Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Pod Squad

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Munjibunga, Jun 22, 2000.

1. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    OK, the Pods are in. I got one today, and found time to futz around with it for a half hour or so. Yep, it emulates them amps really bitchen. It emulates the old effects really well, too. A little too well for my taste, on some of them. Like that Boss Octaver? The emulation is perfectly as crappy as the original. Line 6 is quick to point this out in the documentation, so it's nothing they don't know. Overall, this is a totally bitchen thing, though. The presets are fun, and can be adjusted ad infinitum. I set it to "Silverface" which emulates the Fender Bassman 50-watt, my first amp. Yessir, that's the one. It's amazing. I thought that amp sucked so bad because of the way it saturated and had what I then considered a monumentally crappy tone. Now I can emulate it whenever I want. That'll be real soon. Maybe when I get the blues and need to play them. I ran it through my Eden WT-300 (which I consider to have monumentally excellent tone). It really does an excellent job of emulating amps (at least the ones I've heard). I put it on the SWR clone, and it sounded like ... you guessed it, SWR. It even emulates the Eden through the Eden. So, if you like to fiddle around with a lot of different sounds, rush out and get one. GC should have 'em by now. Don't pay more than $300 for one. Even less is better.

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    GC sells them for $349.

Will C. [​IMG]

------------------
    You can't hold no groove if you ain't got no pocket!

3. BassGroove74

BassGroove74

Jun 24, 2000
    How does the Marshal sound like?

Is it true that there website(line6) is constantly giving out set-up sound"formulas" for the Bass POD?

Do you think that it would sound good through a BI-amped set-up?

I was told that They are excellent as a direct in recording tool (I own my own home studio that is set-up nice now.)

Would it emulate all those amps great through a Carvin combo (cyclops)?

I was interested in it but will not have an option to play one, the closest store to me sold out quick and is waiting to get some, so I would prefer to order from muscians friend out of Tenn.

If they are great to be used live in your amp wow for three bills pretty close emulation and many amp varieties without an amp, cool. If it is just a valuable direct box/emulation effects box that is nice too, but sounding good live also with your current set-up would be absolutely complete control over your bass sound, infinite possibilities!!

Anyone seen then for less then 349?

Thanks for any input guys, oh yea I used to be K112774 if anyone every talked to me before. Thanks [​IMG]

------------------
    "Not all Who Wander are neccesarily Lost"

JRR Tolken

4. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Dang, those are hard questions. I payed less than $300 plus tax. Don't tell 'em who told you. However, if you check my profile, I bought just about everything at GC. And all my PA and recording gear too. That might have something to do with it.

Hmmm... I don't have enough experience with Marshall to opine on how the POD is on that one.

5. BassGroove74

BassGroove74

Jun 24, 2000
    PODs, PODS,POds

Does it sound good through another amp?

Direct recording is a bonus but I want to know if withoug headphones and not being monitored how it sounds out of a live rig prefrerable a Carvin.

Do they constantly update formulsa on the net anyone elso own one?

6. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    I play it through my Eden rig - set pretty much flat. Yep. Sounds bitchen. You'll really like it if you're into the older effects ... those Muff things, flangers, Mu-tron whatzits, etc. I'm not into that crud, but the amp emulation is worth it. I can sit there, switch it over to Silverface or whatever, and say "DANG! How could I EVER have played through something that sounded like THIS? DOUBLE DANG!" If you do classic rock, this will help you get the tones they played in the 60's, 70's and 80's. Even has a Nirvana emulator in it. Yeeeeee HAW! I'm still learning how best to futz with it. More on This Later (MOTL).

7. lildrgn

lildrgn

Jul 11, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    Munjibunga,

Now you've had the POD for a bit, what're your new impressions, if any? I'm probably going to get one this week from my local GC and am very excited about it.

Thanks in advance!

8. Just bought a pod today and have had a good go at it. I have to say that I am well impressed with the sounds available without tweaking it at all. I particularly like the one called major sunshine ( bank 2 b ) it emulates the Jack Bruce sound from Sunshine of Your Love. It'll take a bit of work until I find a blend or blends that I want but to me it sounds great and it's got no background noise...

