1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Players School of Music One Week Intensive

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by PiNgtime, Oct 1, 2010.

1. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    Boy I should drop Larry a note and find out if he has any plans of doing lessons this way.

2. Mike, when the Book gets here I'm going to take you up on that if you'll have me......

I think the overall verdict is that the PSoM is a great value from what you get out of it. It seems everyone who put there money into it is happy they did.

Not many critics seem to have actually attended.

For me it will be pretty expensive but I may look at a little mid life crisis retreat... Now, how to convince everyone I'm having a mid life crisis............?

-eSmith.

3. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin Banned

Dec 11, 1999
    of course, it would be my pleasure

4. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    I certainly don't recall reading any remarks critical of the school in this thread. Perhaps you'd be kind enough to point out which specific posts you're talking about?

5. Sorry Ed, I should have been more clear, I did not limit the scope of my comment to this thread alone. This is the general feeling that I get from any mention of the PSoM.

However for some specific references to this general line of thought in this specific thread, please first see post #32. This is a glowing review from someone who describes his background with education (a quality you seem to regard highly) and then the unchallenged post #43 where the poster made the same point I repeated that Jeff's critics seem to not attend his school. The fact it went unchallenged seemed to indicate it was accepted by all. After all, there are a fair number of Jeff's critics here who seem eagar to discredit anything about him they can so if they could have done that I'm guessing they would have.

Do you disagree with those points?

-eSmith.

6. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    I am SO busted. Although I don't think I actually said anywhere that I read every single post on this site. But again, the question stands. There is apparently a post out there that is critical of the school, it is yet another post I have not read. If you find others feel free to post them; my contention is that, while Jeff may have his critics AND those critics may differ with him on a few specific points and approaches for musical fundamentals, your implication is that there is criticism of his school. If you know of such, please provide proof. If not, then don't muddy the waters.

7. First of all Ed, whats with the assumption that this somehow has anythinhg to do with you? You didn't cross my mind at all when I commented on the previous posts. Which by the way was a summery of what I'm getting out of the thread. (please note the "SEEM" and "I Think" part of my statement so you can be clear I didn't accuse anyone of anything.)

Trying to infer that somehow I did accuse someone is kind of you mudding the waters now isn't it?

I supposed I could have been more accurate if instead I added four words, please allow me to modify my statement:

"Not many critics OF JEFFS seem to have actually attended HIS SCHOOL.

Did you go to his school Ed? because from my perspective you are the largest critic of Jeffs to participate in this thread.

So without leaving the confines of the thread, have you, his biggest critic here, attended his school?

-eSmith.

8. jmac

jmac

May 23, 2007
    Horsham, Pa
    Ha, that line just cracks me up. That line rings so true; not just regarding PSoM, but with most things.

There was a thread a while back about Bass Boot Camp. Plenty of posts were made that it's not worth the money, but none of the people who made the posts ever attended.

The bottom line is that the internet is ok for gathering information but in the end you just have to find out for yourself.

9. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    No, but neither have I criticized it.

10. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

Nov 22, 2008
    Braintree
    Retrovibe Artist rota
    +1 so true about "gang mentality"....... in the end we do not have the time and money to attend every school, teacher, or try every amp, bass, etc, so we trust in reviews to get the info and make our own minds up. Opinions.....everyone has got them.

11. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    I've considered going for the week intensive many times. I'd really appreciate it if everyone would leave out all their clutter and personal agendas so folks who've been to the schools can provide more info. Some of you sound incredibly childish.

12. No Ed, you didn't, instead, in a typically passive aggressive way, you went after the OP and his qualifications to post any sort of review. Personally, I think if he was critical of the school or better yet, Jeff personally, you wouldn't have bothered posting at all.

As I pointed out in our last public exchange (which I thought we put behind us in PM's) you like to step right up to the line and if anyone points out how close your getting, you start screaming how you didn't actually cross it. No, maybe you didn't but you sure meant for us to think you did, and then you cry foul when we do. Word games don't impress me.

You make it a personal mission to attack Jeff whenever you get the chance it appears and I am not the only one here to notice it. Deny it all you like, it is what it is.

Are we done with this yet or would you like drag this out a while longer?

-eSmith.

13. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    Where is the icon for beating a dead horse?

14. PiNgtime

PiNgtime

Mar 26, 2009
    In this thread it's labeled "quote" xD

15. sedgwick1489

sedgwick1489

Dec 29, 2009
    So for the record, and to dispell the rumor, below is the one negative review I had seen here on Talkbass in regards to the PSM:

Having been to the PSM, I have my opinion on this review, but you decide for yourself!

16. jdthebassman

jdthebassman

Jul 11, 2010
    nobody is the best it is all preference,there is perhaps someone in kansas or elsewhere who blows us all away

17. jdthebassman

jdthebassman

Jul 11, 2010
    who cares, if you like jeff listen to him. I respect his playing and insite. what ever works for you.I think people get too opiniated about other players.I know some have higher profiles and get a lot of attention, be your self, develop your own voice thats what they did.It is not about whos better than who. check out victors groove work shop dvd nuff said peace jd PS study 2- 10 on the video you will be glad you did.

18. Yes, those were some of my insights & experiences, my own truths in 2004, when i attended TPSOM.

I'd hate to enter a discussion, when Jeff isn't here to defend himself, as that's kind've cowardly & unfair to him.

However, i do think that if music is likened to learning a foreign language, and i had a desire to learn Russian for instance, and were presented with taking a community college course on learning the fundamentals of the russian language, or spending a few weeks in Russia, immersing myself into the nuances of the culture, that it would no doubt aid me in getting the spirit of their grammar and enunciations far better.

Meaning, if one's goal is to become a bass player's-bass player (i.e. Sharay Reed, Andrew Gouche, Alex Al, Byron Miller, Jimmy Haslip, Nathan East, Mo Fitzgerald, etc) i wouldn't recomend the Player's School for a person with those type of aspirations. Those remarkable players are just that (remarkable) before they ever enter a instituion.

Enough talk though, Sedgwick 1489, post some clips of your playing so that all can view a byproduct of TPSOM.

19. sedgwick1489

sedgwick1489

Dec 29, 2009
    Hi fountain boy,
    I attended the One-Week Intensive at the PSM. Was I a better player when I left after one week? No way! What I did leave with though was a road map and philosophy of what to learn. I took Jeff's advice and sought out instructors who could teach in that direction and I practiced my lessons. That's where my playing started becoming a byproduct of something. The One-Week Intensive is all about learning a philosophy and if action is not taken upon completion it's all just a waste of money aside from a fun hang with Jeff.

That said I did record and post a solo per your request at:

http://soundcloud.com/chordtone/sedg-ct2

It's a simple chord tone solo utilizing basic chromatic approaches and voice leading.

You are welcome to recipricate a solo post.
    All the best in your musical journey.

20. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    FWIW I thought that was quite nice.