The Precision Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Wadge, May 6, 2005.

1. Hi Guys,

A friend of mine was shopping for a bass and I suggested a jazz bass. We went to a store and sure enough there was a MIA Jazz bass.

Well it was a fender, MIA, had jazz pick-ups, slim neck, off set body - well a fender jazz. The only thing was the masthead said 'precision bass'. :confused: .

Now, I'm no newbie. Been playing bass for 12 years and own a precision myself. And that was no precision. Can you explain it?
  2. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Wrong replacement neck maybe? ask the salesman and tell us his story. sure it'll be interesting.

keep groooovin'
  3. David Okun

David Okun

Apr 10, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    I saw a Jazz bass on Ebay with a P Bass neck yesterday.

If it plays well and it's what he wants, point out the mismatch to the salesman, and see if he can get a big discount on it.
  4. I find this rather interesting since I've never heard of this happening before. Just two questions, is it used or new and since when di basses have mastheads?? :confused:
  5. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Headstock must not be in his english dictionary! :D.
    Mark hoppus comes to my mind when talking about jazz-precision franken basses, i bet hes not the only one who has done weird things to his basses.
  6. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Like a earlier person posted, the Squier Precision Bass special is a 5 with two j pickups but a P style pickguard, body, and neck. I might add they are great playing budget 5s.
  7. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    He said offset body, which instantly means Jazz bass.

However, likely a replacement neck. A lot of people swap necks on Fenders, I personally prefer a Precision neck on a Jazz bass. Just personal preference. Did you notice the nut width? Was it narrow like a Jazz or fat like a Precision?
  8. I've heard alot that swaping Precision and jazz necks on the opposite body is somehting that alot of people do, or have done. the one that comes to my mind is Bob Babbit. In his early motown years he played a precision body with a jazz neck, untill it was stolen.
  9. Just to answer a few questions:

- The neck was a Jazz neck in that it was thinner at the nut then where it meets the body and had the jazz profile. Trust me, definitely a jazz neck.

- It was not the squire illustrated above. In fact it was not a squire at all.

To all intents and purposes it was a jazz bass. The only way I can explain it is that this neck ended up being stamped by the wrong machine.

P.S. The term 'Masthead' is another term for what is commonly known as the 'headstock'.
  10. I saw a brand new bass the other week in the big Canadian music store chain - it was a MIM P-bass with a Jazz body. It was defintely odd looking - a Jazz body with one split coil P pickup!

I can't remember if it was labeled a J or a P on the headstock.
  11. Rapscallion2112

Apr 21, 2004
  12. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

13. i bet it's just an "A" width precision neck slapped on a jazz body.
  14. toad

Jun 26, 2002
    Rob W, that sounds like the Hoppus bass.

Wadge, if it was used, someone probably replaced the neck with a A width precision neck. If it had the 70s decal, Fender made some like that. Otherwise, it could be a Precision Deluxe Special (I think that's what they call it) neck which is also a jazz width neck with a Precision decal. Then again, maybe it was a decal mistake, who knows with Fender?
  15. The Mark Hoppus has a Percision pickup, though. He said it has Jazz pickups. I'm interested in what's going on with this though. Ask the salesman about it, and then tell us. :)
  16. mmmmm, jazz bass with precision neck.....i played a p bass special one day with a slimmer jazz-ish neck.....but i love a jazz bass with a precision neck on it, brings em alive
  17. peabody

peabody Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
  18. It is not the Mark Hoppus. That has a precision size neck with a Jazz body whilst this is a jazz neck (and has two j pickups).

The instrument seems brand spanking new. The store from which it was purchased does not trade in used instruments and, although looks can be deceiving, it looked as though it had just come out of the box. I seriously doubt it ever underwent (is that a word) a neck change.

My feeling is that it is a fender mistake in that the wrong decals were put on the headstock of this MIA.

Regardless, it sounds really nice. I have to confirm what has often been said here on talkbass that with fender it is definitely a try before you buy. The store had around 10 fender jazz basses, a few MIJ, MIM and MIAs. Most of the MIM didn't sound that good and some MIJ actually sounded better than a few of the MIA. This precision Jazz (MIA) sounded the best of the lot and looked purdy too so it came home with my friend.

I've recorded with it recently and it sat in the mix very well. I guess there is indeed something about the precision er jazz ....ehm ....whatever. :bassist: I think I need one. No really.
  19. naughtry

Jan 31, 2004
    NYC / D.C.
    dude, post some pictures or something, i want to see this thing... haha.
  20. gapupten

Dec 29, 2004
    I swear, every couple of years, Fender must just clean out their parts bins and make up whatever is left. Then they tell the decal guy to be creative.