9. Has anyone had a chance to play with the Bass POD Pro yet? Steve's Music won't be getting any for another month or so; I'm wondering if anyone's getting them yet.

10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

This sounds like the ultimate in redundancy to me! There was a review I read in a UK magazine and they said that the effects weren't very good (not worth having basically) but the amp simulation is very authentic. But if you already have an Eden WT300, this is one of the pre-sets, so you are paying for something to simulate an amp you already own :rolleyes:

So if you decide which amp you like best and buy it, why do you need all these "simulations" of amps that sound worse to you? I tried just about every amp around and decided that I liked the Eden best and bought it - so why do I need any others?

Just to "fiddle around with sounds" - are we talking about "bass playing" here or just time wasting - I could think of other expressions ;)

11. funkastorious

funkastorious

May 26, 2000
    Mpls, MN.
    I respect your opinions above, but what would a discussion thread be without some guy not agreeing? Here's a blurb I wrote on the FenderForum and I'm sticking to it. The Bass POD is terrible...just like the regular POD (IMO). Yes, it does have some applications, but it's been highly overated...

Jul 12th 01:27 PM
    Okay, I took an extended (2 hour) lunch break and went to MARS and played both SansAmp and Bass POD right next to each other. (GC didn't have the POD yet). I was playing direct into a Eden 1000 power amp and Eden 1x15 speaker, so there wasn't another premap to cludder the sound.

I definately should have kept my old Bass DI, darn things sound really good. Can't remember why I got rid of it.

Anyhoo, I was really disapointed with the POD. The "amp simulators" were not useful. I could get any of those tones on any of the settings by changing my fingering and technique. The names given were not remotely close to the names they used. "Adam and Eve" supposely "Eden", etc... I
    was almost insulted by that sound. The only cool amp setting was the "360" which I assume is the old Acoustic 360 amp made oh so famous from Jaco. So, if you want an accurate amp simulator, this ain't it.

The effects sounded ok, but they weren't anything to get excited about. The Chorus stuck out as being better than average, but the "Tron III LOW" and "HI" was just another insult to the Mutron III. (which I also played while I was there). In defense of the POD effects, I only used the defaults, so you may be able to tweak them to your liking.

Also, where are they expecting you to put the POD? On the floor? It didn't seem strong or heavy enough to stay on the floor....maybe you need some velcro on an effects board.

The POD is certainly not for every one. It's definately not for me. I could understand someone using this for a gig in which they didn't have an amp (run direct to PA) and wanted to kick in some effects here and there, but at a $324 sale price at MARS, I could give you a better sounding and cheaper route to go. Being a digital unit, people that like to tinker with settings will probably like it.

Which brings me to the Tech21 Bass Driver. Golly gee, it sounded better than I remember....I would have bought it if the sales guy would have come down another $25, but those MARs salespeople are basically little peons not allowed to bargain.

Obviously, the above opinion are only my own. Final thought, if you want an amp simlutor DI device, buy the Tech21. If you need some effects, buy something else, the Bass POD is a flop.

12. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    OK, fair enough. But I had a bunch of otherwise uncommitted funds, and I had heard a LOT of good comments on the guitar POD, so what the heck? I'm not a pro player, so "wasting time" is not an issue for me. Music is for my enjoyment. I play in a band to share that with other folks. I buy gizmos for fun and experimentation. If it wasn't a POD, it would be a new axle for the dune buggy (which I don't have, but you get the point).

By the way, I already have a SansAmp Bass Driver DI, and yes, it is a better and more useful doohickey. I actually use it (and my Accoustic DI) on stage. The Accoustic DI is great for polishing up the fretless tone with its sweepable mid.

[Edited by Munjibunga on 08-15-2000 at 10:28 PM]

13. I really like my Bass Pod ! I think that the sounds available are great, I want to be able to blend and alter sounds to give me what I am looking for. I can't afford a fancy new amp at the moment so it does a good job for me and my marshall combo.

