The price of being in a band

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jrthebassguy, Feb 16, 2006.

1. 1999 Dodge Van - $5000
    Hugeass trailer with tow hitch - $2000
    Practice space rent: $450/month
    T-Shirts - $400 for 100
    Stickers - $35 for 200
    Photo shoot: $200
    Price of being put on the same comp disc as Allister - $180

Jake: pennyless :bawl:

I guess I should note that all of this is the total band cost - divide that by 4 and you'll have what I have to throw in. But I only make $6/hour, so I don't have much when its all said and done.
  2. Skeletomania

Oct 25, 2005
    hong kong
    I guess you'll make it back if you have cool t-shirts to sell.
  3. Gotta spend money to make money!

Seriously, every band that plans to be profitable should have a five year business plan.

$200 is a good price for a pro photo shoot, FYI
  4. maybe yyou should have got something older then a 1999 Dodge (caught breakdown... actually my boss has a broken ankle and wear a Dodge bag around while in the shop so everyone knows it is broken) :p
  5. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Wow, you really splurged.
  6. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    I haven't done the merch thing with a band yet, but if you really want to know how much a band has cost me...

$300 Samick 4 string
    $300 Peavey Microbass
    $150 Yorkville 100B (used)
    $250 Basslines pickups
    $225 Aguilar OBP-3
    $100 Leo Quann Badass II
    $500 Yamaha BB404F
    $850 Yorkville XS400
    $2,000 1950's Hofner Doublebass
    $660 Acoustic Image Contra Series II
    $1,150 Yamaha TRB4-II
    $100 Pirastro Obligato D and G
    $150 Pirastro Flatchromesteel E and A
    $untold in BG strings, gas, pizza, etc.

Not to mention the next four years of school, one more to get a B.Education (after a B.Mus Performance,) and then an MA in Performance so that I'll be able to teach at a university level. Oh, and it's also cost me a lucrative future living as a psychologist.

But I've never really spent money on stickers, no.
  7. By the way, in any other business, time is figured as an expense. Figure out what you think your time is worth per hour and figure out how many hours you've put into practice, set up, playing, tear down, promotional activities, etc. etc.

That'll prove once and for all it's impossible to make money playing music.

And yet we play on... :bassist:

8. Yeah, luckily we know our own photog. One studio we contacted was gonna charge $600 per photo! Granted, their stuff was amazing perfect.

All of these purchases are going towards our summer tour, so I know we're working for something good. And we're sure we can make our merch money back pretty easily.
  9. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Maybe you should've mentioned you didn't need liquid platinum development fluid :eek: :p.
  10. need4mospd

Dec 22, 2005
    $450 a month for a practice space in Houston? You must be renting a pretty nice space for that kind of money. All the places we looked were $250-300.