1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The Praise and Worship Band Bassists Club

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by j-raj, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Eric_71

Eric_71 Supporting Member

Jul 22, 2011
    MSP
    ninjaaron, deepender and ExaltBass like this.
  2. JLY

JLY Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thinking the same thing

I really like my Roscoe’s and I was seriously considering a PJ but poplar for that price range? Surprised they did not just use alder v. poplar

3. ExaltBass

ExaltBass Just a BassGuy! Gold Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    I already have two, so don’t ask me to talk you out of it! :D

FunkSheep08, deepender and MTN.bass72 like this.
  4. ExaltBass

ExaltBass Just a BassGuy! Gold Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    Poplar

83F9571C-4361-445D-B0FA-BB4304DB1DBE.

FunkSheep08, kevk, joinercape and 5 others like this.
  5. ninjaaron

ninjaaron

Sep 26, 2014
    What's wrong with poplar? Not expensive enough?

deepender likes this.
  6. Eric_71

Jul 22, 2011
    MSP
    "Poplar

Doesn’t sound too bad, but we refer to it as 'the poor mans Alder' and normally use it for prototypes. Not something we normally sell, but if you want it, contact us."

It's not necessarily bad, but I see poplar on a lot of really cheap guitars as a way to save money. It grows really fast and is kind of a trash wood as a tree, but it probably sounds fine. It would just be like seeing a stingray made out of pine or something - puzzling.

FunkSheep08, deepender and ninjaaron like this.
  7. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right?

Apr 9, 2012
    Occasional Beta Tester for Confusion Studios, Singular Sound, and Source Audio
    More people should like it, because without u it's not popular.

8. ninjaaron

ninjaaron

Sep 26, 2014
    I dunno. An MM Bongo is made out of basswood, and that's also used in a lot of cheap instruments. For the price of that Roscoe, I have difficulty imagining the use of poplar as a cost-cutting measure in this case.

9. ninjaaron

ninjaaron

Sep 26, 2014
    Dad jokes so good, you'll throw up a little in your mouth!

deepender and Eric_71 like this.
  10. Eric_71

Jul 22, 2011
    MSP
    Right. Hence my confusion.

Basswood does have some specific tonal properties that make it a good choice on certain instruments, but as I understand it Poplar is just kind of a lesser version of Alder. I clearly don't have a ton of experience with these to know exactly what the differences are, but like you I figured that if you're charging over $2,000 for an instrument, the savings from Alder to Poplar would not be that great to justify it.

The most confusing thing in my mind is when the traditional body wood for a P bass is Alder, why switch to Poplar?

FunkSheep08, deepender and ninjaaron like this.
  11. Adamixoye

Apr 9, 2012
    I aim to please

12. joinercape

joinercape Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2007
    For the record there is less than $1.00 per board foot difference (Wholesale) in the cost of poplar, alder, or basswood the last time I checked. Having personally milled many thousand board feet of all three, and making a number of instruments out of them, I am of the opinion that finished properly very few if anyone could tell the difference.

FunkSheep08, kevk, Rayjay and 8 others like this.
  13. ninjaaron

ninjaaron

Sep 26, 2014
    I was actually having a discussion with my pastor yesterday regarding jokes with "putting Descartes before the horse/whores" as the punchline.

We found at least three. I think my favorite was about the horse who walks into a bar.

The bar keeper tells him he thinks he might be an alcoholic. Horse reflects for a moment, then says, "I don't think I am." He immediately disappears. Course, the joke is about cogito ergo sum, but if you let on right away, you'd be putting Descartes before the horse.

FunkSheep08, reddavid, Xad and 2 others like this.
  14. deepender

deepender

Jan 7, 2014
    Maryland
    I did NOT see tha coming.

Warwick Warrior and ninjaaron like this.
  15. I’m going to guess that’s Roscoe built a bass using poplar and thought it added something to the sound of a P-bass that was better than alder. Pine makes for a great Telecaster. Experimenting is good.

16. TrevorR

TrevorR

Oct 3, 2015
    Near London, UK
    Sad to say one of my favourite jokes is about a typeface/font...

Comic Sans walks into a bar. The barman says "We don't serve your type in here!"

17. deepender

deepender

Jan 7, 2014
    Maryland
    Not sure I like where this is heading...

Oh well, no stopping it now.

Bring on the bad jokes.

Here's one for the old guys.
    The king of the distant land of Trid kept his treasure on an island that could only be accessed by a bridge guarded by a troll. The Kings accountant was always allowed access on a regular basis to inspect the king's treasure without incident. One day, the accountant was crossing the bridge and was promptly kicked off the side of the bridge by the troll. He reported it to the king, who sent his bravest knight to face the troll. He was promptly kicked off the bridge. He sent knight after knight with the same results; kicked off the bridge. He then sent his son the prince, thinking that the troll would surely honor the prince and grant passage to the king's treasury. He also was kicked off the bridge. The king sent out a declaration stating that half of his kingdom would go to anyone who could get past the troll to the king's treasury. One after another, they tried and failed; every one kicked off the bridge by the troll. The king, in despair, consulted the Rabbi. (It was a Jewish kingdom) The Rabbi said, "Don't despair, let me speak with him. Perhaps I can persuade him to allow me passage". The king sent him on his mission. Upon reaching the bridge, the fearsome troll appeared. The Rabbi timidly asked the troll to let him pass. The troll stepped aside and allowed the Rabbi to proceed to inspect the king's treasure. Upon his return, he asked the troll, "Why didn't you kick me off the bridge as you did everyone else?" The troll answered, "Silly Rabbi, kicks are for Trids!"

FunkSheep08, ExaltBass and ninjaaron like this.
  18. ninjaaron

ninjaaron

Sep 26, 2014
    Agree completely,
    though, in the case of pine, that's actually the original Telecaster (er... Broadcaster) wood. Fender tried pine first and then switched to alder. (I think he was also the first person to start building guitars out of alder.)

It's kind of important to remember that our "traditional methods of constructing solid-body guitars and basses" are less than 75 years old, and reflect the state of an art that had only been in cultivation for a few years. In my view, they've become the standard more because of the cultural importance of the music created with them than because they'd reached the pinnacle of design.

I mean, they definitely did get a lot right back then (I gravitate toward Fender-like instruments myself), but, as you say, Experimenting is good.

19. hambonie

hambonie Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2015
    Florida
    Seriously think about workers comp. .the company has provisions for just this reason. Don't let pride get in the way of taking care of your body. If you truly suffered a work related injury, they will have no issues giving you compensation for your injury. Don't think with emotions.

Praying for you

20. Adamixoye

Apr 9, 2012
    A variation on this joke was possibly my favorite joke as a child, and I still love it.

My favorite "walks into a bar" joke is this: A grasshopper walks into a bar. The bartender says, "We have a drink named after you." The grasshopper says, "You have a drink named Steve?"