The poles fliping?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by mad_world, Nov 10, 2002.

1. mad_world

Nov 3, 2002
    Anyone hear anything about the north pole flipping and becoming the south pole?
  2. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
  3. yes, but i couldn't give you any details about it. doesn't happen too often, that's for sure.
  4. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    that happens once every 30000 years... I finally have something to share with my grandsons
  5. mad_world

Nov 3, 2002
    Why are they flipping? Will it have any effect on anything?
  6. dude i thought you were talking about flags.....
  7. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Do you have a link to a site that has more info on this.. i have never heard of it.. sounds kinda neat
  8. It'll be recorded in the orientation of dipoles in rock which is solidifying today.
  9. Spam2mapS

Jun 26, 2002
    Ann Arbor, MI
    huh? :confused: I have no clue of what any of you are talking about
  10. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    well, you know about the north and south poles, right?

the north pole is where santa claus lives.

the south pole is where penguins live.

the poles are the opposite ends of the electromagnetic field. the earth has an electromagnetic field because the core is made of ferrous (magnetic) metals.

i suppose the charges changed?

so, in effect, the world turned upside down.

(someone could probably do a better job explaining.)
  11. It's happened many many times. I wouldn't worry about it. :D
  12. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    what are the causes and effects of this flippage?

apparently, nothing significant, as compasses have worked for the past few hundred years the same.
  13. Does this mean that when you flush the toilet the water will go down in the opposite direction? Because that would so rock.
  14. Some of its got to do with that crazy moon of ours. Because the moon's mass is significant in proportion to the Earth, the axis of the earth remains at a pretty steady tilt. But as the moon gets farther away, the axis becomes bigger until we have winter in June, or (incase you live in Brazil) Summer in June.

*guess who's been watching the Discovery Channel!* :D
  15. It doesn't happen over night, it takes many many many years for this to happen. So everything will be alrite.

16. It's already 75000 yrs overdue...someone slept in I imagine...
  17. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    This is definitely the most pertinent question IMO :D And if it takes years to happen, will the water go straight down instead of swirling clockwise or counter when we reach the halfway point? INQUIRING MINDS WANT TO KNOW!!! :)
  18. No the direction in which the water turns has something to do with the rotation of earth (Coriolis(sp?) force) and not with the magnetic poles.