Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The power of 12

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by americanmade, Mar 26, 2005.

1. americanmade

americanmade

Feb 12, 2005
    I checked out Guitar Center and Sam Ash today and found a total lack of 12 inch bass cabinets. Everybody on here recommends the Avatar 212 cabinet, so I fugured I would go compare 410s with 212s just to get a general idea of the different feel the cabinets have. If somebody could try to explain the difference besides just saying better lows because I found that an SWR 410 seemed to hand out plenty of low end thump. I currently play a Hartke BA60 combo with a 12 inch speaker, but it is hard to get a full understanding without having 2 cabs side by side to compare. Thanks.

2. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I have NOT owned a 410, but I've had 2x8, 110, two 110 cabs, and two 112 cabs. for my taste I like the sound of more than one speaker vibrating at a time. a 112 cabinet all by it self will usually sound deeper than 110 all by itself. (if we are talking about well tuned good quality cabs) two 12" cabs move about as much air, or have as much surface area as a 310 cabinet. I like my two separate aguilar gs112 cabs when I use them together, some people say two separate gs112s sound deeper and an aguilar 212 cabinet, I'm not sure, but I DON'T WANT TO CARRY A 212 OR 410 OR EVEN A 115, so I've got what I have.

I think 10"s versus 12"s or even 15" etc is a matter of musical style and band need. 10s might be better for slap, 12s may be deeper, but not totally great for filling a huge room or really massive lows. 15s are probably better yet for really large,loud lows.

3. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    12s are just great all around in my view. However, it all depends on the cab and the drivers. For instance, an Aggie 212 won't sound like a GK 212 nor an Avatar 212. It all depends on the cab. However, I like the Avatar 212 very much. I used one at a fund raiser once and it had some nice lows and some awesome thump. :bassist:

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I played 410's and 215's for years. My first 12" cabinet was an Avatar SB112. I moved on to my current 112, the Epifani NYC T-112. It is an awesome cabinet. I am an Epifani guy for life. These cab's are the best.

-Mike

5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    well lesse..............

i would say use the search but this forum setup tends to hate things like 12"........................... :meh:

i forget if i posted a link to a speaker diameter thread in the FAQ sticky. how 'bout someone beside me look? ;)

anyhow, here's the deal (more or less). in the early days twelves got the short end of the stick as far as bass was concerned. (yes, john entwistle used them, yes marshall made a 30 watt greenback speaker for bass, but those were exceptions). where was i........? oh yeah, anyhow twelves got arbitrarily designated as the diameter to make most guitar speakers (which are built diffferently than bass or pa speakers). most companies decided on fifteen inch speakers for bass, a few used eighteens, and ampeg followed the example of the early fender bassman and used ten inch drivers in the famed svt cabinet.

pretty soon it was almost all fifteens except for the svt, and no tens to speak of outside that. then along comes hartke, trace elliot, and swr/eden. next thing you know the 4x10 cab is all the rage in the mid 80's up to the present day.

as for twelves, bag end had been quietly making 1x12, 2x12, and for a short while, 4x12 cabs, but even they considered them mostly to be a guitar cab. some other companies had also produced bass twelves, but it was not so easy to find anyone using them. i "disremember" the year, or who started it, but sometime in the late 90's or early 00's a bevy of 1x12 and 2x12 cabs came out. even then they didnt seem to catch on completly until bass player did their 1x12 shootout, and when they started praising cabs like the eden and epifani two-twelves.

a gross oversimplification is to say that tens are "fast" with "smooth mids" and "detailed", fifteens have "more low end" are "boomy", with "barky mids" and are "sluggish" but not as much so as eighteens, and twelves seem to be a comprimise and are still "fast" with "solid low end", without becoming "boomy".

now for the truth. it's all over the place from cab to cab, manufacturer to manufacturer, etc. every configuration and design is different. the design of the speaker and the speaker cabinet affects the sound in a huge way. my bag end 12 has less low end than a lot of cabs with tens, but has aggressive mids and more speed than just about any ten i've heard. aguilar twelves have super low end, rivaling a lot of fifteens, but are high mid-shy. both are awesome speakers in their own way. ditto for ea wizzies, epifani, bergantino, and a dozen others.

another thing to consider is that with most manufacturers, a 212 souinds a heck of a lot different than a 1x12. epifani 1x12 cabs have very present mids, with a tight low end. the 2x12 has a tight low end allright, but it's massive compared to even two 1x12 cabs. however, the mids arent quite as present. once again, both are awesome sounds, but only you can tell which one is for you.

now, arent you glad i made this all simpler??? :p :rolleyes: :p

6. RLT

RLT

Jul 10, 2004
    South Central OH
    So it boils down to: It's not the name, it's not the size, and it's not the number.
    It's in the sound and the feel to you.

7. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    darn, ya mean i coulda said it like that????

i should be shot for using so much bandwidth - :p

8. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    After trying a Schrodinger 1212, I found that it is great across the spectrum! Good lows, good mids, its pretty fast, and best of all its light as hell! Wish I had the cash to get it though...

9. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    methinks you may have mistaken a cat for a cab........... :p

10. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I was thinking something along these lines when I responded before... a poorly designed cab with 12s can have less lows than a cab with 10s and vice versa, maybe even some 10s deeper than a poorly designed or 'cheap' 15".

THE KEY: listen before you buy and get what you think will sound good with your situation.