The Piezo Question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Utopia Bass, Feb 24, 2002.

1. Utopia Bass

Utopia Bass Guest

Feb 16, 2002
    Jacksonville, Fl
    Hi, Could someone give a short explaination of what a piezo pickup is and what the pros and cons of one? Thanks!:D:confused:

2. A piezo pickup is one which senses physical vibrations rather than elctromagnetic vibrations. They are normally fitted under the bridge saddle in acoustic instrruments, or in the bridge pieces on a 'normal' bridge.

Piezos give a more complex sound than electromagnetic pickups, but on that some people find less 'real'. That is, it doesn't punch through like yer standard magnetic pup. AT least, this is what I have found. It will bring out the acoustic sound of the instrument more 'acoustically'. This requires the instrument HAVING a good sound to bring out in the first place! The piezo bridge pieces for Fender style bridges have had a good press. I have found the things work best for lower volume music, where a subtle and complex sound can actually be heard. For anything loud, in which subtlety disappears, htey fold up and quit.

Others will disagree.

Piezos NEED a preamp. It is claimed that you need a preamp with an input impedence of at least 1 million ohms. Again, my experience differs. I think you need at the very least 5 mega ohms, and 10 if possible. If you don't have a preamp, the sound is brittle and harsh.

3. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    What type of bass are you considering for this? My Zon Legacy 5 has them as an option and there worth EVERY cent. You can blend the mags w/the piezo's & come up with a wider tonal spectrum with sheer crystal highs AND warm tremendous lows(depending on bass & pre of course) that will get almost any sound you like from the same bass. It's better to have it & not need it than want it & should have got it. I recommend you try as many as you can to see if it's for you because every company is not equall to make judgement by...

ciao,
    Satan

4. Where do I go to read about piezo systems that are available? The only one I know about is the GraphTech system. I would be interested in finding one that will work on my Modulus 6 string, which has a Hipshot "A" style bridge.

5. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Not many will drop-in to an existing bridge. Most you need to get a new bridge too.

http://www.rmcpickup.com/

The RMC pickups will replace the saddles in a Wilkinson bridge, I think they will sell just the elements for installation into other bridges too but it takes some machining.

http://www.shadow-pickups.com/pp/transducers.html

Shadow sells complete systems. I've got the SH966 (ABM bridge) in my fretted 6. It's OK, a little bit touchy to proper string-angle over the saddle, and does better on high-tension strings (the D sounds great, the B and E not so much).

I've heard very good things about the RMC systems, just they're hard to find.