Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The power of midi

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TaySte_2000, May 1, 2002.

1. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    What can you do with a midi equiped bass?

2. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    Trigger sounds from a synth or sound module.

3. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Yup.

You could also do program changes and control sequences, but then, you could also do this with a cheap midi control pedal.

4. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Yep. The MIDI signal out of the bass can drive an expander, a sampler, a synthesizer, etc... so that you can double your bass part with another.

In studio, you play your bass part, and simultaneously record the bass as audio and the "score" as MIDI. There again, you can then double your bass part with another, but also this simplifies your life if you have to edit a score that includes your bass part.

All the best,

5. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I'm sure they make great door stops, too.

6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    what did you want it to do? wash your car? ;) :D

7. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    So your sure it won't wash my car.

But seriously midi sucks from the sound of it why is it still included as an option on certain basses and it's kind of expensive. It's like $400 extra for a midi conklin.

Oh JT I was wondering do you have any stock conklins or are they all custom models.

8. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Maybe you're thinking of General MIDI? There is a certain set of sounds that are usable with any MIDI interface, and, granted, they are kind of cheesy. However, MIDI has come a long way, and there are some fantastic sounds out there that are made espcially for bass.

I read some interview with a cat who plays a six string MIDI Yamaha and summed it up nicely. "Now I'm not just a good bass player, I'm a good EVERYTHING player." MIDI really opens up your options.

Sometimes I wish I had MIDI. But then I think about how much trouble I have playing regular bass, and how it wouldn't make life easier if I was a sucky MIDI harmonica/flute/gong player. :D

9. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    au contraire, mon frere, midi most certainly does _not_ suck. if you have a decent c-v unit with good tracking, like the axon ax100, and some good sound sources, you can have some _kick ass_ patches going on - trigger samples, multiple layered sounds - shoot i can play any synth i want with my bass. combined with the roland modeling technology like what's available in the vg88 and now the vbass, and you've got all kinds of kick ass sound options available.

all customs - all but 2 were made for me, the other 2 i scored off of ebay.