The Praise and Worship Band Bassists Club

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by j-raj, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Gigglingbuns

Gigglingbuns

Aug 26, 2017
    Now that we're in this conversation. I've always used a cheap strap that is pretty thin, what do you recommend for a wide padded strap that is comfortable

mtb777 and deepender like this.
  2. PraiseBassing

PraiseBassing Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2017
    California
    You can check out some Walker and Williams. I have the 3.5" I believe. I like them!

mtb777, Gigglingbuns and deepender like this.
  3. PraiseBassing

Mar 6, 2017
    California
    Also, the presence of God should leave you breathless… NOT the key of the song!:laugh:

mtb777, MynameisMe, SteveC and 3 others like this.
  4. ExaltBass

ExaltBass XBass Cables Gold Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    Once again, I have noticed that we have some new contributors to the thread. :thumbsup:
    • Newbie?
    • Lurker?
    • Sometimes visitor?
    Are you interested in joining the Praise & Worship Bassists Club?

We'd be happy to welcome you!

Please put in your post if you want a number or not. Without it, I may not realize you want a number.
    Thanks Dave

5. Gigglingbuns

Gigglingbuns

Aug 26, 2017
    I'd like a number

mtb777, deepender, MynameisMe and 2 others like this.
  6. PraiseBassing

Mar 6, 2017
    California
    Hey Dave!
    I’m usually on my phone so I forget about the member numbers! I’ll take one! Thanks!

kevdimmen, mtb777, deepender and 2 others like this.
  7. ExaltBass

Sep 28, 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    Welcome to our newest 'Official' P&W Bassists Club

#1528 - Gigglingbuns
    #1529 - PraiseBassing

8. PraiseBassing

Mar 6, 2017
    California
    Thanks!

mtb777, deepender and ExaltBass like this.
  9. Jasmeece

Jasmeece

Apr 20, 2017
    A couple of comments, at our church almost every song is down a whole note when sung by the guys and some times two. For some of our female singers I sometime see it up a forth or fifth and then they sing the octave below? Either way. Very few songs are in the original key. So you need to be able to change on the fly. Not a problem with Bass but it really throws me sometimes for guitar.

For bass straps I use a neoprene STRAPP for one bass but I just bought a Walker and Williams 4” wide, long bass strap from ‘zon crazy wide and crazy long but super comfortable. I’m 6’4” and have this strap about halfway out. I need to figure out how to switch back and fourth between guitar and bass with this strap or just go buy another

10. PraiseBassing

Mar 6, 2017
    California
    I know some guys on guitar refuse to play with a capo... But unless you can play bar chords and fret all 6 notes or have mad skills and can play some crazy chords, a capo is your friend in a worship environment. I have no reason to play half bar chords or struggle playing some stretched chords in worship.

Now if someone can do that without having to focus on it too much and are able to worship, more power to them! otherwise put a capo on, make it easier to play, and focus that extra effort and energy on worshiping the creator of the world!

11. MynameisMe

MynameisMe What will you be remembered for?

Dec 31, 2018
    J'ville Florida
    This is not my original but one of many you can download.
    I would look for the PDF version online.
    Cut it out, the smaller circle over the larger one and put a hole in it with a paper clip and tape the paper clip to the back. Works like a charm for transposing.

Attached Files:

FunWithBass, mtb777 and deepender like this.
  12. B-Lo

B-Lo Bassist, Drummer, Sound Tech, part time Ninja... Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2017
    Northern Alabama
    I'd like a number. Thanks.

mtb777, ExaltBass, MynameisMe and 2 others like this.
  13. Jasmeece

Jasmeece

Apr 20, 2017
    I play with a capo all of the time. I have a quick chart and can move it up and down but sometimes It doesn’t work on the passages

14. PraiseBassing

Mar 6, 2017
    California
    Do you have a song in mind?

15. BassJuju

BassJuju

Jul 9, 2016
    Texas
  16. ExaltBass

Sep 28, 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    Welcome! You are now officially P&W CLUB MEMBER NUMBER 1530 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

BHaev, B-Lo and deepender like this.
  17. NaH

NaH Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Perri's Soft padded Leather - they have some as low as $15 on Amazon

Gigglingbuns and deepender like this.
  18. steve_rolfeca

steve_rolfeca Supporting Member

Different strokes...

Trying to follow changing set lists while fiddling with the Capo setting in OnSong, and/or mentally transposing the chart as-is to a capo'd key is a mind-bender for me.

I would much rather sight read the chords in-key, using barre chords and the few oddball open ones I know. It's just way easier for me, and I know that I am NOT an accomplished guitarist!

19. steve_rolfeca

This.

When songs are in a key that I can't reach, I often end up improvising a bass part. Because I don't sing a lot, it takes just enough mental energy that I go into "musician mode", and I'm not really in the moment any more.

ExaltBass and deepender like this.
  20. steve_rolfeca

On the subject of GAS, this isn't very expensive, but I want one bad and can't really afford it at the moment:

Barber Linden EQ

View attachment 3422807
    Typical Barber quality, bumps the 9VDC input to 25VDC for lots of headroom. Three way switches to tailor the mids and the low end.

My Barber LTD overdrive is a brilliant, beautifully made always-on pedal, and has been serving me well for years. This one would sit very nicely between my Turbo Tuner and the Diamond Compressor.

Last edited: May 21, 2019