The Plunge... neck removal

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by FalsehoodBass, Jul 23, 2002.

1. FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    Ok, so I talked to a guy at Ernie Ball and he told me how to strip and re-oil and wax my neck. The bass is an EB MM Stingray 5.
    Acetone is involved, so i need to take the neck off... i'm very very scared about removing my neck.... and even more afraid of putting it back on....

Is this a big deal, and if so, any suggestions?
    I know that i should loosen the trussrod once the strings are removed.... i was also told to tigten the middle bolts first and the outer ones last when re-attaching the neck... any other hints?

I've also contemplated just putting my body and (finished) headstock in plastic bags and leaving the neck on, anybody think this might work?

Thanks for any suggestions or ideas...
  2. It's really not a big deal. As part of my initial set up when I get a new bass, I take the neck off and inspect the neck and the pocket.

If you're going to be taking it off a lot, get the metal threaded inserts. I think Hambone uses them, so he could tell you where you can get some and how to install them.

I've never touched the truss rod when removing a neck. I've never even heard that suggested. I remove the strings, break the torque on all the screws, then remove them while the bass is laying flat on its face.

when putting the pback on, I'll put on the bottom two, then the top two, then go back and retighten them all.

You can put the body in plastic, but the acetone may eat through the plastic.
  3. sleazylenny

Jun 20, 2002
    Mpls, MN
    I have to concur here. It's not a big deal at all. As long as the screw holes don't get stripped ( they shouldn't), and there's no debris in the pocket when you put the neck back on, it should just go right back to where it was before. Just make sure you tighten everything up snug ( don't go overboard )

I am curious however, is your 'Ray an unfinished maple neck like mine? If so, what is there to strip off? My neck has got play marks ( oil, dirt, other crap I can't get of my hands in a rush to get to a gig ) in the lower register where I play most often. The suggestion I was given was " live with the staining, it's the sign of a bass often played and well loved." I've taken that to heart, but if theres a way to get that crud off ( without sanding a layer off my neck), I'd sure like to know about it.
  4. FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    lenny... its the crud that i'm trying to remove. I love the sound of new strings, and the look of a white maple fretboard. When the neck is dirty, strings go bad faster, and i'm just not a fan of that "vintage yellow" look to maple.

I contacted the guys at Ernie Ball and they said to use Acetone to strip the neck, then use Birchwood Casey gunstock oil, then Gunstock wax to refinish the neck.

The actual process was pretty in depth, but if you're interested, i could type it up and send it to you.
  5. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

I would be more afraid of stripping and refinishing the neck than removing and replacing it. Refinishing can change the tone of the instrument. Unless you are experienced at this and REALLY need to do so, I wouldn't touch it.
  6. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I've done it once...removing the neck, that is;)

The single biggest piece of advice I'd offer is to not use a power drill: instead, loosen the screws by hand, and make sure you don't over-turn the screws so you don't strip the screw holes.

Other than that, you'll be surprised;)
  7. If you've owned an old Jazz Bazz, removing the neck becomes something you can do blindfolded. Be careful when you screw the neck back on. Use your fingers to start the screws and make sure that you have the screws in the threads that have already been made. Starting the screws like this will help insure that you don't strip the holes. After they are started properly, use a screwdriver (not a drill) to screw them in.