Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

the price of being a bass player

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by nonsqtr, Dec 21, 2003.

1. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    What's your price?

Here's part of mine. Sometimes I practice at home. Not too loud, not loud enough to piss off the neighbors. But the cassette tapes start falling off the shelf. I hear stuff in the kitchen rattling. Every now and then I look up and a picture will be crooked, no obvious reason except accumulated low frequencies. The other day I had the audacity to bring over a drummer to lay down a track, and the cat likes attention, so she kept bothering us while we were laying cables and positioning the mics. But she ran screaming out of the room at the first light tap on a cymbal. I think she knew what was coming.

This is just part of the price of being a bass player, without even getting into the wife and significant others. Anyone have an unusual price to pay for what you're doing, or some extraordinary sacrifice you feel you're making on behalf of your bass?

2. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    the price of being a bass player

Having to carry the heaviest amps and cabs.

3. the price of being a bass player:

Having to carry the heaviest amps and cabs plus having to carry your lazy ass guitarists amps so they will actually jam.

4. when you're on stage...and going crazy...you got like 9 more inches of neck to watch out for so you don't hit anyone :)

5. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Yup, and I have 3 herniated discs to prove that.

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Price of being a bass player?

Forever having Kids In The Hall's "The Lonely Bass Player" hit closer to home than you'd like to admit.

7. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

There's not enough tape out there to hold things down, or to keep ductwork and other stuff in the house from rattling. Even at low volume.

At the same time, it's almost useless to practice/play "un-plugged" because any "white noise" around the house will drowned out any sound the bass may make.

8. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Little recodnition, lighter wallet, and the microwave keeps mysteriously falling of the kitchen counter onto the floor everytime I practice, and the last time it happened the glass rotating dish thingy inside was cracked.

9. Exedore

Exedore

Nov 15, 2002
    Pasadena, Ca, USA
    LOL way too close to home...

Also having people constantly ask you if you can play the basslines from Seinfeld.

10. The price of being a bass player? Well, I'm the full time bass player, being really needed for the task. No complaint really, but I have offered to express myself in other areas as well; percussion, singing in duets even solos, play the harmonica.............. I really do enjoy playing the bass, but I would just like to spread out once in awhile. I do get to sing bass harmony as I'm playing bass however. Although I call this the price of being a bass player, actually it's a plus, I know that I'm really needed for something. Seems they can easily find percussionists, singers, and folks for other tasks, but bassplayers seem few and far between. Does that mean we're a special breed?

11. ryuujin

ryuujin

Jun 1, 2003
    Delaware, OH
    Getting no respect for playing strictly fingerstyle no matter how difficult the song. My brother is a slap player and no matter how simple the song he gets all kind of comments but ya know. I know im doing things I want to so I get respect from me.:D

12. no4mk1

no4mk1

Feb 21, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    "The greatest trick the Devil ever played was convincing the world he didn't exist..."

The Devil was a bass player. ;)

Cheers,
    Chris

13. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

The other day I had the audacity to bring over a drummer to lay down a track, and the cat likes attention, so she kept bothering us while we were laying cables and positioning the mics. But she ran screaming out of the room at the first light tap on a cymbal. I think she knew what was coming.

:cool: You say that like it's a bad thing.

14. Lagomarcino

Lagomarcino

Nov 12, 2002
    Iowa
    word, i get that constantly from my guitarist friend. he picks up my bass, tries, and the result makes me cry

15. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    The price of strings :mad:

16. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Amen.

17. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    I know. What are guitar strings running these days? 75cents? Well, not that cheap, but really freaking cheap.

My guitarist used to whine about having to buy new strings all the time because he likes the "brand new" sound of guitar strings.

Until he found out how much my strings cost.

18. Yeah...whats up with that?:(

19. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Having to spend twice as much money to make just as much sound as the guitar players.

20. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Second hand girls?

d'ohhhhh :D