1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The Praise and Worship Band Bassists Club Part 17

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by j-raj, Jan 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
  2. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process...

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Whoah!

3. mkandolf

mkandolf

Nov 21, 2007
    Saint Clair, MI
    Thank j-raj!

4. During our contemporary service, we play 4-5 songs, 2 at the beginning. There's always a pause between the first 2 songs as we shuffle the sheet music. The pastor has asked us to fill that 15-20 seconds of time with some dialog about the music we're playing. I'm looking for other ideas on what we might do to fill that time.

As an example, I might look for short video messages either meditative or scriptural related to the Pastor's theme that the AV folks could tee up for that time. Any other ideas would be most appreciated. Are any 'fillers' folks have used successfully which contribute to the overall worship experience?

5. JMimbs

JMimbs

Jan 5, 2012
    Central Florida
    And we're up! Awesome!

6. JMimbs

JMimbs

Jan 5, 2012
    Central Florida
    Hahaha. :rolleyes: Our worship leader usually talks during that time, trying to lead into the song. Honestly most people don't care for it, including the pastor. I think reading scripture is a great idea, either tying into the song, the upcoming sermon, or both.

7. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    Part 17. Rock on!

8. ExaltBass

ExaltBass Gold Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    Keyboard 'wash' or acoustic guitar strumming intro under a brief spoken greeting by the WL ... click-click-click-click... on to the next song.

9. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    A light weekend of music for me. Drum set tonight. 6-hour band practice Saturday. Sunday...I sleep in for the first time in a long time.

10. klokker

klokker

Jan 7, 2009
    Steele City, NE
    We play three songs to open our worship. Sometimes our keyboard player does something in between songs. But people clap when we're done (most of the time) and by the time that's over we're ready with the next song.

I guess the issue doesn't come up for us. I don't even use PDF's for the most part, most of our band doesn't either. We probably take about 10 seconds in between songs......if people are fumbling around with music maybe they just need to be more on top of things.

Silence can be an important part of worship as well.

11. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    We do the same, mostly relying on the keys to fill the void. We won't usually talk until after the second or third song. I also try and have the chord charts for the first two songs visible, if possible, so I don't have to shuffle charts.

12. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    A beginner's cello has appeared on my local CL and a price I can afford. I am so tempted right now, as I love the sound of acoustic bass, and a cell is just a bass violin -- tuned to 5th, it is like what I already know on violin, but with a lower string.

From some reading, it possible to re-string and tune for EADG bass tuning.

13. mkandolf

mkandolf

Nov 21, 2007
    Saint Clair, MI
    In the immortal words of Rocky Balboa... "Go for it." :bag:

14. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    And I briefly considered buying a short scale bass and tuning it to CGDA to avoid buying a fiver! Just goes to show that one size does not fit all. If I already played violin I don't think I would tune my cello in fourths, you get more range from fifths so why not make use of the violin skills? If you want to get back the 25 Hz you give up in the cello standard tuning how about EBGbDb?

Ken

15. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    True dat.

I am used to GDAE on my fiddle and have no experience on a 5-string fiddle. Most of the tunes for my acoustic duo are in D or G, sometimes into second octave. I guess I would have to finally learn second position? :D

Yes, you read that right. I play my fiddle solely in first position, as it is all I've ever needed for my Irish and bluegrass tunes.

16. It's something that bugs me with my fellow musos (MD/WL is the worst as he shuffles sheets, but every-so-often books too - and he's on keys so no filling in from him). All my music is copied to A4 size ("letter" size for you guys across the pond :smug:), slotted into clear sleeves, popped, in order, into a small ring-bound file, and that's then on the music stand. Total time to change songs, ooh, 2 seconds?

That's not saying there can't be something said twixt songs. But, as for shuffling sheets, in my very humble (hopefully brotherly) opinion there is no excuse for any delay.

M. <><

17. Versatek6

Versatek6 Fretless is like Trombone Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2008
    Twin Cities, MN
    Ditto. All our music is punched for 3-hole binders. 3-4 seconds between songs, maximum. Unless there are capos or instrument changes, then the MD/pianist fills for a few seconds extra.

I have been moving the one-time and seasonal music out of my 2" binder for a couple years. It is heavy enough that it causes my music stand to bottom out if I bump it. Very annoying on those songs on which I actually need to read the chart. Us "plankholders" probably have over 200 charts on paper.

18. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process...

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    It annoyes me when our guitarist does this as well..

We do a ton of stuff that uses more than 2 pages, so three-ring binder isn't doable for those of us with both hands busy. I'm able to spread out most of them.

It takes me about 2 seconds to change basses, too. I make sure our WL knows that is happening in rehearsal, so he can either fill with music or words.

19. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    I'm not blind, so I just print multiple songs per page. I can read 8pt Arial just fine at 2 feet.

20. Mr. Majestic

Mr. Majestic Majestic Wood Supply Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2005
    From Louisiana/In Arkansas
    Majestic Swamp Ash
    I've played bass for many different churches and it seems every single one is different. It would take "three" pages to talk about only half of those differences!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.