Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

the price for a "VINTAGE" is out of control

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by demolition, Jul 20, 2004.

1. demolition

demolition Guest

Jul 5, 2003
    Conn.
    I just bought an american p-bass,and as always I like to look and see what they are selling for both new and used,and as I sat and read some of the auctions on E-BAY I was blown-away! :eyebrow:
    I could not believe how high older basses have risen in price,its almost sickning !
    And even basses that are all hacked up and beat-down are still selling for a decent buck,and we have no-one to blame but our-selves.
    We have made the demand so high for these basses that the selling price is ridiculous,I'm glad I got my Japanese fenders when I did or the 200.00$ basses would have cost me 500.00$ and up now-a-days.
    I seen a Squier p-bass selling for 300.00$,dont get me wrong ,they are great basses but 300.00$ PA-LEASE :mad:
    I wont even get into the 60-'s Fenders,I love-em,but I can no longer look forward to getting a decent 'VINTAGE"bass not all hacked up for less than 1500.00$(and thats on the low end of cheesy).
    Its sad that the average person has to decide on between a car or a bass, :rollno:

2. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    I have no problem with the high prices of vintage basses. They are worth every penny. Granted, I've played some 50's and 60's Fenders that I wasn't impressed with, but for the most part they are amazing instruments. I don't think the newer stuff that Fender makes comes close to most of the older pieces. Don't get me wrong, I love my Marcus Miller Jazz bass, but I'd take an early 60's Jazz bass any day of the week.

I just had a 1963 J Bass in my shop, and THAT is what a Jazz bass is supposed to play and sound like. In fact I think there are other companies out there (like Lakland) who make a better Fender, than Fender does.

With all that being said, some of the prices do get a bit silly. But for someone like me, who makes his living buying and selling instruments, those 'silly' prices are a blessing :)

3. stu FORD

stu FORD

May 22, 2004
    i was in the local shop checking out basses, and this guy was looking at the new stratocasters, and he said "you know what, ive decided that the new fenders arent even instruments anymore" and i totally agree. i scored a vintage late 70s or early 80s musicman sabre for 1000 with hardshell case, the original musicman all leather strap, one of those old fashioned coil cables, and a an old gibson cable, both probably dating back to the seventies. and that is the best bass deal i have ever gotten.

vintage is worth it dude, but even more worth it when you can get it for a low price

4. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    For a playing instrument, I'd rather have a high end modern custom built to my specs than a 50 year old Fender. However, I must admit, there's something about a vintage instrument that's just inexplicable. I know I'll get one at some point, but like most guys, I'll probably just get it to have it.

5. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    Yeah, I agree. I'd rather spend $5k on a modern 5 or 6 over a vintage bass, but just because I think I'd have more application for a modern bass. It'd just be great to have a vintage piece again.

6. demolition

demolition Guest

Jul 5, 2003
    Conn.
    I love 'em to,But the price they have risen to is out of control.
    I would take a 25 year old fender any day over a new one just for the curing of the wood factor alone, nevermind all the charactor it has as well.
    It just seems that collectors are driving up the price while players have a hard time touching them,and the ones that are in my price range are all jury rigged.
    In the the last year or so I have been studying on the art of being a bass tech(guitar)and can do all of the restorations myself,its just the prices of the complete basses have gone up to much for my pocket.
    Like I said earlier I'm glad I got my JAPAN models when I did. :bassist:

7. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004

Well, hang in there man. Those 'pawn shop' deals are still out there. :)

8. hoel

hoel

Jul 16, 2003
    Oppdal, Norway
    I bought a '64 refinished jazz bass on eBay in january this year. I've been tryin' to get me a vintage bass for quite some time. I paid $2400 + shipping to Norway.

I have never played a better bass (I've tried alot of stuff: mtd, lakland, warwick, ernieball and so on), and people I've talked to who has tried hundreds of vintage fender basses says I've been really lucky.

My bass is "all beaten up" (like someone here said), which is a good thing. The more it has been used, the better it plays.

It plays like a dream, and the sound? WOW! It's just so full of TONE. Very "musical" instrument indeed. And I can use it for any playing style.

I have a Marcus Miller j-bass for backup-bass. I like it too, but it doesn't have the good feel of a vintage bass. I use the MM mostly for slaphand style, when I need a really hi-tech sound. But mostly the '64 does everything.

