1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The Praise and Worship Band Bassists Club

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by j-raj, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Found a bombshell of a letter from the church in the mailbox when we got home from work last night. It seems that our WL had some grievances with our Lead Pastor and after airing them out and working with HR, WL has decided to resign effective last Saturday.

I spoke with some of the other Worship team members last night and am getting bits and pieces of info, but based on what I've heard from another staff member this separation was our ultimate destination, it was just a matter of time before we got here. So now we're leaderless.

I'm not too worried, we'll make it through. We worked well under an interim WL during the last search. Our team is experienced enough to carry on and I believe that God will carry us through. It's just... Whoa...

Every day is an adventure!

mtb777, FunkSheep08, Rayjay and 2 others like this.
  2. deepender

deepender

Jan 7, 2014
    Maryland
    Amen to that!

Sorry that's going on, but God knows what He's doing. He sometimes doesn't reveal His plans...

Faith...

3. My brother wrote this about the Charleston shooting. Let me know what you guys think. I agree with him and that's a rarity for me!

"Stop saying the Charleston shooting was senseless. He knew exactly what he was doing, he is NOT crazy, he is NOT a drug addict. Stop saying that he was a heavy drug user like it's an explanation for his actions. He had complete control of his mind and body and made a rational decision to shoot people. There is no way this should be a plea of insanity. It's not an unspeakable tragedy, because by labelling it as such we are letting him off the hook. Stop making excuses for him. It is 2015 and we still have absolutely NO idea and NO answers on how to deal with anything that involves a human life. Human hypocrisy is absolutely brutal. We are so stupid that we need clear labels in order to understand what's going on. He is insane so that explains his actions - no it does not. She is black so that explains her actions - no it does not. He is from the Middle East so that explains his actions - no it does not. It's high time that we step down from our entitled pedestals and admit that we have no control over anything and we really don't know or understand anything. All this money, technology, science to congratulate ourselves and give ourselves a pat on the back for so called "progress"...ultimately we never have and never will be able to control our own fate as a human race. Too many opinions, too many indecisions, too many wrong decisions. So let's not rush in organizing our thoughts on what happened at the church or we just end up with some scapegoat that can "explain" the event. Take the time to fully soak in what happened. Then see if you can brush him off as an insane person. Because in all honesty, he is your average person who logically made a choice to kill."

4. deepender

deepender

Jan 7, 2014
    Maryland
    Well said.

5. jefff100

jefff100 Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2010
    Central NJ
    We dont have a worship leader.
    Honestly I dont understand the need for a title for someone that makes a few opening announcements and sings / plays guitar.

To me the only people in the church with any authority are the pastor and Jesus . Consistory can vote to spend funds but they are more facillitators than leaders.

YMMV

I guess your church must be pretty big if they have an HR dept though. I guess I'm a little out of touch.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
    CharlyG and deepender like this.
  6. I think it's a committee with the executive director and some members of the congregation. Nothing like the HR department where I work. :)

I agree with your assertion that the pastor is the one with authority, but that doesn't mean we don't need other staff members to shepherd the various teams and manage all of the activities of the church. Our WL is also a music director, coordinating all of the musical activity, scheduling team members, planning the music, inspiring us to improve... So I guess I do agree with you that a WL of your description isn't a big deal, but in our case, as a staff member with significant responsibility over the music all over the church (Sunday and Saturday services, ten services, VBS, etc...) it is an important role.

FunkSheep08 and deepender like this.
  7. I can't figure out the bass riff for Majesty by Delirious. We're doing it in A so the intro goes F#m, E, D

Can't figure out a decent-sounding lick that doesn't sound too "Rush".....lol

deepender likes this.
  8. deepender

deepender

Jan 7, 2014
    Maryland
    A little Rush never hurt anybody.

jfh2112, mtb777, tnic61 and 1 other person like this.
  9. This could get you started:

He's just walking down a basic scale shape.

deepender likes this.
  10. Wow that was easy. I just need to transpose that into the key of A since the recording is in.................umm............not A...........

11. ninjaaron

ninjaaron

Sep 26, 2014
    Db. The original key. I used to think this song was in C#, but I was mistaken. Music theory for gui****s 8^)

Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
    mtb777 and deepender like this.
  12. So down a string, up a fret.

ninjaaron and deepender like this.
  13. c_maj

c_maj

Jun 24, 2011
    Las Vegas, NV
    HA! That is a constant point of humorous bickering and snark between our keyboardist and myself.

So whenever he says something like "Db", I always counter back with "Ick! No, it's C#!" Mind you, he's had some theory training, whereas I have not. When he explains to me the the theory behind it, I always cut him off and tell him, "Nope. Consonants are sharp, vowels are flat. That's what my piano teacher told me and that's what I'm sticking with."

(I haven't had any piano training in well over 30 years. It's just fun to rib him about it.)

