Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The popularity of bass players

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Russy, Apr 29, 2002.

1. Hi guys

This is my first thread. After seeing numerous bands from jazz to cover bands and playing myself I noticed that being a bassist does not look important to the listener, but extremely important to fellow band members.This finding has caused me to sometimes play with more passion to get some attention.It just happens that guitar players / keyboard players and drummers get all the chicks here where I live , but the bassist gets very little recognition. :(

2. supergreg

supergreg

Jan 20, 2002
    I say just slap and pop as loud and obnoxiously(sp?) as you can.:rolleyes: :D. I usually dont have a any trouble with not getting noticed because I know everyone in the band as an equal importance. I know that I have my place in the band.

3. Russy it's actually WORSE! Look at Pop (ugh!)

We live in the "singer era" where instrumentalists are dissed completely. Back in the 80s you could dream of being a Sting, or a John Taylor (Duran Duran), or a Geddy Lee (Rush)... Now only singers are allowed fame. Unless you are a character like Flea or Hoppus or sing... you are (bleeeeep).

Bands with instruments? Fuggedaboudda! Hip Hop Killed The Funk Band Star!

Notice all these unreal "h*-type" blondes and "cutie" boy bands in videos???. I see about 20% (?) of the instrument gear I'd see in the 80s videos. Billy Joel had all of his band guys in many videos. Duran Duran were image-friendly but they PLAYED instruments and actually John got a lot of attention (though again image did it)...the Go-Go's were "rock chicks" WITH instruments even if they were musically impaired.

WHAT KID WOULD WANT TO PLAY NOT BASS BUT EVEN GUITAR IF HE/SHE SEES ONLY SINGERS GET FAME??? THIS IS DISTURBING...

BUT GUESS WHAT? (BLEEEEEP) THE (BLEEEP) (BLEEEOOOEEP) WORLD AND THE RECORDING INDUSTRY AND IGNORANTS AND PLAY THAT (BLEEPIN' BLIP BLOP BLUP BLEEE-E-E-E-E-E-E-E-B-B-B-B-P) BASS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you like BASS? Playin' it? All the answers are there. I had it clear from the start the "get into music to get 'chicks'" philosophy does not work.

4. slade

slade

Apr 5, 2001
    Being the forgotten member is where it's at- you can always avoid band drama- but trust me- the ladies may start out diggin' the guitarist- but always end up with the bassist- it's a fact!
    Slade

5. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    NWB, bass players have always been unnoticed. I don't think sting became famous because he played bass.

Try to think of any bassists that are known among non-musicians that aren't lead singers... Noel Redding? Mingus... that is all i can think of...

6. b0nes83

b0nes83

Dec 14, 2000
    where im from chicks have always digged the rythm section...peace
    Chad

7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

8. Just make your presence on stage known, and have a reputation for being cool/wild/crazy/etc.

9. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I still don't get the whole "the bassist doesn't get any recogition" thing. I get at least one compliment from someone per gig. I'm not bragging cause I don't think I'm great, but I find the whole "Bassist never get in attention" thing untrue. (at least in my case)

10. Damn straight, no one ever notices me, unless they are a bass player. About a year ago I was catching the bus home after a gig, and i was sat with some friends of my friend who had come along. They were talking about the bands, and then they got on to my band. After hearing some rather brutal criticisms of the band (which im not in any more) they went on to comment on how good the guitarist was (this is who they came to see) and then someone said "yep, that bass player was really good too". My friend looked at me and i said to the guy "naa, i think he was just showing off too much". The guy looked me dead in the eye and still didnt realise I was the bass player.

sim

11. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Unfortunately, that's just a Rennselaer County thing. ;)

12. Cort45

Cort45

Mar 1, 2002
    US, TX, Austin
    what pisses me off is that music videos always focus in on the guitar player. Everytime i watch a music video i always get distracted trying to catch a glimpse of the bass player.

13. Rickbass said:
    Ouch!

14. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

No offense intended DD. That's why I included the "I've known" limitation. (Cool that you're interested in this non-drummer site!).

But, playing punk, straight up rock, blues, R&B, and soul over the years, all I know is my drummer experience.

Being a bassist, the primary person I am trying to get joined at the hip with is the drummer and I have big time respect for them as musicians and as "good people", free of the disingenuousness and overblown egotism of many lead guitarists.

But, IME, they just never seemed to be Mensa candidates or big SAT scores. No matter, I'd rather spend time with sincere people than pseudo-intellectuals anyday. The drummers I have known have sure been in touch with their emotions, which is essential to a good drummer, IMO. They play what they "feel", not what they "think".......(did I say "Neil Peart???" :D ).

15. No offense taken.

I've been hanging out here for a couple of months now. This site has really help me a lot with respect to learning the bass. I did my first "gig" on bass this past weekend at church. A few "plinkers" here and there but, all in all, not too bad. I had a gas doing it.

I agree on the bass/drummer pocket, if that's not happening, the band is screwed.

I've got to find out where it is that those drummers are the ones that the babes go for. I must be playing the wrong places.

Without drums and bass, lead guitarist would look even more foolish than they do now.