I too have read a UK review about the Bass Pod and the reviewer said that he liked
    " The stuning quality of the amp modelling ;
    ease of use. "
    Steve Lawson Guitarist Sept 2000

He also thought that the effects were a little less impressive but nice enough.

I can understand people here having an opposite opinion that's what a forum is about but perhaps we need to be less emphatic in our opinions and slower to hand out ridicule about how we use our equipment.

Just a thought :)

14. funkastorious

funkastorious

May 26, 2000
    Mpls, MN.
    Stu-

There are 13 post total. 11 'for' and basically 2 'against'.....and your mentioning that we should be "less emphatic in our opinions and slower to hand out ridicule about how we use our equipment." Gimme a break

In the golf world, pros typically mention the period after a person gets a new club and they can suddenly hit 300 yard drive. In actuality, it's a figment of their imagination. Same with Bass Equipment.

As my post reads, some people will find the POD useful, but the overall sound and physical unit leaves a lot to be desired from this pro player.

I'm glad you're happy with your POD, but I could have gotten you a better sound from a good DI and your own fingers.

15. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Make that 3 against. I spent about an hour with one recently. I waited to be amazed. I'm still waiting:D

16. Dear Mr Funkastorious,
    Read my posting again, I was not specifically directing my comments at you, to be quite honest you put across your point in a perfectly resonable way - no problem from me.
    There are others who put across a point of view in an unreasonable manner, which to some people will be off putting, particularly younger players.

Other pro players may have a different opinion to you, indeed several I have talked to do - but that's okay too.

My comments were mainly directed at Bruce who posted before you and I really felt his tone was unreasonable but it's just my opinion and others may differ :)

Stu

17. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i tried the pod out with one of my basses through headphones, sounded like crap. the guitarist in my band has had a guitar pod for quite a while, so i am familliar with them, even able to tweak them a bit, but it sounded pretty lame to me. now that was through headphones - i haven't had an opportunity to try it through a rig yet - i may do so when the bass pod pro comes out.

then again, my "tube" rig is an aguilar db-680 & marshall jmp-1, and my "solid state" rig is a trace elliot ah600smx, so maybe i just have very high expectations :D.

18. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

If I have "put anybody off" buying yet another effects pedal then Hooray" This was my intention - to get people to question the usefulness of something like this. I still haven't had an answer to the question I posed, presumably becuase nobody can?

Anyway - my tone "unreasonable"? No, my tone is great and that's why I don't see the need for a Pod. If my tone wasn't good then I would buy another bass/amp and not cover it up with a cheap effects unit - this to me is like patching your wall with sticky tape after an earthquake! ;)

Seriously, if I have bought an Eden amp becuase I think the tone is great, why go out and buy a unit to "simulate" that amp - just seems insane to me. Say what you mean and mean what you say! That's my motto :rolleyes:

19. Nice reply Bruce and I take your point entierly if you have a great amp/Bass why buy a simulator... I think that I missed that when I read munjibungas previous posting.

But for me I'll have to keep using sticky tape, for a while, or at least until I can think up a good enough reason to spend some more cash on bass gear and not on my missus and our two teenagers ! I've only just persuaded her that my Guild B301 needs to be replaced with a Fender American Series Jazz !

20. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Well, lessee. Let's say I have an Eden amp (this time I do, so it's not so hypothetical), and I get a recording gig. The producer ain't looking for the superb, clean modern tones of my rig on this cut. He wants something that sounds older and crappier. Should I rent an old crappy amp and mic or DI it into the board, or break out my POD and give him some options? The purpose of an amp emulator is to produce sounds that a single amp can't produce. It's a bit silly to imagine that one amp is sufficient to produce the sounds required in diverse situations. What you're calling your great tone may be completely useless in countless applications. Seems a little chauvinistic to me.

By the way, I didn't buy the POD to emulate my Eden amp ... it's just that the folks at Line 6 thought that the Traveler was worth emulating, and they didn't give me the option of omitting that amp. It's OK. I've still got 15 other amp models that I wouldn't otherwise have.