Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

the popping effect !!!

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by Funkin'_Bassist, Sep 22, 2002.

1. ppl usually pop with their index finger, my prop. is that I got used to pop with my middle finger ... wut should I do keep doin' it the way I do?? or change it to be with my index finger??

2. dog boy

dog boy

Aug 24, 2002
    australia
    i use both index and middle because i pop with two strings at the same time alot. theres not really any right and wrong with popping

3. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Whatever is comfortable!

Mike

4. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Flea uses that finger, i belive, and he's a slap pop machine. so, as whats his name above me said, whatever is comfortable.

5. alx564

alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
    Lots of people use both fingers. I use two and my teacher actually can sometimes use three in quick succesion on one string to get a really cool sound. If you want to get stronger with both fingers just in case you need to use them both just practice alternating them. Start slowly and work your way up. It can't hurt to know how to use them both.

I would recommend The Slap Bass Program by Alexis Sklarevski. Its a great program and comes with a video that he takes you through every riff. It really helps with you technique and also introduces you to a lot of new ones.