2004
    damn, how tragic. what kinda bass was that. I'm not too familiar with punk music but do like early Misfits. i remember listening to Wolfsblood A.D. alot growing up. maybe they were more metal though. eh i dunno :meh:

6. no4mk1

no4mk1

Feb 21, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Thou shalt go buy all of the Clash's albums and get righteous ye heathen!

In Simonon's defense, it was the only bass he ever smashed, and he felt really bad about it afterwards... He was grumpy. :p

7. I'm pretty sure that was a Fender P-bass of some kind, as that's the only kind I've ever seen him with in pictures.

8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Yep, also I'm fairly sure the remnants of that bass are hanging in the rock n' roll hall of fame.

It was a really bad gig with a really bad mix and just a really bad everything and Paul smashed his bass to hell.

The Clash are awesome, they are probably the most influential punk band ever... well there is the Ramones... but they kinda created that whole Punk/Ska/Dancehall thing. Rancid would not exsist if it weren't for the Clash, that is overly clear.

9. Pyouh

Pyouh

Jan 8, 2003
    Could you give me the adress of this site ?
    Thanks

And yes, it is (was ?) a Precision. :)

I've also heard that Q awarded the pic I'm looking for as the best rock picture ever shot.

10. FUNKonthewall

FUNKonthewall Nailing The Groove

Sep 29, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Endorsing: Fodera Guitars, Aguilar Amps, Dunlop/MXR Accessories
    It is. He also said that it was just sitting (in pieces) in the case in his closet until the R&R Hall of Fame called him up and wanted to put it on display.

11. I cleared my History, sorry :(

Just scoot on over to www.google.com, bosh in Pennie Smith, and it's one of the results. It's not a main referenced site though, you've gotta have a gander at one of the linked sites from the front page of google first. That bigger pic of Paul I found was from some properly weird French site :-\

Happy hunting.

Mark.