1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The Praise and Worship Band Bassists Club Part 20

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by j-raj, Jul 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    Continuation from this thread.

2. Paladin54

Paladin54 Rockin' the root...

Feb 3, 2012
    Michigan
    Well, lets start this thread off right!

NEW GEAR!

I am heading out in an hour or so to go get my latest Craigslist deal.

I am getting a used Peavey Fury with a Peavey TKO 200watt amp with 15 inch Sheffield spkr

I am super excited and will post pics as soon as I can.

There is a heart painted on the pick guard. I am told it is nail polish so hopefully it should come off easily.

3. SoVeryTired

SoVeryTired Endorsing nothing, recommending much

Jul 2, 2011
    Milton Keynes, UK
    You know the rules: no pics, no nail varnish heart. :)

4. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process...

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    I just ordered a PedalTrain PT-1. It's a needed upgrade to clean up my current board.

5. Versatek6

Versatek6 Fretless is like Trombone Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2008
    Twin Cities, MN
    I've thinned down my pedals in the last year. What's left is:

Digitech Bass Synth Wah - mostly used for octave divider. Does a good "Tom Sawyer," too (not that I have anywhere to use that...).
    Digitech Bass Overdrive - kind of dark, used sparingly. Voted "Most likely to be replaced or removed."
    Digitech Bass Chorus - I really like the flexibility of this, and that it is tuned be a low-pass effect: more prevalent on higher frequencies.
    Morley optical volume - Had one for years. I like 'em. This one has the switchable minimum volume setting.
    Amp footswitch with contour, EQ, compressor and mute.

All the Digitech pedals have two outputs: clean and processed. From the clean out of the BSW, I run a Korg DT-7 tuner. Although it is an LED scale, I find it to be quite accurate. It also has several additional features. I run it chromatic, but it has bass and guitar settings, along with Buzz Feiten temperament and a pitch generator.

Tried and gone: flanger, wah, echo.

Minimum I would want would be volume and tuner; maybe add the amp switch. I have used none and been just fine.

6. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    I'm on drum set Friday night and Saturday morning. I'm hoping to play bass somewhere Sunday morning. Must...play...bass!

7. bassman314

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    My wah is also gone from previous incarnations. I used it so rarely, and found that the Q-Tron sifficed when I needed a funkier tone. Actually, the Q-Tron was better in most cases.

8. The only pedal I own is an Ernie Ball VP Jr. I gave my Boss BF-3 to my brother and used to own a Polish Love, Boss ODB-3, Sansamp BDDI (both original and deluxe), Boss RC-2 (I use my brother's RC-20XL now), Boss CS-3 and probably a few more.
    I found out that I'm not much of an effects guy, I just want and OD and a tuner. I was thinking about making my own tube circuit but that'd be a crap-ton of work.

I posted this right before the last thread ended:

I'm also looking for an OD pedal. I used a Boss ODB-3, Sansamp BDDI, and Polish Love. The Boss and Polish were way to much OD while the BDDI was better but thinned out my signal too much. I would like a Hillsong (pre-united, think of Take It All or All Day) sound or just a low OD, tubish sound.

9. bassman314

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    There are quite a few that can fit the bill. I really dig the HBE Hematoma. It has a clean boost and an Overdrive tone. Works very well.

I'm also debating picking up a Wren & Cuff Phat Phuc B. Yes, I understand the name is problematic, but it has exactly the warm, slightly gritty tone that I have been looking to compliment the Hematoma. I figure I can always cover the name with a bit of electrical tape if anyone objects.

Then again, our guitarist has been known to use a swollen pickle...

10. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    At the Synagogue and Vineyard Community Church, I am amp-less. So, I plan my board accordingly, to simulate using an amp.

SimpleBoard.

Speaker Simulator <- Overdrive <- Preamp

It works very well for my needs.

11. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    And....I'm playing at the Mason Vineyard Community Church this Sunday morning.

And my gospel/folk band is practicing Thursday night. Bring on the praise and glory! :bassist:

12. bassman314

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    And... I am off until after I get married in September!

13. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    Whoa! A whole month without playing? How will your sanity survive?

14. (long time lurker, recent supporter)

I've been playing in a worship band at our church since Nov 2010 or so. We also gig 4-5 times a year here and there.

Anyway, we play a lot of Tomlin, Redman, Hillsong, Passion Worship, etc. 150+ song library. I am very blessed to have a great bunch of folks to play with and for. And for gifted musicians who created the music in the first place.

Still can't sing and play bass at the same time... a little frustrating. And I get ribbing about my marked up charts being in sheet protectors...

Number, please?

Daryl W.

15. When I try to sing, I have to play bass plainly. I'd rather spice up the bass and not sing! ;)
    I also CANNOT talk to someone while playing bass. I totally hear them and understand them, but I guess I'm just zoned out! :smug:
    I find it much easier to play guitar or piano and sing then to play bass and sing.

16. Only one new acquisition. I just ordered a HipShot bass extender. We're playing a lot of songs in Bb & Eb lately.

17. Anybody here use flats at church? If so, what kind, and on what bass? I've used D'Addario Chromes with good results, but I'm looking at other options. Bass is a 5-string Squier Standard Precision Bass (Jazz pickups).

18. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    I only use flats. I hate the feel of rounds on my fingers.

GretschBass.

A fretless, short-scale Gretsch G2202 with D'Addario flats.

19. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota

20. RedsFan75

RedsFan75

Apr 26, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Hey Chad, seeing your Gretsch there reminds me, hows that shoulder and back doing?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.