1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Predator's Invisibility

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Jazzin', Oct 19, 2006.

1. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Looks like the predator's (from the movies: The Predator, The Predator 2, and Alien vs. Predator) invisibility technology isn't impossible nor is it so far into the future.

Link

2. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    I hate to be a pessimist, but I can only imagine the crime rate skyrocketing.

-Mark

3. hawaiianbass

hawaiianbass

Jul 23, 2006
    Laramie, Wyo
    Ya thbink?

I think its pretty scary how advanced human technology is getting.

CK

4. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I don't know man, it seems to me that bending microwaves and visible light are pretty different in practice.

5. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    friggin sweet. Even cooler than air sucking bombs if you ask me.

6. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Inactive

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    You'd have to steal one first. If you can accomplish that, I don't think you'd need one in the first place.

7. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Sounds like a very expensive piece of equipment.

8. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Inactive

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    They have so many different technologies that are top-seceret that we couldn't even imagine existed.

9. Matt Fat Cat

Matt Fat Cat

Jul 5, 2006
    Dale Gribbel is that you?

10. LOL

11. Pictures? :confused: :smug:

12. That's an interesting catch-22 - "I can't become a master thief until I have an invisibility device, but I can't get an invisibility device unless I'm a master thief."

Life is so hard.

13. Kibuddy

Kibuddy

Apr 30, 2005

Hmm. I can't see it, so it must not be there!:smug:

14. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Yeah, I read the article as indicating the object is invisible to microwaves. They didn't really mention vision, light distortion or bending, or anything like that.

15. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Inactive

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    Microwaves are part of the electromagnetic spectrum, just like light. It' just that they are a lot longer. Probably the reason they were manipulated easier.

It's not the same thing, but it's not way off, either.

16. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I read about it in Discover.

Two major problems with making yourself invisible:

1. In order for the device to work the small metal conducting shapes that bend the electromagnetic radiation must be smaller than the wavelength of the wave its affecting. The microwaves have wavelengths around 3cm and the shapes on the metamaterials that make the device work are 3 milimeters long.

Visible light has wavelengths that are much smaller. Green light has a wavelength of 500 nanometers and so the shapes would have to be about 50 nanometers in size. Possible with specialized tooks that could build the shapes atom by atom, but not practical.

2. The device works by allowing light to move around the device and not reach it or reflect off of it. If light is redirected from the object then it wont reach through it to your eyes and you wouldnt be able to see out of it.

17. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    A demonstration vid clip would have been nice...sheesh!

18. EDIT: I was going to be all witty and post a clip from Predator in response to Masher's post, but the best one I could find featured some pretty loud profanity. Live and learn.

19. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Sep 17, 2005
    Istanbul
    Another step forward to the doom of the mankind.Think about what might happen.Invisible armies,thats what man would do with such a technology. :rollno:

20. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Here is a picture of me wearing one of the suits.

-Mike