THE Poll...sort of ultimate poll, like...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Andy Daventry, Sep 12, 2002.

1. The bass in an electric bass. It ploughs its own groove. It is NOT a kind of guitar.

47 vote(s)
  2. The electric bass is a bass version of the guitar with thicker strings and an octave lower.

22 vote(s)
  3. the electric bass is a guitar with thicker strings that ploughs its own groove.

25 vote(s)
  1. A bass saxophone is a saxophone. A bass clarinet is a kind of clarinet. But a tuba is not really thought of as a bass horn, and a double bass is NOT a bass violin (though it s a bass fiddle!).

So is the electric bass a bass guitar or not? Let's settle this democratically by flashing a few votes around.

And moderators, please keep your carrots to yourselves. This is serious and scientific.
  2. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I dunno. I'd like to think not. We share a basic design concept and tuning. Though the tuning is arbitrary; it could have just as easily been 5ths as it is 4ths now.

I mean, a banjo and mandolin and a ukele all have simmilar aspects of a guitar. Are they guitars? Or are guitars just big mandolins? It's all relative.

So simmilar? Yes. A guitar? No.
  3. I voted "bass version of the elec. guitar"..

The statement: I]The bass in an electric bass. It ploughs its own groove[/I] is not opposed to the other option in the poll..

You could have put something like "The electric bass guitar is a fretted electric version of the double bass".. and that would have been a stronger option, maybe to debate about.
  4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    well, to be scientific, all options ought to be covered. your choices are predicated on the assumption of certain limitations of a guitar that i think are more subjective than objective.
  5. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    its a guitar
  6. You've been at my poll again, haven't you, JT!!
  7. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    who, me? i wouldn't touch your poll with ... a ten foot pole.

i'm not really into polls myself, you know? more of a socket man, really. definitely sockets. :D
  8. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000

Bass Guitar=

Conversation Piece=
    (I kid, it's a thing of beauty)
  9. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
  10. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    i voted that its a type of guitar, because IMO it is a type of guitar, it is in the guitar family.
  11. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    None of the above. I think it was Jack Bruce (but could be wrong) who said that the guitar is actually a bastardized instrument.

IMO, a guitar is merely a bass with strings tuned an octave up.
  12. Casey C.

Casey C.

Sep 16, 2000
    Butler, PA, USA
    It's the love child of a electric guitar and an upright! :D
  13. If you want to get technical.....the electric bass is 8 octaves lower then the electric guitar. So really, your poll is tragically flawed and you are a horrible human being for your simple mistake. Thank you and have a nice day.
  14. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    My thoughts exactly.

Your options dont let us pick that it is a blend between the two.

I dont like your options; theyre too restricting.

15. well!

8 octaves below the electric guitar. I think even JT might have problems finding speakers that could handle that.

The problem with you lot is that you are thnking in terms of restrictive "significant feature" definitions instead of generative and fuzzy archtypal depictions.

Think fuzzy!
  16. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    My problem is that I don't quite get the intended distinction between choices 2 and 3.

I am quite sure, however, that the choice is between 2 and 3: that is, the electric bass guitar is a member of the guitar family. That's why they call it that. Just as a mandobass is a member of the mandolin family and could in fact be described as a bass mandolin, and a bass saxophone is a member of the saxophone family, and a bass flute is a member of the flute family, and a bass balalaika (yes, they exist, more's the pity) is a member of the balalaika family.

I honestly don't understand why that's hard for anyone to accept. It never bothers me if someone says about one of my basses, "hey, that's a nice guitar," because in my view, it is in fact a guitar, of the bass variety.
  17. pd_5string

pd_5string Admin: Accnt Disabled

Jan 23, 2002
    Not really. It is based on 4ths b/c the sheer size of the upright made it impossible to cover one position based on 5ths. So this translated over to bass guitar.

18. I'd just like to point out that option three was an act of sabotage by some moderator or moderators unknown (but I have my suspicions!). It was not part of my original poll.

I ask you to answer this with your heart, not your logic!
  19. It's a Bass Guitar. Simple as that..
    Is it me, or does talkbass seem kind of lame lately? Yep! I know most of you are going to say it's me, but IMO this thread is just another lame topic/poll.:eek: eeeeeeeeeeek! I think I'll go play my Bass guitar now.
  20. It's a hybrid instrument, IMHO.

It has the exact same range as a double bass, correct?*

Leo (the man) actually created a new instrument in making a guitar-like instrument, which is held like a guitar, but covers the bass' range. It's basically played like an upright (especially a fretless) unless you bring the pick arguement into this. See, it has Daddy's voice and Mommy's slim shape.

I just thought; where does a Spanish Guitarron fit in?
    Acoustic bass guitar?

Mike J.
    *Which also has the same range as a trombone, No?