Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Piezo Question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Utopia Bass, Feb 24, 2002.

1. Utopia Bass

Utopia Bass Guest

Feb 16, 2002
    Jacksonville, Fl
    Hi, Could someone give a short explaination of what a piezo pickup is and what the pros and cons of one? Thanks!:D:confused:

2. A piezo pickup is one which senses physical vibrations rather than elctromagnetic vibrations. They are normally fitted under the bridge saddle in acoustic instrruments, or in the bridge pieces on a 'normal' bridge.

Piezos give a more complex sound than electromagnetic pickups, but on that some people find less 'real'. That is, it doesn't punch through like yer standard magnetic pup. AT least, this is what I have found. It will bring out the acoustic sound of the instrument more 'acoustically'. This requires the instrument HAVING a good sound to bring out in the first place! The piezo bridge pieces for Fender style bridges have had a good press. I have found the things work best for lower volume music, where a subtle and complex sound can actually be heard. For anything loud, in which subtlety disappears, htey fold up and quit.

Others will disagree.

Piezos NEED a preamp. It is claimed that you need a preamp with an input impedence of at least 1 million ohms. Again, my experience differs. I think you need at the very least 5 mega ohms, and 10 if possible. If you don't have a preamp, the sound is brittle and harsh.

3. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    What type of bass are you considering for this? My Zon Legacy 5 has them as an option and there worth EVERY cent. You can blend the mags w/the piezo's & come up with a wider tonal spectrum with sheer crystal highs AND warm tremendous lows(depending on bass & pre of course) that will get almost any sound you like from the same bass. It's better to have it & not need it than want it & should have got it. I recommend you try as many as you can to see if it's for you because every company is not equall to make judgement by...

ciao,
    Satan

4. Where do I go to read about piezo systems that are available? The only one I know about is the GraphTech system. I would be interested in finding one that will work on my Modulus 6 string, which has a Hipshot "A" style bridge.

5. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Not many will drop-in to an existing bridge. Most you need to get a new bridge too.

http://www.rmcpickup.com/

The RMC pickups will replace the saddles in a Wilkinson bridge, I think they will sell just the elements for installation into other bridges too but it takes some machining.

http://www.shadow-pickups.com/pp/transducers.html

Shadow sells complete systems. I've got the SH966 (ABM bridge) in my fretted 6. It's OK, a little bit touchy to proper string-angle over the saddle, and does better on high-tension strings (the D sounds great, the B and E not so much).

I've heard very good things about the RMC systems, just they're hard to find.