Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The power of music...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Sheep Man, Feb 12, 2003.

1. So I was sitting in my East Asian Ethical Thought lecture earlier this morning, daydreaming and what not, and then for some reason or other, Rush's "Nobody's Hero" started playing through my mind.

So, after class I grabbed a burger at Carl's Jr. and came back to my room. I slapped in the Counterparts CD, and went to track 4.
    About a minute into the song, I started singing along and found myself on the verge of tears.

Now, I've always thought it was a really touching song and if I ever found out that an old friend who I had lost touch with over the years had passed away, I would undoubtedly have that song in rotation on my stereo or discman, but this has never happened to me before. Maybe it's in combination with the crappy weather we're having here in LA right now, even though it's a lot nicer than Hong Kong during rainy season.

I dunno, just thought I'd share that with y'all. Anyone else have any other stories of music moving them to tears for no reason that they could see (at the time)?

2. thats........beautiful man.........

3. Wow .

:bawl: :bawl:

Yeah , plenty of stories , but I'm waaaaaay to tired to type 'em ...maybe tomorrow .

4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I am not familiar with that rush song, so I can't fully understand what your precise experience was, but I think I can relate nontheless.

Most often with Jaco, I find myself playing the song over in my head, and as soon as I can get to my cd player I put the song on, and sit back and its always a very powerful experience, doesn't matter what the song is about, sometimes I just have to listen to certain music, and when I do its the most satisfying thing ever.

5. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    No stories of being moved to tears. But me being moved to tears isn't something that happens, generally.

But at the moment, Jaco's album Word Of Mouth moves me. In particular - Three Views Of A Secret. I think it's such a beautiful song.

6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I second that moley...when I think about it, I don't think I've ever been moved to tears, very rarely at least, especially by music. "three views of a secret" I love that song, especially the harmonica, it just doesn't any more perfect.

7. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Word.

The harmonica really makes that song. It's a beautiful song, and Toots' playing is perfect in it.

8. FuturePrimitive

FuturePrimitive Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2000
    Rochester, NY
    Most of the songs on Springsteen's Nebraska are pretty moving. "My Father's House" being quite emotional. Alas, no bass on that album though. :bawl: Can't say I've ever been brought to tears but I do know what you mean. Some songs have quite an emotional impact, not always the "sad" ones either.

9. Springsteen's "Born To Run" had just come out and I had a little "incident" with a female...that song reminded me so much of what happened. I used to put that song on with the headphones and it would really get to me.

Layla, always put me in a mood, but then you have to kinda live through something like it.

Had a friend who used to put "Expecting To Fly" by Buffalo Springfield on and just cry her eyes out.

Gee, I think I could list a lot of songs that have moved me...probably too many songs. And I am fortunate enough to write a few that meant something to others.

A great composer once wrote: "HE who does not compose according to his feelings, falsifies his work and his song." That's my credo.