1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The price of "the tone"..

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by funkingroovin, Apr 25, 2010.

1. funkingroovin

funkingroovin Conquering A-D-D,and all the other notes as well!

Apr 19, 2009
    Hawaii
    I'm still unsure how to feel about this..

A little backstory-about 11/12yrs ago,one of my friends tells me "we're gonna start a band,you need to get a bass". Whatever,never played anything besides the radio,but I'm game.(how hard can it be,right?:p) So,I bought a Rogue 4str. starter pack,and away we went.

A month later we book our first gig.Found out real quick,the Rogue couldn't cut thru the mix(heavy metal+I was plugged thru the pa) My drummer had a cousin that played bass,and he lent me his gear for the next show.So it went for about a year..Practice w/my Rogue,play live w/buddies gear.(I did end up getting a MIM P-Bass to emulate my borrowed gear)

Fast forward- I had purchased a cheap Ibanez to use as a back-up/leave at practice guitar a few years back,and decided to give it a re-fin.The buddie who lent me his gear yrs ago hears it,sees it,and buys one just like it.

His Ibanez gets some minor upgrades,and becomes his main player.

Here's the kicker...His old bass happens to be a 40th Aniv. Fen. P. He loves the finish on his Ibby,but loves the re-fin I gave mine. Last night he shows up at our gig and tells me "Hey bring your Ibanez w/you to practice Wed. and I'll trade you for "that ol' P sittin in my closet".

!!! That "ol P" is worth FAR more than a 9yr old GSR190,for God's sake,he's got it in a '63 Fen. hardcase thats a 9 /10 !!!

And did I mention,my Ibanez has a 7" split in the neck?Which is why I haven't played it in a while,and,according to him, "why not trade,you don't use that one,and I don't use this one anymore..."

I pointed out several times that ,brand new,the cost of my Ibby is the same as the cost of a good gigbag + the neck is SPLIT! He doesn't care because the Ibby has the sound and the look he wants.

I think I'll make the trade,of course,but man,I feel like I'm screwing this guy over w/his permission! What do you guys think I should do? Truth be told,I'm not sure my conscience will let me..

2. xxfaux_punkxx

xxfaux_punkxx

Mar 18, 2010
    Indiana
    you pointed out the flaws and the price difference. He doesn't care. No harm no foul

3. Doouglas

Doouglas

Apr 23, 2010
    Yeah i agree with Faux.

You have told him what's wrong with the Ibanez and he still want's it, It's no problem to trade then.

4. Cannabass

Cannabass

Jan 22, 2010
    do it up man

5. Cannabass

Cannabass

Jan 22, 2010
    oh and pics!

6. funkingroovin

Apr 19, 2009
    Hawaii
    ^yeah,thats how I reasoned it out too,just needed to be sure my own selfish interests weren't clouding my vision ;) And we'll see...I got my p.o.s. all packed up,waiting for Wednesday :D

7. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    I'd write it up so you can document ownership for future ref.

8. David Pinton

David Pinton

Jul 27, 2008
    Normandie, France
    Builder DPinton Guitars and Basses
    ^ true that, you don't to have him call the cops later, saying you stole his precious bass.

9. XXL

XXL Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2007
    I agree about getting it in writing.

10. dtaylor

dtaylor

Mar 21, 2008
    DC Metro, VA
    It sounds like you've taken great care to explain the $ difference, but your friend is in love with the tone of the Ibanez. As such, consider the trade win/win.

11. jpTron

jpTron

Apr 19, 2010
    NJ
    yeah i'd totally do it. you covered all basses

12. Exploiter8

Exploiter8 Demons run when a good man goes to war

Jan 18, 2010
    Midwest
    Commercial FREE!
    It's possible the guy is just a good dude! He did, after all, let you use his gear for a year, didn't he! I bet he views you as a good dude, too!

X8

13. He said "basses" ha-ha-ha-ha
    Sorry I had to do it.

14. Gopherbassist

Gopherbassist

Jan 19, 2008
    They're just pieces of wood that have been painted and had hunks of metal screwed to them. Their only value is the value their owner attaches to them.

15. funkingroovin

Apr 19, 2009
    Hawaii
    @ Exploiter8-- That's the prob. He IS a really nice guy. Not the sharpest tool,but has your back,no questions. I'm sure everybody has one of these friends. Last summer I was selling a bottom 15cab,he said he wanted it,and insisted on giving me half again what I was asking because "..I checked,and thats what they're goin for.." And he's not rich by any means. Just a simple "fair is fair" kind of guy.

As pointed out,He obviously thinks it's it's a "fair" trade,we both win. He's actually mentioned this before,but that was at a Christmas Bash,at about 4 in the morning,hip-deep in X-Mas Cheer and B.S. (my wife remembered this)

I feel like a tool for considering it,but I'd be a dumb*** not to. And I should mention I've offered cash from my end, but "..it's not money,it's a bass for a bass.."

Man,I don't know...

16. funkingroovin

Apr 19, 2009
    Hawaii
    The wife just wanted me to let you guys know her vote is "I be a dumb*** not to" :rolleyes:

17. Alduroth

Alduroth

Mar 3, 2009
    Your wife is smart.

You would be a dumb**** not to.

18. Yeah, that and the quantity of money that can be extracted from other would-be owners in exchange for said ownership.

19. funkingroovin

Apr 19, 2009
    Hawaii
    ^ Very true,but if I do this I could never sell it...While he's alive :D

20. funkingroovin

Apr 19, 2009
    Hawaii
    He just called me to tell me he can't get a sitter for practice tomorrow,why don't I swing over now since I'm not busy?

I already feel guilty,and I haven't even put my shoes on.

Well,let's go see how this works out...I know he'd let me make payments,if I can get past his insufferable good nature...