Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The 'Post your home-stained bass' thread!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by philthygeezer, Jan 14, 2004.

1. philthygeezer

philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    If you've stained the body of your bass by yourself, please post a pic of it here!

I'm interested in seeing how many of us are successful at this when we try it. Particularly interested in pics of coloured swamp ash but I'd like to see them all for Inspiration!

Thanks!

2. well this is my MIA jazz that i did in a tung oil and then clear coat of polyurethane...

(sorry for the blurry pic)

[​IMG]

3. Czar

Czar

May 6, 2003
    New Jersey
    Colored tung oil, with waterlox clear coat over swamp ash
    [​IMG]
    Minwax stain, tung oil "clear coat" on mohag.
    [​IMG]

4. wingnutkj

wingnutkj

Mar 27, 2003
    Scotland
    This is my oak-on-alder Warmoth Jazz, which is my first attempt at staining and finishing a bass.

I stained with Colron wood stain (a shade called "mellow pine" or something - the range is readily available in UK DIY stores), then finished with Liberon Finishing Oil (the UK equivalent of Tru-Oil, I guess).

I'm pretty happy with how it turned out - the staining added a depth to the top that it wouldn't have had otherwise, but the alder end-grain sucked up a lot of stain and became very dark when viewed from certain angles. Maybe if I'd sealed it, it wouldn't have happened, but I think it looks great.

I did quite a few coats of tung oil (8-10), but I should probably have done more preparation between the last few coats - it's not the best.

[​IMG]

Kenny

5. philthygeezer

philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    That's a fantastic job!

6. BigTopBruno

BigTopBruno

Sep 6, 2002
    NJ, USA

...wow...sweet!

Here's my MIM P, tung oil (clear poly) and Butcher's wax.[​IMG]

7. Maple top on Alder body, both stained really dark Amber.

Here she is at the beginning, before dying.

[​IMG]

8. Here she is after the die and before wetsanding.

[​IMG]

9. omg! groovecenter! that is awesome!

10. philthygeezer

philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    Did you do that with the Woodburst coloured tung oils? If so, which one did you use?

11. Czar

Czar

May 6, 2003
    New Jersey
    Yep..Bing Cherry

12. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Thats really nice!

13. philthygeezer

philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    How did you apply it? How many coats did you use? Was it a tough job?

Thinking about doing this to an SG bass.

14. Czar

Czar

May 6, 2003
    New Jersey
    Real easy. I just wiped it with a paper towel, let sit for 5-10 min. Then rubbed down with a clean towel. I did about 10 coates.

I didnt fill the grain because I was going for a flat, worn look. I changed my mind at the end and added a gloss coat of Water Lox.

You should really fill the grain if you want to get a smooth "pro-like" finish.

You can fill and finish with the tung oil by appying the coats using sandpaper and forcing the oil/wood dust paste into the grain.

15. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Cool thread! I'm getting ready to buy a Carvin BK4 fretless kit and this info is very helpful.

16. philthygeezer

philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    Has anyone tried to make a two-tone finish?

17. doc540

doc540

Jul 28, 2003
    Beaumont, Texas
    '69 Jazz, original sunburst, stripped and oiled with Watco finishing oil.

If I'd known what a hassle it was gonna be to strip the original finish (and tough as steel sealer) I'd never have started the project.

But I was young and foolish 30 years ago.

[​IMG]