1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Praise and Worship Band Bassists Club part 24

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by j-raj, Feb 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    Continuation from this.

2. 5StringFool

5StringFool

Jun 10, 2011
    Greenup, KY
    In first!! Woot. :D

3. SoVeryTired

SoVeryTired Endorsing nothing, recommending much

Jul 2, 2011
    Milton Keynes, UK
    In second!

4. ExaltBass

ExaltBass Gold Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    I'm in!

5. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process...

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Yup!

6. mkandolf

mkandolf

Nov 21, 2007
    Saint Clair, MI
    Thanks, j-raj!

Now, does anyone remember what people were talking about in the last one?

7. bassman314

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Seeker churches, bass playing, and possible kittens.

8. I haven't posted in this thread before... Need a number please. :)

I am a regular bass player in a band with my wife, 3 female singers, guitarist and I. We concentrate a lot on the 3 part harmonies, vocals and the message. The guitarist and I are not upfront, but support the girls. In this band, I mostly play a Michael Kelly Dragonfly 5 string fretless.

I am the regular bassist for our church's Saturday evening "Coffee shop" service. It is different every week and I play about 2 weeks a month because many times he has only one guitar. Sometimes we have guitar, cajon and bass. Depends on what the leader wants for the week, but when they have a bass, I am the guy.

I am 1st backup choice for our Sunday contemporary service. The main guy is oldschool, Fender, flatwounds, 4-string. No matter what they do, the bass doesn't stand out in the mix because of his tone and style. When I play, 5-string (Lightwave), I use those low notes quite a bit and have a much brighter tone, people always tell me that they heard this bass this Sunday. (I hope that is good)

Filled in the last two weeks in the Contemporary band. Set yesterday was:
    My Savior Lives (New Life Worship)
    Where I Belong (Building 429) --- I biffed the end, thought we were going back to the chorus and couldn't find the chord fast enough on the end, so just stopped.
    Desert Song (Hillsong Live)
    10,000 Reasons (Matt Redman)
    Worthy Is The Lamb (Hillsong Live)
    Beautiful King (Jonathan Lee)
    Wonderful, Merciful Savior

Will be nice to have a group to talk Praise and Worship Music with.

Kirk Dickinson

9. Jhengsman

Jhengsman

Oct 17, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    I wonder if I can point to the day I officially became old School :D. But then I am in the position that if I added another bass it will be my last day ;)

10. kevbethphx

kevbethphx

Dec 10, 2012
    Mesa, AZ
    It didn't take long to start another part.

How was everyone's Worship time? Our weekend had a powerful message about having faith to follow Him! Really spoke to me and made it a great service.

11. mdjuszyn

mdjuszyn

Nov 17, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Our drummer informed us he's started taking conga lessons and might try to purchase a set for our contemporary service. I think it is a great idea. It would be a nice change up to use congas on more ballad-style praise songs and give the drum set a rest. I've had similar thoughts about an acoustic bass guitar. Are many people mixing in ABG's into their Sunday bass rotation?

12. bassman314

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    I used to. I didnt like the pre-amp sound at all. You can't really use them without some form of amplification.

When we go "unplugged", I play fretless through a small amp, and dial in more of hte neck sound, so it sounds a bit like an upright.

13. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I do fretless for unplugged stuff. I can get my Roscoe to really mwah!

Never found an ABG that I liked and you always end up pluging them in anyway so why not just go electric?

14. Versatek6

Versatek6 Fretless is like Trombone Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2008
    Twin Cities, MN
    Ditto. I had a Ferrington ABG, which was relatively loud, and had a good tone, but just not heard without amp support. Huge case made it a chore to transport, too.

Sold that and now have a Kala U-Basss Hutch Hutchinson model. Also must be amplified, but is small, and sounds really good.

15. Sorry, I hope I didn't offend by my description of "old school". The other bassist is named Thad and he also plays guitar in a Bluegrass band. One day about 6 months ago, I was at their practice and I told Thad that his strings sounded really dead and didn't cut through the mix at all. I asked Thad how old the strings were... He scratched his head and said... "Well... I bought the bass used in 1986, and the strings were on it when I bought it. So at least that old."

The praise leader got tired of no tone and put a set of Rotosounds on it. That lasted 2 weeks and Thad put flatwounds back on it. He still doesn't like them, too bright, he is afraid that it may take a decade to get back to the string sound he wants.

:)

16. I have a Michael Kelly Dragonfly 5-string fretless. I use it in our smaller coffee shop band, but do run it into the PA. The Fishman Pre-amp is nice.

I really like the sound of it. It doesn't cut like an electric bass, but is very warm and enveloping bass tone. I dream of getting one of these some day in fretless:
    lw.

17. Jhengsman

Jhengsman

Oct 17, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    No offense taken, as a band in our present configuration old school quartet type Gospel is what we do best. IMO

18. JebDude

JebDude

Sep 22, 2010
    Minnesnowta
    Wow! :hyper: That is a nice looking bass. I want to try 5-string for the low notes, and I'm really thinking about a fretless for a wider range of tone. Pretty sure I want to stay with passives though. I don't play enough to trust battery life.

JB

19. bassman314

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Any active bass worth what you paid for it is designed to disconnect the battery when it is not plugged in. Also, the current draw is very slight. Playing for roughly 6-8 hours per week, I get about 6-8 months out of a single 9 volt. I keep a couple spares in my case, just in case.

20. R&B

R&B Both kinds of music: Rhythm AND Blues! Supporting Member

In for the new thread, and thanks for the number on the old one.

Our worship is liturgical. There is a fair amount of pipe organ and choir music (I love that, as I used to sing bass/baritone as mentioned in an earlier post).

The contemporary stuff was either piano alone or guitar alone, very well done. Since I was asked to join in 3 months back, now it is usually keys, acoustic/electric guitar and bass. There is a second guitarist at times. About 4-6 pieces per service, plus hymns. We typically do one uptempo piece for the offertory and maybe one other. Mostly it is contemplative ballad material. Suits me fine, as I am still fairly rudimentary as a bassist and we have minimal opportunity for rehearsal. We did rock out a bit yesterday on Everybody Praise the Lord. :)

Yes, it is a ministry. And I have seen that tasteful, restrained bass notes in the lower registers can really help people feel the emotional power of even the simplest P&W song.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.