Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Police - Syncronicity Concert DVD

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by JamesM, Oct 29, 2005.

1. Hey guys,
    not sure if this has been talked about but i just got the new Police dvd. Excellent show, great performances by all members, its got some good features on it aswell.
    Any1 thats a fan should get it ASAP.

Laters.

2. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I've got an old Police video of many live performances. It is great fun to watch.

They're great!

3. Scroller

Scroller

Jul 16, 2005
    Great DVD. Especially when he picks up the EUB in Walking on the Moon. Also, I always thought Stuart Copeland was a terrific drummer but what a treat it is to see him play these songs live. Do my ears deceive me though, or is Sting not playing the same line during the verses of Spirits in the Material world that he plays on the studio recording? Granted, this probably falls into the category of "almost impossible to sing it and play it at the same time" but the Ghost in the Machine version is soooo perfect. I will never be sick of that song (and I've already heard it a billion times by now) and it's all because of that bassline...

4. re. Spirits in the material world, I also noticed (on the old Synchronicity tour VHS) he simplified the rhythm of the bassline (less staccato)- also IIRC the rhythm of the bassline in the chorus to Message in a bottle.

ps. I'd never seen Copeland's "Klark Kent" project-
    http://www.stewartcopeland.co.uk/stewartcopela-16.html

the clip of him doing "Don't care" on TOTP is funny- he's holding a old P bass- while Sting and Andy Summers are behind wearing monkey masks:D

5. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Just the other day my friend was trying to explain to me that the Copeland's must be obsessed with law enforcement or something. Anybody know more about his family? OK - so Stew founded The Police. Isn't ther an Aaron? He did something with the name FBI in it and there's one other too. Maybe his dad or some other brother had yet another law enforcement related band name or record label or something. Pretty weird, eh?

6. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    Stewart Copeland's father apparently worked for the CIA, and was stationed in England. I am not 100% sure that is true, but I heard it was.

7. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    I got to see them on the Synchronicity tour, it was a great show, outdoors, very cold. UB40 opened.

8. muggsy

muggsy Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Stewart Copeland's brother Miles founded IRS Records, and their dad was a CIA agent. Aaron Copland (no relation) was a famous American composer in the early to mid-20th Century.

9. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Aha - that makes a little more sense. Thanks for the info guys...

10. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    Most of the Copeland family tree is explained in Sting's book,
    Broken Music, which I enjoyed quite a bit by the way.

Oh, and regarding Spirits in the material world, at least on the live cd,
    he plays a simpler line, and if I recall correctly, a fourth higher
    than on the studio version. And during the chorus goes back to
    the same as the studio one.