The Poor Mans Rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sound Guy Paul, Apr 15, 2001.

1. I am looking for a good bass amp that has great tone and a lot of nice features. I have been looking at SWR's stuff and really like it. Especially the Megoliath and Mo'Bass. But Alas. I am a poor teenager trying to raise money for these by mowing lawns. Granted i make $2,000 a year mowing lawns, I can afford something I would consider good but I dont know what. I have been looking at Carvin but the more I consider it it just scares me. I want at least a 450 watt amp and I have been looking at an 8x10 or the traditional 4x10 with a 1x15, but I just dont know. I play in a band where unlike traditional drummers, our drummer plays very soft so I dont have much to worry about there. If anyone knows a good rig for around $1,000-1,500 I would be appreciative
  2. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    You could check out a Peavey Firebass head (475 watts into 4 ohms, 700 watts into 2 ohms).

You can either get the Peavey 810TX cabinet or you could go the 410 and 1 15 route.

You can get into either setup for under $1500.
  3. Congrats on wanting more power, aesthetically, as well as emotionally. Have you considered a new job??? Lookin' at what you want is going to cost you a year's wages to get it. Then what??? Get it stolen, or it breaks down, whacha goin' to do.
    Man, I have been playing gigs for 9 years now locally, and there is never a better job than a good one. One that helps you earn while you play. Being a musician gets you no-where sounds like you are young, so keep perspiring at being a better musician, so you can keep progressing, and be more utilized.

Okay, off my soap box. Go for the Carvin. They kick a##. I haven't had a problem yet w/ any of their gear I use. They are cheap, and blow the sox off all the other names that were dropped in your previous replies. Their quality and sound are unsurpassed. They are custom..... Probably wonder how much they pay me to say this, but I won't tell ya. :) Just kidding, I have been using their stuff for years now, and it is top notch. It is worth the $....

4. This is in response to the young aspiring musician who wanted more for his buck....
  5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Carvin is OK, but to say it is "unsurpassed" would be an overstatement. There's a lot of stuff out there that will surpass it easily. Bang-for-buck-wise, it's among the better options.
  6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Munji, we're agreeing way too often ;)

Ahh, the good old days.
  7. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Hi there! I was going to give you my 2 cents
    on a rig for $1500 or less. I would suggest
    what I currently have. The following can be
    purchased from Bass Northwest at the following
    prices. I am not in love w/ the Ampeg, but
    it drives the cabs well enough. If you wanted
    to spend a couple extra bucks, I would also
    suggest a Eden WT400 Traveler plus as a it is:

Ampeg SVT3 Pro 450 Watts - $699 (list under special sales)
    Bag End 1x15 - $400
    Bag End 1x15 - $400

total - $1500

The sounds is loud and articulate and will
    accomodate most playing styles except
    for really hard core intricate tapping and
    slapping (no tweeters). The portability
    is GREAT. You only need bring 1x15 if
    that's all that's required. Two will fill out
    almost any club or venue.

Call BassNW and ask for advice. The
    crew there all highly recommends Bag
    Ends and I agree
  8. yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    Which thread was this a reply to? Let me know and I'll merge them together.
  9. Originally posted by PLehmer
    I am looking for a good bass amp that has great tone and a lot of nice features . I have been looking at Carvin but the more I consider it it just scares me.

Yeah if good value,customer service,and sturdy products scare you then stay away from Carvin!

;) :D
  10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

yawnsie, I think it was intended as a reply to the 'Poor Man's Rig' thread.

I got an Eden WT-300 and a pair of D-210Ts for a total of $1115, plus shipping. They retail for about $2500 new, and about $1800 in stores. One of the D-210Ts smells a bit like smoke, and the WT-300 has some scratches here and there, but the sound is beautiful, and that's all that counts.
  12. yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    Yeah, I think you're right. I've merged them together.
  13. I was just being a wise ass rickbass! lol From what I have read/heard Carvin amps/instruments are good solid value for the buck! :D
  14. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Usul - I see how you intended it now, (should have read it more closely), so I deleted it.
  15. Here's the deal on bass amps. No matter what make or model, expensive or cheap ALL bass amps stink. No one has ever made a good bass amp and no one ever will. I own three amps that serve me very well but I will not recommend them to anyone.
    Same with my bass guitars. I suggest you hop on your mower and take a trip down to the local music store and try out as many bass amps as you can and buy the one you like the best.
    Anyway for $1000-$1500 you should be able to get an amp that will last a long time and pay for itself many times over!!! Good Luck!!!
  16. check ebay and lok for used stuff from your local dealers
    my current setup is

Gallien Krueger 800RB (300 for lows, 100 for highs)
    which cost me 300 off of ebay

Bag End 4x10
    350 local dealer

looking for 18inch speaker for my lows but might just go for the ampeg 1x15 classic caab for 200 bucks

thats mucho cheap but maybe im just lucky
  17. bassics

Nov 27, 2000
    Newark, Ohio
    I bought a Peavey MKIV w/ a 2x15 cab for $400
    in a pawnshop, it's rated at 210 watts @ 8 ohms,
    and is more than enough power to loosen ceiling tiles in any of the local clubs and bars. It also has a good variety of tones due to the two channels with separate eq's, and a third graphic eq.
    This amp is a tank and requires a van or truck to move, but is practicaly indestructible.
  18. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I bought a used Randall RBA500 a few years ago.....THAT is a tank! If it had some wheels on it, I could drive it to work.
  19. Why not?
  20. jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    I'm with RL311 -- check out the Peavey stuff. Been real happy with mine and I didn't get hosed on the price in the process.