FunkSheep08 and deepender like this.
  14. steve_rolfeca

steve_rolfeca Supporting Member

Praise report: I am scheduled for worship Sunday. My shoulder is still keeping me up at night, but my range of motion has improved enough that I can reach about the 3rd fret on the Dingwall if I hold it funny, and the 1st position on my P-bass.

I have to play sitting down, and I can't stay at the low end of the fingerboard for long, but I'll take it for the win!

Sidenote: I used to be the overplay constantly, coming out of the music program at College. I never really learned to lay back and lock with the kick until I did a stint in a college and careers-oriented church plant a few years back.

We are doing Rick Pino's "We Have The Best Father" on Sunday, and while woodshedding the walking bass part yesterday, I was surprised to find that I had some trouble playing it up to tempo.

I still struggle with boredom occasionally when playing straight-8ths roots on Hillsong United songs, etc. But if I've dumbed down my playing enough to actually get a bit rusty, then that's progress, I guess...

ExaltBass, FunkSheep08, c_maj and 3 others like this.
  15. CHARG3D

CHARG3D

Jul 23, 2013
    Melbourne, Aust.
    Some songs are 'made for bass'. Others are the ones that test our creativity.

FunkSheep08, tnic61 and deepender like this.
  16. deepender

deepender

Jan 7, 2014
    Maryland
    That's a good, if not a little twisted, way of looking at it.

Man, I'm really rooting for things to loosen up for you. Lots of prayers beating on the throne room door.

Really glad there has been some progress.

You and I might be experiencing very similar things right now. I've been getting excited about every half inch of progress in the outward rotation game. Seeing just a little progress every day. It's nearly 12" past the pre-operative reach.

Go for it brother. We're all behind you.

FunkSheep08 and mtb777 like this.
  17. jefff100

Jan 23, 2010
    Central NJ
    It means something significant to those with classical training. For me - I just don't get it. I've taken formal lessons a few times, most recently when I picked up DB, I did lessons for about 9-10 months until work got in the way. Whenever they get to the theory part it just goes about 3 foot above my head. My original bass instructor tried to explain it. Our music director / organist is classically trained with a degree in sacred music. She indicates that you can hear a difference because of the way the same note will sound different based on the other notes that its played in context with depending on the key. I'll just take that one on faith.

No Saturday rehearsal today. We are going up to a summer festival hosted by another church in Metuchen, go on at noon. Short set:

All the people said Amen
    My Lighthouse
    Yes

To follow up on another's post from a day or so ago - We normally have a Saturday morning 9am rehearsal. I hate the schedule, but its obvious they are unwilling to change.
    Basically you can't go anywhere on a weekend day unless you skip church for the weekend. I'm at the church both Saturday & Sunday mornings until generally noon on Sunday and 11 or 11:30 on Saturday. Saturday is half shot at that point. We are eventually going to move & leave NJ. Will have to find another church, however I will not commit to this rehearsal schedule again. Its absurd.

R&B, c_maj and deepender like this.
  18. deepender

deepender

Jan 7, 2014
    Maryland
    Seriously Steve, you might one day want to consider this.

I bought this with the intention of modding it into a high end piccolo bass. Then, after I installed a really nice pickup/preamp combination and bridge, I got the news that both of my shoulders needed to be replaced. I quickly decided that I'd be needing a good shortie to keep me in the saddle during recuperation. I filed out the nut and strung it up with the heaviest short scale strings I could find and boy, am I glad I have it now! Really good tone, easy to play and fairly cheap for a high end sound. (Somewhere in the ball park of $650, including the case) The bass can be had for about $180 on Amazon, and you can have some fun kicking it up a notch, if you want. I think there's still a TB forum on modding Mikros.

Just a thought.

Here's mine.

Attached Files:

ExaltBass and FunkSheep08 like this.
  19. jefff100

Jan 23, 2010
    Central NJ
    :thumbsup:

20. Song list for tomorrow morning:
    • Holy Spirit (You are Welcome Here) - Jazz Fretless
    • Your Love Never Fails - Jazz V
    • The Rock Won't Move - Jazz V
    Its a short list this week because the WL is doing a solo special for Father's Day. It's a song he wrote and its pretty good.

Also, we are down to just three people. The other guitar player is taking a break for a while. So that leaves us with guitar, bass and drums. And just to make it more interesting for tomorrow our regular drummer is out and the bass player from our sister church is filling in on drums for the first time at our church. Oh, and we couldn't practice this week so we will play together for the first time tomorrow morning during our sound check. Plus Holy Spirit is a new song for us (fortunately, it is very simple).

What could possibly go wrong? ;)

Actually, I enjoy playing with different drummers. Because it also gives me the opportunity to do things a little different with my right hand to match them.

And on a personal note: Tomorrow is my anniversary, birthday and Father's Day. I asked the WL if I can get paid extra for that and he said "Sure." (Let's see, 3 x $0 =?). :)

JakeyBran, FunkSheep08, c_maj and 5 others like this.