Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Players School of Music, Has anyone ever went here or checked this place out?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by skit_skittson, Jan 8, 2002.

1. I know this is off subject but I didn't know where to post this. I am interested in owning my own music shop and partial-studio when I finish college or 2-year school. I have no idea what major to go into. I NEED HELP!!! I was looking at The Players School of Music by Jeff Berlin in Clearwater, Florida. I know it's just a music school but it would help out a great deal, probably even more than a University. All other schools of music require auditions and it has to be on upright, playing jazz or classical. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

2. Intrepid

Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    What is a good university to major or minor in music? Just a bit curious, cuz I'mt hinking of at least getting a minor after I graduate. Taking AP Music Theory next year, gonna be badass.

3. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Since you are talking about a school, and you get instructed at school, I think "General Instruction" might be a better place for this one. I could be wrong, of course.

I do know, however, that it does not belong here.:p

4. http://www.berklee.edu/

Electric bass is a principle instrument at Berklee, and the playing requirements for admission are not that difficult. If you're looking to run a studio they have a Music Production and Engineering degree.

As long as you have decent HS grades and fundamental knowledge on your instrument, getting in is easy. It's staying there that's the hard part. Must be willing to WORK hard.

5. Berklee is out of the question. Too expensive. I'm looking into a luthier school though.

6. Berklee is expensive- is there any way around it with scholarships and such? can a regular kid like me pay for it without tremendous help from mom and dad?
    I am making it a major goal of mine to go to berklee. I will probably attend "bass lines" this summer

7. Toneonbass

Toneonbass

Jul 1, 2006
    Has anyone tryed the one week intensive class at players school of music?
    if so, was it good?

8. Toneonbass

Toneonbass

Jul 1, 2006
    :meh: nobody?

9. I did the one week intensive and then the full two year program at the Players School. You're not going to find better instruction anywhere. It's mostly a jazz based program but it's pretty well rounded. You do a lot of ear training and theory classes and a lot of playing. Jeff Berlin is a quirky guy but a very good instructor, not to mention probably the most skilled bass player on the planet. I feel like there was no BS with that place. Just lots of solid musical information and passionate musicans. Not to mention the funny conversations over cheap coffee with non-dairy creamer. I didn't much care for the Clearwater area personally, I come from San Francisco, but I met lots of nice people and there wasn't too much else going on to distract from my studies. Although looking back I probably should have spent a little less time partying. LOL

10. Oh, and if you're looking into lutherie schools try to check out Curbow's school. Those guys know what they're doing.

11. sedgdog

sedgdog

Jan 26, 2002
    Pasco, WA
    I went to the "One Week Intensive". If I could go to music school full time I would go to The Player's School. I thought the school and staff were awesome. If you have read any of Jeff's articles - that is exactly what to expect. Reading, chord tones, ear training, harmony & theory. I wish I could go back! :crying:

All the best,
    Tim

12. mrwink

mrwink Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Los Angeles area
    From what you wrote - you're interested in having a music business... not being a career musician... why not get a business degree where you can get trained for running a business - maybe you could find a music shop or studio to work in while you're going to school so that you can get some specific experience in the business of music.

Good luck with it all!