Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Poll for a better OT.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by odie, Jan 31, 2003.

1. NO political discussion, unless music related ex RIAA

15 vote(s)
    31.9%
  2. Leave rules as is, let the political drivel continue.

21 vote(s)
    44.7%
  3. Keep political threads limited to certain number that are active.

8 vote(s)
    17.0%
  4. NO tolerance in regard to political threads.

3 vote(s)
    6.4%
  1. odie

odie Supporting Member

These political threads have caused more unrest among many TB'rs and I fear it may have an effect on the rest of the TB forums.

I'm just curious on the opinions and feelings on this. Think this out before you answer because it may have effect on future rules of OT.

PLEASE DO NOT TURN THIS THREAD INTO A POLITICAL ARGUEMENT. THOSE POSTS WILL BE DELETED!!

2. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I went for the 'keep them limited' option. I'm not really bothered by them, but at the moment they are a little out of hand, and people are getting annoyed. But I don't think we should do away with them altogether.

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I don't think there is anything wrong with political issues being discussed.

The problem is : being offensive, personal attacks on others, rude behaviour etc etc

All things which are covered by the current guidelines. I don't see any need to ban them particularly, just bad behaviour in general.

If something is against the current guidelines than it should be closed/deleted - but not just because it mentions politics.

4. I say deep six 'em. They serve no practical purpose. There are plenty of political sites out there for those folks that feel so inclined. They just end up getting out of hand despite the best of intentions. Politics is a deeply personal thing for lots of people and inevitably feathers get ruffled for no practical reason.

Just my $.02

5. I agree.

6. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I'm not too bothered by political threads - I've got advanced skills at ignoring them unless I see a particularly intriguing question or am searching around at a loose end.

However, I'd be happy to see the Mods taking a tough line when members raise concerns. Kill the threads off if they get to be more heat than light...

Wulf

7. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Keep'em; those that don't want to look don't have to.

8. Bruce Lindfield

I disagree - Politics is in everything we do - it affect all our lives and has a big impact on music and how musicians make their living.

It is quite possible to have civil debate about this with people who are poles apart from you and to argue coherently and cogently to great effect.

I think we would be losing a large part of "real life" by ignoring this and that if people can't have a sensible debate about polictis without resorting to personal insults, offensive remarks etc, then this place has come to a sorry state!!

9. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

These Political discussions live and die a life of thier own.

And sometimes, there's relative peace. But we are quite possibly going to war. It's hard to avoid not mentioning it.

For some here, this may even be (dare I say) theraputic. TalkBass can be all things?!

Just keep it civil, and relative to your philosophy, and the relative facts of the discussion.

If it falls apart...Mods should not have to defend thier decisions to terminate something they belive is out of hand.

10. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I assume you're talking about the house of commons there? :D

11. odie

odie Supporting Member

Do you realize how many posts have to be read to keep an eye on things. One political thread can equal all the posts in non-political threads in OT.

I keep hoping Paul says he needs to keick things down to bandwidth etc....ok not really because that means he would have to upgrade.

12. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Methinks a banning is in order for people that keep posting purposefully inflammatory material aimed at one particular side of the political fence?

13. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i second, if you don't like what's on TV, change the channel.

i think some of the problems are the immature ones that reply. although there are a many mature people here that are able to make rational, objective comments, some are not able to, due to a lack of experience in life or are just bitter mature people, but this is a forum for people who play bass or want to play bass that has an "off-topic" thread.

once again, if you don't like it don't read it (well how will i know if i like it or not? i'll have to read it....well then, don't respond!!)
    :rolleyes:

also, we as musicians would not want anyone telling what music we can play or listen to.....why should someone tell us what we can say or not say?

14. Bruce Lindfield

But surely there are far more posts in Basses about "which bass should I get" or "J vs P " etc etc - and these are by definition dull and tedious!! ;)

And it is not the fact that these threads are political, but that people are being rude, offensive, personal etc

So - there have been many threads in the past and many trolls in the past who have caused a fuss without politics being involved.

It will happen whatever subject you choose and it is the behaviour that needs to change - not the topic under discussion!!

15. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I agree, it's only a few bad apples that start the blaze going.

16. Bruce Lindfield

As a point of order - can I say that the poll is unfair and inherently biased as there are two options that basically mean "no tolerance" for polictical threads, one limited and only one for keeping the status quo.

It is not a balanced poll - statistically speaking. Believe me, I analyse this kind of thing for a living!!

17. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I think it's supposed to mean two different things - a) permanent moratorium on political threads, and b) allowing political threads, but shutting them down at the first sign of trouble.

18. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    isn't this whole statement an oxymoron?:eek:

19. Bruce Lindfield

I don't think it's clear and will lead to skewing of results - although I can see what you mean.

20. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

AMEN!