1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Police- Tour Live Set Recording from Chicago on 2/18/1984 at Universal Recording Corporation

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by wraub, Oct 26, 2020.

1. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    No backup singers, no overdubs, just three amazing players playing their live set. Sting is obviously saving his voice, which just makes the amazing playing more apparent.
    Pretty sweet. :)

"I recall that on a day off during the Synchronicity tour, we loaded in to a Chicago recording studio with the entire stage setup: risers, monitors and all. The idea was to capture the band's onstage performance in their prime, with minimal vocals, with the intent of adding them later. The date was 02/18/1984. Sting was not singing at performance level to save his voice. We were in the middle of the tour and had a show the night before and two back to backs coming up."

edit- thread title changed for accuracy

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
    andruca, woodyng2, japhy4529 and 30 others like this.
  2. They practiced at home, this is a rehearsal.

Rip Van Dan, Jon McBass and shwashwa like this.
  3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I'm a huge Police fan. I'll wait to watch this using my Firestick and home stereo later. Thanks for posting!

Killed_by_Death and teh-slb like this.
  4. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    I edited the thread title for accuracy. ;) The original was a mindless copy/paste.

Drucifer likes this.
  5. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    It's not a video, but the audio is very good, imo.

6. smeet

smeet Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Sting was getting a killer aggressive tone there.

wraub likes this.
  7. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Even better. I can do something else while it's on.

Joshua Pickenpaugh and wraub like this.
  8. Winslow

Winslow

Sep 25, 2011
    Group "W" Bench
    Nice! Thanks for the heads-up on that! :thumbsup:

wraub likes this.
  9. Low8

Low8 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Another good one for you Sting fans if you've never heard it before... I believe this was a rehearsal for the Ten Summoner's Tales tour. This YouTube video is listed as 1993... but there's a few TST tunes in here, so it might've been a few years later. It's just Sting, Dominic Miller, Vinnie Colaiuta and David Sancious running through the setlist. These guys KILL IT... and with a few covers and a little chatter and joking around, it's just a lotta fun to listen to.

I found a copy at a CD show (remember those?) back in the 90s and it's been one of my favorites ever since.

Dial it up on YouTube and you'll see all the different tracks.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
  10. I was a medium-sized fanatic when I was young, but as I got older I grew into a large fanatic.
    It's a shame that all their solo efforts are fit for Muzak in elevators or folks being euthanized.

11. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Saw this tour in Atlanta. What a great band. Great drummer, great guitarist. And Sting.

Low8 and consectaneus like this.
  12. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    One of the coolest gifts I ever got was first class flight, nice hotel, and great seats to see the reunion tour at the Garden in Boston. This was from my wife before we were even married! Yeah, I got lucky.

13. Cool! This is the exact same set as 'The Police Live Atlanta 1983' which a great live recording. Interesting to hear them rehearse.

Winslow likes this.
  14. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    If you want some Police with a little more "edge", check out Sting's son's band Fiction Plane. He sings a lot like dear old dad. And the band has a little more grit.

15. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Commercial User

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    I saw the Police on that tour the week before in Syracuse: February 4, 1984...

Joshua and Meaculpa like this.
  16. bmusic

bmusic

Oct 22, 2017
    Los Angeles
    NOTHING LIKE THE SUN is a masterpiece.

Low8 and shirky like this.
  17. consectaneus

consectaneus

Sep 23, 2016
    Oakland Colosseum, 1983 for me. Really memorable.

Joshua and Meaculpa like this.
  18. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az

GregC, Winslow, NYCBass and 3 others like this.
  19. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    My first Police concert was in the summer of '82 during the Ghost in the Machine tour. Sting was rocking the Steinberger and they had the whole horn section to boot. Killer concert with lots of soul. The Synchronicity tour was fun too in my mind didn't compare. It was more of a Sting solo concert with Andy and Stewart as hired guns.

It was cool that they could put aside their differences and tour as a band back in 2008. I saw two of the shows and enjoyed them both.

The Police were very influential for me. Sting, Andy and Stewart are all amazing musicians and they really brought it in their heyday as a band. They burned bright.

Wraub, great pull with Klark Kent. I enjoyed all of those songs back in the day.

Bones

Basslice, Joshua, wraub and 1 other person like this.
  20. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    Maryland, USA
    Killer tone from his Spector!

StevieMac and leto like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 27, 2020