1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The Praise and Worship Band Bassists Club

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by j-raj, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Rudyboy98

Rudyboy98

Jan 25, 2008
    South Bay, CA
    Anyone ever do the switch from solid state to tube amp..or vice versa? I just can’t do it. I think guitar on tube sounds great. But bass...I am not so convinced.

To start with..it’s highly expensive to make the change. Second, they are heavy as heck to move. Third, the sound is not necessarily as beneficial in a live setting. If you’re on the tube- you’ve got to turn up the gain. Usually bass players need to sit back in the mix a bit- particularly in a P&W setting. Lastly, solid state amps tend to be improving in smaller units. Aguilar 500’s are a great example of this.

What say you all?

2. Rayjay

Rayjay

Sep 27, 2014
    Lahaina, Maui, HI
    If its gonna be that kind of party, I'll throw in my favorite joke...

This guy comes home from work and says "Honey, I'm gonna watch a little TV."

She says, "we don't HAVE a little TV!"

3. kevk

kevk Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Napa Valley
    I don’t have any good jokes...but my small (3-church) group had a good laugh and discussion over this vid...;)

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  4. Rayjay

Rayjay

Sep 27, 2014
    Lahaina, Maui, HI
    I load in to second story gigs with no elevator. I'm not going back to tubes.

But there are lower volume tube amps that sound spectacular. I used to use B15 fliptops and Fender Bassman amps back in high school and college, and the tone was spectacular. Not botique, and not without the occasional fart, but big rich tone that you could overdrive at lower volumes (relative to an SVT). I recently played an outdoor gig with an SVT for backline, with a SS head, but it reminded me how powerful those are. Reminds me of Grand Funk Railroad.

I also had 3 really nice tube preamps - a Groove Tubes (FOOL for selling!!), an SWR Redhead, and an SWR 750X. I loved the tube preamp/SS power amp setup. No more driving to the gig to find power amp tubes rolling around in the back...

And of course, I LOVE the Noble DI for the tube warmth. It doesn't have a gain, so it doesn't go into overdrive with a normal signal. And, I found that it REALLY loves a nice hot signal. It knows just what to do with that. Pure tube fatness!

As far as loading into gigs with an amp, as much as I love tubes, I have all the tube like sound I need with my Tone Hammer 500. I have a few drivers that do tube overdrive quite well too. Yeah, unless I have roadies and a tech to work on it, I'm sticking with class D's (and neo's too)!!

5. kevk

kevk Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Napa Valley
    You can opt for a tube preamp>ss amp (or DI to the FOH) and accomplish a great tube tone, with minimal weight concerns...

I’ve used a Jule Monique preamp (DI’d) quite often...but also use a ss B|Amp or Vanderkley Spartan...just different flavors of goodness.

Many here, use a Noble pre. You’re correct, neither is inexpensive...but both sit in a mix very well.

I’ll conclude that my fav chain has been running my pedalboard (last pedal is an OCSD) > Monique > FOH...

6. Fun Size Nick

Fun Size Nick

Feb 21, 2006
    Hong Kong
    +1! Loving my Tone Hammer preamp straight to FOH (with AGS on). Very hard to sound bad through that little box!

7. DavetheDude

DavetheDude

Nov 28, 2014
    Germany
    Hey guys, just wanted to drop by and say hello again, haven't checked out this thread for quite some time. There's just way too many activity here to stay on track :D

So, let me (hopefully) sweeten your day with a little solo from a Toto song, to further keep this thread busy ;)

I wish you all a blessed week!

8. Big Hoss

Big Hoss Up note, down note, blue note, brown note...

So I hate the tone I am getting playing Phil Wickham's "This is Amazing Grace" on my Jazz bass. It just never comes out right, and the way our other bass players play it, well it's just thick, and fat, not tight and punchy. Always played on a jazz, or a Jaguar type bass with a J/J configuration...

Last night I was noodling around with that song, and finally got it...

Bass used. My SX Ursa 3.
    Strings. D'Addario EXL170 nickel rounds
    Settings. Tone all the way up. Bridge pickup volume at 100%, neck pickup (split coil) turned off.
    Amp. Fender Rumble V3 500 combo.
    Settings. Bright engaged. Bass and treble at noon, low mid, high mid at about 2:30.
    Pick. Not sure the brand, I think Dunlops. Gray, heavy nylon. They are thick, but have some spring to them...

Play between the pickups.

That's pretty much it...

That's it.

Hopefully this helps someone else struggling to get the sound of this song...

9. CRich0205

CRich0205

Feb 17, 2013
    Kansas
    I went from a solid state GK 400RB to a 70s V4B and finally got and svt 2 pro last year. It’s awesome. I don’t crank the snot out of it and stress the tubes so they will probably hold up for some time. My v4b has the original tubes still in it. Sounded great just didn’t stay clean loud enough for what I wanted it to do. I also prefer the voicing of the svt better. If they let me I would take it to church every week. But you know silent stage, don’t be louder than the drony pad music now.

10. JoshC

JoshC

Nov 19, 2006
    Lancaster, PA
    I'm auditioning next week for the first time in my life. I've always just known people before, but I'm looking at playing at a larger campus style church and they've got a process. Apparently we bassists are a hard breed to nail down so it's basically a formality, but I'm incapable of not taking something labeled an "audition" seriously.

