1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The price of renting

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Tony F, Jul 23, 2007.

1. I haven't posted on here for a while, but I thought I'd ask for your opinions on renting basses...

I called a local music store that rents stringed instruments for schools and colleges, and asked about a 3/4 size bass. The girl on the phone said that their instruments are rented out on a "rent to own" basis, with the cost spread over 30 months. Prices for basses were typically $80 to $100 per month.

She also said that as they don't have space to store basses when they're in use, they'd order them in as people requested them - as such, they'd need 12 months of payments in advance! :eyebrow:

I asked what makes they used, and she said "Well, one of them is Engelhardt..."

So, we're looking at $960 to $1,200 up front, with a total paid of $2,400 to $3,000 to buy an Engelhardt. Now I know they're in the business to make money, but is this typical of rental situations? Sounds pretty steep to me!

Cheers,

Tony

2. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    I'm not sure if it's typical or not but it sure is a bad deal!

3. wilsonn

wilsonn

Sep 26, 2005
    New York
    That doesn't sound like a good plan to me. You're close enough to Chicago that you could probably find a decent student instrument for $1000 with a little patience. I am sure there are music stores in the western suburbs of Chicago where you could rent one with slightly more favorable terms.
    Neal

4. It's not at all unusual to end up paying way over the value on a rental, after it's paid for. But the incentive is that you can pay it in small increments, without regard to credit status, etc. I did this with my Epiphone when I went off to college way back when. Ended up paying about 1800 for a bass that's arguably now worth twice that, so it worked out ok for me. By making you pay $1200 up front, they are basically removing any incentive, and that may or may not be intentional. Maybe they just don't want to deal with DBs. They're a handful, that's for sure. You can easily get your very own brand new Engelhardt for that much. Danger Will Robinson! Run away!

Following up on other responses, you are probably near enough to a reputable luthier/dealer who actually has inventory and who is willing to rent one out WITHOUT making you buy it first.

Man, it infuriates me sometimes when I hear these stories. Some of these local music stores are worse than greasy used car dealers. My own hometown store is one of em, always has been.

5. bassplayer57

bassplayer57

Aug 15, 2006
    Toledo, Ohio
    When I rented to own, it was 50 dollars a month for a 1/4 Englehart! They didn't even rent 3/4 size basses!!

That said, I only rented for 3 months, and didn't buy from them!! I had some past experience with them, so I knew not to buy from them!​

6. Just as a point of reference/comparison -

http://www.fretwellbass.com/index.htm

You can choose from several different models & buy a very nice factory fresh new Englehart for what they want up front (as a deposit) & Fretwell's prices include a complete professional set-up ready to play to your specs