Just my thoughts :)

-hoel

9. demolition

demolition Guest

Jul 5, 2003
    Conn.
    Theres a semi famous guitar tech here in CT.(used to play for XYZ,but is now a bas tech to the rock stars)and his store sells"vintage"basses.
    Like for instance there's a 72-75? p-bass(i cant remember the exact year)and its all original even the soder joints are virgin(keep it clean guys :D )and its tagged at 2500.00$,and the fretts are so worn it could pass as a afrett-less,but because he's a luthier he could get the bass to play well enuff to go out the door,and when the poor schlubb who buys it gets a re-frett the bass will loss value by 50%.
    And the ones that are still playable are in the 3500.00$ range,and they dont even come close to my Japanese p-bass,so thats my dilemma :crying: .
    But maybe I'll find a "gift" in some mom and pop pawn-shop in some stick of a town and wind up with my "dream' bass.
    thanks for caring :smug:

10. agreed.

11. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Unless a bass is not finished with paint or poly, it's not gonna cure at all. Add to that the fact that wood can only PROPERLY be seasoned in certain environments. Sitting in a case or on someone's stand is not gonna cut it.

Most of the truly vintage Fenders I've played (those pre-CBS models, anyway) were pure crap. I've only played 1 or two that were in good shape and actually sounded good, too.

12. Hasn't the same phenomenom occurred with cars? Take a 50's Corvette, for example. Worth a fortune, but a brand new Honda Civic will out-perform it, for less money. More features, better performance, you name it....

When the Precision came out, there wasn't any competition. Fender, to his credit, did build a good instrument (not perfect, but very good). For years the Fender still out-performed any of the competition...let's see, the Hofner? A Gibson EB?? A Kay or Silvertone? Vox, perhaps (dig the funky headstock?)

Nowadays there's lots of high-end basses to be had, and they have nicer woods, better feel, etc. I have a '78 Precision and while it's a very good bass (it was my one and only for many many years), my Warwick has 5 strings, looks good, and plays great....so I play my Warwick and leave the P-Bbass at home.

13. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    In terms of moisture removal you're probably right. Wood ages in a number of ways though, including hardening of natural resins in the wood. This will continue regardless of finish.

14. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

there was a completely stock '62 p-bass hanging up in GC here in rva, and i got to play it. felt bad, played bad, and they wanted....$8900 for it. i much preferred my '98. not just on cost, but also on feel and tone...you know the important things.

i played a '76 p-bass before too. looked just like my p-bass. and surprise surprise, sounded just like it too. a little lighter, a thicker neck. and $400 more than what i paid for mine when it was new.

nuts to vintage anything.

but i guess my amp counts as vintage, as well as some other amps i'm after...kustom 200B, sunn coliseum 300...etc. still, i'm not shelling more than $300 for either of those.

15. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    with all thiis being said. anyone have any idea what a near mint '78 p is worth ? all original, in the original case. It obviously sat in a closet or under a bed for many years. The color from the case lining has even bled slightly onto the finish and stained it a bit. It's white w/a black plate and completely unmolested. when I got it, it had flats on it and the frets show no real wear. I was told that it was loaned to Shania Twain for the filming of the "man I feel like a woman" video, although it's scenes wound up on the editing room floor. I got it from 48th St. custom guitat in NYC about 6 yrs ago My lovely wife gave it to me as a surprise christmas gift after hearing me whine ad nauseum about my long lost 1st white P that I had in the 70s, in high school. I love that woman ! She paid $1100

16. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    That is probably right around what it is worth depending on the finish and the weight.

Yep, collectors are driving up the prices of old basses. I probably never will own an early 60s bass for exactly that reason. The way I see it though, it really isn't that important. I find that I get a great deal of happiness out of playing the basses that I have.

17. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    I'll never get rid of it, cosidering where it came from. That being said, it'll never go out to a gig either. In my eyes that thing can never be replaced because it came from my sweetie, as well as the vintage thing. I've even gone so far as to buy new pickup/pickguard/controls and bropped them in there. The original assembly was removed and carefully sealed in plastic to prevent wear & tear. Pots & solder is all original and it can easily be returned to that state if need be. I'll take it to band paractice once and awhile, but NEVER to a gig. It also is the only 4 string I own. I'd love to find a 70's J in similar shape to complement it.

18. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Yea, It's crazy.
    But I to think there something about and old fender that is unexplainable.
    What I find crazy is now 1973-78 P-basses are going threw the roof.
    $1200.00-1800.00 for a good one.
    Forget a 60's bass.5K eazy.

19. My 2 cents:

Give me modern anyday. Active pickups, exotic woods, more than 4 strings, . . . . . . . . plus, I've never really liked the Fender look. :bag: