The price of cereal

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by kratekyle, Apr 12, 2005.

1. The supermarket peevs made me think of this.

Notice how expensive cereal has gotten? I saw a 20/20 or 60 minutes a few years ago that tracked the rising cost of food. In the same time it took most other staple foods to go up in price 100%, most cereals had gone up 400% to 500%.

$6. for a box of corn flakes, come on! If you break it down ounce by ounce, cereal costs as much as a good cut of steak!
    Even the generic stuff is over priced. I have a hard time believing that a box of cereal costs more than 50 cents to manufacture, market and ship.

If we could get people to boycott things in large numbers,

S.O.S. (save our scereal)
  2. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    How big is a $6 box of cereal?
  3. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Big box of Corn Flakes is like $3 over here. :)
  4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    $6 will buy you a really big box, unless you do your shopping at a gas station or buy one of the kinds with gummy bears and marshmallow peeps shoved in it. Not to bad when you consider you get about 12-16 breakfasts out of it. Can't complain about 50 cents for a meal.

Soda is much more expensive when you look at the retail price per bottle compared to what it cost to make it.
  5. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Honey Bunches of Oats Oirignal.

6. A $6 box of cereal is not nearly big enough.

$3 for a box of corn flakes isn't bad. But then again I would imagine the cost of living in Shrieveport LA. to be a little less than Arizona. (could easily be wrong on this)

I'm having a hard time believing I'm alone on this one.

Maybe corn flakes is a bad example. How about some of my favs like basic 4, great grains, or muslix (I try to eat semi-healthy) I only get 4 bowls out of one of those boxes.

Soda is a much better example, it is quite often LESS expensive than bottled water. What's up with that?
  7. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ive never seen a $6 box of cereal.

Maybe 3, 3.99 at most

I buy cereal from the store brand, and sometimes even in bags. Cheaper.
  8. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
  9. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Forget cereal... what about beef jerky... wth... I love that stuff and yet its like 6-7$

What happen with original beef jerky... the have weird stuff now... wth is jerky-turkey... and oh lord beef jerky is not a freaking candy... teriyaki is sooo freaking sweet... what happen with slightly a bit sweet (but not bad) hickory with some spice... mmmmmm soo good... but OMFG so expensive.... mmmm beef jerky

speaking of food and things that cost 6$... carls jr. 6 dollar double burger... mmmmm 1pound of meat... mmmmmmmmmmmmm
  10. fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    I'd say cereal is one of my favorite foods. I just get the store brand most of the time.
  11. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    +1 dude, I do the same thing.

12. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I dont eat that much cereal but when I do its gotta be:

Its about $5aus for a small (around 1lb) box.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Cereal is pricey in NY.
  14. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    So is everything else:)
  15. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Me either. Even the most expensive name brands are less than $5.00 Most are less than $4.00
  16. frankosaurus

Feb 27, 2002
    San Jose
    Pound for pound, the cheapest cereal is generic Grape Nuts. Probably because they are denser than lead pellets. At Giant food stores, it's called Nutty Nuggets. Not bad if you can get over the gravelly texture.

You could also buy the store-brand imitations of brand-name cereals that come in huge plastic bags (as Figjam mentioned). Less packaging so it's slightly more friendly to the environment.
  17. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

If you purchase brand name cereal from a grocer, (the brand names do taste better than alot of generics IMO), it is very expensive.

Target and Wal-Mart do have brand name cereals, cookies, crackers and other snack foods & pop severely discounted alot of the time. I will buy that stuff at Target prices, I will not buy it at the grocers. They charge too much.
  18. I was kinda hoping this thread would die because it seems like you guys think I'm crazy on this one. Glad to see I am not alone. I don't know if I have seen a $6 box of cereal either, but I have seen some for well over $5. I usually buy the generic stuff in bags also. It just sucks because it is NOT as good as the name brands, and I have yet to see tasty healthy style (muslix, basic 4, etc.) cereal in generic form.

'Nuff said,....... let it die
  19. Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Not to get political, but the current rate of inflation FAR exceeds the published rate. Keep this in mind when looking at increasing prices.

Oh, and I don't eat cereal. Do Atkins like me and you too can save money on cereal.
  20. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    As long as I have my bags of Malt-O-Meal Honey Nut Toasty O's, I'm all groovy an' stuff.