I was given a list of like 6 songs to pick 2 from. None of them were particularly "basspirational" tracks. I'm doing "I will look up" and "More then I deserve". "I will look up" seems to have a lot of room to express my ability to build songs and play tastefully, while "More then I deserve" has some fun rhythm and spots for a few runs and lots of transition walks. The trick now is to balance demonstrating skill without overplaying.

Gonna take my Bongo 5 with my newly assembled Nano (Cali76 Bass->Dr. Scientist Frazz V2->H9->B7K Ultra), I am absolutely loving the tone from that combo, the Cali76 just tames the Bongo in a way nothing else ever has and makes it sooo nice to play. It's funny how when I'm not playing P&W I gravitate towards a 4 string 99% of the time, but as soon as I start playing P&W seriously I feel the need for the 5 right away. Too many Eb and low C/D notes these days haha.

11. MTN.bass72

MTN.bass72 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2010
    Blue Ridge, Ga
    I had never played through tubes.. although every time I heard different bassists using them I loved the sound...
    My Noble pre/DI Fixed the issue.. in an amazing way:thumbsup:

12. Rudyboy98

Rudyboy98

Jan 25, 2008
    South Bay, CA
    Glad you like it. Yeah. Stage volume is a problem.

13. klokker

klokker

Jan 7, 2009
    Steele City, NE
    I'd love to have a Fender 100T into a 6X10 for the rock band. The old SVT's are great. But in the real world, it's just not that much better, if at all than the Genz Benz stuff I use. My Shuttle 6.2 has a one 12AX7 tube in it, but it's a solid state head. I can't imagine anything better really. Some of the new tube heads have automatic bias and some good stuff like that, but it's just not worth it at this point.

For worship it's a non issue. Plug into a VT Deluxe and go through the board. Get my sound from the monitor. With our mixing issues and all the rest it's just a total non issue what amp head or cab you bring. In fact adding a head and cab is just one more issue to deal with, when the fewer issues the better. So I leave it all at home.

I would like a 100T though, gotta be honest.

14. Eric_71

Eric_71 Supporting Member

Jul 22, 2011
    MSP
    Ha. Yes, those are my thoughts exactly. I like to present a sound that is easy to use, but if it comes out bad due to room acoustics, bad board EQ, or if they crank the horrible guitarist or make the snare sound terrible, that will override my tone in a second anyway.

That may not be exactly what you were saying, but I agree with what you did say.

15. staccatogrowl

staccatogrowl Savoring time on a spinning, shimmery, aqua sphere Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2006
    You wouldn't believe how many musicians that are absolutely insulted by the idea that they are asked to audition. I have heard these same complaints for years at different churches. The audition proposition is an effective "weed-out" mechanism for people that really don't want to be on a team, or lack the skill to play on one.

I have always welcomed the opportunity to audition, and have done my very best to learn material and style, as well as play my best in the audition environment. Sometimes it's a one-on-one with a worship leader before or after service. Other times have been with other worship team musicians, in front of panels of other worship team observers/evaluators.

One time I was asked to bring my bass to a rehearsal and observe the rehearsal workings. Near the end of the rehearsal I was asked to replace the bass player, and play three of the songs they had been working on. I didn't know that I would be doing this ahead of time, so I had not prepared for the songs I was asked to play. Luckily, I knew their charts so it was no problem, and I was quickly added to their rotation.

Bottom line: Enjoy your opportunity! Your mindset of playing it straight for song beginnings, and letting your style emerge in later song sections (without overplaying) is a good strategy. Best wishes for your audition, and let us know how it goes.

16. Razman

Razman

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    If I had my way, I'd use the Mesa 400 and 220lb Ampeg Pro Series fridge that normally sits in our theater on platform behind our drummer (and he'd be with me on this). I'd also provide all the bass volume for our 500-seat sanctuary so there wouldn't be any need for me in the PA.

But it's not about me.

:D

17. klokker

klokker

Jan 7, 2009
    Steele City, NE
    What kind of band would NOT have an audition? But anyway, I've always enjoyed my auditions. You walk in to this totally new situation and see what happens. I've never failed an audition (which maybe says something about the bands I play in as well) but I've turned down a couple of situations that I just couldn't buy into.

For example, giving me a few songs to learn and then when I show up ready to play, deciding not to play any of them. See you later, lol.

18. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right?

Apr 9, 2012
    Occasional Beta Tester for Confusion Studios, Singular Sound, and Source Audio
    One where merely having a pulse improves the band situation

19. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I believe my audition was to show up to a Thursday rehearsal and see how it went. I think that was like 12 years ago.

20. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right?

Apr 9, 2012
    Occasional Beta Tester for Confusion Studios, Singular Sound, and Source Audio
    “Show up to practice and see how it goes” has been very common for me. At the largest church I’ve regularly attended (closer to 800 instead of 100-250) I had more of a formal audition. Others had a sense of my skill level prior to me joining the team. (Due primarily to moves, I’ve been at a lot of churches over the last 20 years.)