1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Players School of Music One Week Intensive

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by PiNgtime, Oct 1, 2010.

1. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin Banned

Dec 11, 1999
    In one week both one of my teachers and one of the students, in the class, left to play with Art Blakey

2. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    I don't think anybody disagrees with that.

I'm curious who it might be. When my son was looking at music schools I was always mighty impressed with NEC. Anyway, clearly you know that there are lots of guys out there teaching the fundamentals.

3. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin Banned

Dec 11, 1999
    Jeff, John, Lars, Rick and I had a nice conversation. Too bad more did not participate

4. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    Care to recap for us?

5. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin Banned

Dec 11, 1999
    I tried to copy and past .. but it is too long. If you friend me on facebook, you can probably read it that way

6. Really wish I could have made it but I was at work at the time...

-eSmith.

7. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    Cool. Will do.

8. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    Mike you have a friend request.

9. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin Banned

Dec 11, 1999
    friended - let me know if you can find the thread

10. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    Got it.

11. THand

THand

Jun 9, 2008
    I thought it was at 10:00 and Jeff didn't accept my friend request until 12:30 or so. By that time I was too tied up to participate, but I did read up on what I missed. Looks like you guys had a good time, but I sensed that Jeff was disappointed more TBrs weren't able to make it. Good questions and discusion from you and John. Thanks.

12. Rick Robins

Rick Robins

Jan 13, 2010
    Las Vegas, NV
    I had hoped the Facebook invite / Q&A would have gone more like some of the better Myspace bulletins in the past. Where we discussed "the Good Stuff" & less other stuff. I am sure in the future it will.
    In the past we (a group of us) discussed things like:
    Dave Liebman's "A Chromatic Approach to Jazz Harmony and Melody". Nicolas Slonimsky Thesaurus of Scales and Melodic Patterns, Jeff's take that "This is the first lesson of music; Chords Rules! Scales Stink!" & of course the metronome a couple million times among other things. He made me think & seek again & it was real fun at times.

My FB question was based on this info from a short bio in an article:
    "Berlin was considered a child prodigy, he studied in a classical conservatory setting as a child & had nine years of violin lessons starting from when he was five. When he was 14 he switched to playing electric bass and attended Berklee College of Music."
    It leaves me curious. Also, if it is all fact, it may answer a good deal of his stance on music education.

Anyway, today I downloaded the form for the One Week in March & I am mailing it Monday morning.

13. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    How so?

14. Peter Weil

Peter Weil Seeker of The New Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I congratulate the OP on attending the One Week Intensive. His experience chimes well with mine, which I have written extensively about for the benefit of others here on TB. Do a search for threads started by me and you shall find them, if you are so inclined.

PSoM and Jeff changed my musical life, and studying there has definitely shown me 'the good stuff'. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

Although I had looked at attending other places in the UK with a good rep (Leeds, Birmingham, ICMP London, etc), PSoM was the only place where I could attend when it suited me and for the length of time which suited me. For you guys in the US of A, I should think it's a lot more straightforward.

Pete

15. PiNgtime

PiNgtime

Mar 26, 2009

Peter, your threads helped me in my research getting me there, so thank you!

16. That would be me. FWIW, my experience at the PSOM was similar to PiNgtime's (Chris), and Peter Weil's. The value I received far exceeded the monetary expenditure, IMO.

There have been some interesting posts in this thread, along with some amusing ones as well. I do want to add the following:

One has several instructors at the One Week Intensive, it's just not "The Jeff Berlin Show". There are many great players in the world, but being a great player does not necessarily make one a good teacher or instructor. IMO, all the instructors I had at the One Week Intensive were excellent instructors. Jeff Berlin is a great teacher both in group sessions and one-on-one.

And just for the record, I took a private lesson from Mike Dimin in conjunction with his group and master classes at GV's Bass Boot Camp...and Mike is a great teacher as well. :)

17. Another thing I forgot to add in my previous post was Jeff Berlin put an emphasis on finding a good teacher to take lessons from/study with when one returns home.

18. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    Yep as previously noted being a great player and a great instructor are two separate things. Sometimes they coincide and sometime not. Finding a great instructor is a real blessing.

19. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin Banned

Dec 11, 1999
    Thanks. That leads me to the point that I will, in the near future, be offering lessons via Skype

Mike

20. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    Atta boy Mike.