Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Practice Rig Thread

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bucephylus, Mar 6, 2006.

1. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    Of course, we all try to find the one rig that has the tone for the gigs, but any other geezers like me who have been at this a while probably have some rather "esoteric" equipment that you would never take out on a gig, but use at home for learning parts. So, I thought it might be kind of a kick to hear what you guys are NOT using on the gig.

My Practice Rig consists of two pieces with some rather odd history. In short, it is a Seymour Duncan Bass 400 head sitting atop a home brew cabinet with a JBL K-140 in it. I use a BP8 out front, and the whole thing looks like !@#$, but it actually sounds quite excellent.

The Duncan, I acquired first about 18 years ago as part of a deal for a Hartke Transporter 4X10 which is long gone. I then sold the Duncan about 14 years ago as part of some less memorable deal. The K-140 I bought new at Fiddlers Music in East Detroit about 30 years ago, and then I built the cab from some engineering I ginned up, but can't remember. It is 3/4" plywood, unfinished with no handles. I sold it about 12 years ago for around $125. The raw plywood has taken on a vintage luster over the years.

So, about two years ago, this guy at work says, "Hey, you play bass, don't you? Well, I've got a deal for you. I know this guy selling a bass head and two cabs." Of course, it was the Duncan head, which no longer worked, and the JBL cab plus a Carvin 4x10. He said I could have the lot for $150. I offered $125. I mean, I'm not going to get ripped off here. There was a lot of hemming and hawing, but that's what I got the whole thing for. I figured by this point, at least the JBL was worth that. A big plus was that the plywood cab was covered in cowboy stickers.

So, sure enough the Duncan no longer had any output, and I reasoned the only parts that could be bad were the output transistors (wrong), ordered a bunch of replacements, installed them, and it still didn't work. After moving out here to Phoenix, I found a decent electronics shop, took the head in and the problem turned out to be some corrosion on the effects loop contacts. oops. Anyway, that cost another $35. I figured this to at least be vindication of my solder work on the outputs.

This rig is decidedly old school, and I would probably never think about taking it on the gig, especially because the cab is so "unique;" though I do consider covering it in carpet every now and then. But that would make it look too respectable. Oh, I did peel off the cowboy stickers, though they might have gone over just dandy here in Phoenix.

I don't know, maybe I'll take this contraption out on the gig some time just to see the shocked look on the guitarists' faces.

Any of the rest of you cats have classy rigs like this at home?

2. My practice amp is a "The Singing Machine STVG-500" Karaoke Machine that my mother in law bought me for Christmas "because I'm into music". It sounds pretty good, for something that was never intended to be used as a bass amp. Pretty quiet though.

3. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I have a headphone amp for marriage saving practice and a Behringer Ultrabass for the office.

4. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    At home I use: Bass -> loooper -> cheap mixer -> ART SLA-1 -> old Radio Shack(RIP) bookshelf speakers. I also run my computer into the mixer for both mp3s and recording. Assorted other things, like a Tascam BT-1 and a boombox, also run into the mixer. For "marriage saving practice" (tm syciprider) I also have headphones plugged into the mixer.

I use the loooper so I can add effects easily and silently. I also use it as a mute.

I also have a rig permanently setup where I practice once a week. Bass -> DIY preamp -> power amp -> modded LDS 1x12/1x6 cab. Saves me hauling equipment back and forth and leaving it unprotected all day. The practice is 5 minutes from work but 20 minutes (one way) from home so I just eat supper at work and go straight to practice.

5. I use a Crate model 1B. 30 watts, 1x12 loaded into(allegedly)an army surplus .50 caliber ammo crate- hence the name. My second amp, bought new in '78 or so. It actually does the DB fairly nicely.:eek:Also, technically I must disqualify myself from this thread, as I used it in Church Sunday morning; we threw an 'unplugged' mini-set into the middle of the usual loud contemporay stuff. Worked OK w/a Washburn ABG.