The Pro Get-Together

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by SpankBass, Jan 19, 2003.

1. It was fricken awesome! I can't believe how we could get that much talent into that little room!

I remeber thinking, "Wow, this guy is awesome, when I post a review on talkbass, he is going to be my favorite."
    But I ended up thinking that about EVERYBODY!

So how about a review?

Victor Bailey-
    I loved his tribute to Jaco. I think he was a little mad because he ended up playing at 1:00am, but he still kicked ass.

Mike Dimin-
    Made fun of JT alot, so how could you not like him? :)
    Good stuff, good musician, glad to have him on the forums!

Keith Horne-
    How the hell does he play the bass like that? He plays a left handed bass, but strung like a right handed. So bassically he is playing the bass backwards. But he played it damn good! He asked me about my "got bass" shirt, and I invited him on the site, I hope we see him around somewhere.

Steve Lawson-
    It was hard to hear him over that shirt ;). But from what I could hear, he was great, I like all the weird stuff he could get out of the ebow.

Trip Wamsley-
    Funny guy, and a awesome fretless bassist. Very modest too, when he signed my pickgaurd, he wrote "I'm not worthy" next to Bill Dicken's signature. I even met and talked to him at NAMM.

Michael Manring-
    That just about sums it up for Michael. My friend and I (SDGRMaster6) just looked at each other and said "F**K" for about half an hour after he went on. The whole detuning thing is just amazing, he's got some sort of detuner or tremelo or something on his bridge, and the 4 hipshots extender keys. Its so cool how he could just be tuning and detuning that thing up and down and left and right and still know what the hell is going on! Its really something you have to see. If anyone hasn't seen Michael play, you should, ight now!

Dave Pomeroy-
    I really liked "The Day the Bass Players Took Over The World" song. He gets my award for "Best tone of the night" out of that electric upright. I was diggin the Creme cover that made that drunk chic dance and start getting nekkid.

Dos (Mike Watt and Kira Roessler)
    Interesting. Very weird stuff, but it was cool. It was kind of funny seeing Kira jump up and down all punk style while she was playing melodic stuff.

Tod Johnson-
    Played the organ on his bass! That was pretty cool. Some problems with sound and all that fun stuff, but he pulled through.

I got all of them, along with a few others from the NAMM show to sign my pickgaurd. I'm gonna start gaining talent through osmoses!

Here are a few pics:
  2. Oh and it was great to meet all you TBers out there, like

John Turner
    Eric Cameron
    Wrong Wrobot
    Sheep Man
    Jeremy Cohen

And others that I am sure I forgot.

And thank you to Jeremy Cohen for introducing me to Michael Manring, and for being a sport about me picking him and Wally up a bit late. Never trust a drummer to be on time or handle any kind of scheduling.

And thanks for the CD Jeremy, I love it!
  3. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000

because this thread has something to say!

(and I want to sink all my "tribute" thread) :D
  4. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Michael Manring must've had an off night, because I said "F*#K!" for the next 3 days! He's beyond incredible.
  5. Well I would have said it longer, but then Dav Pomeroy came on and I think it would have just been inappropriate. :D

I'm going to go see Michael again over in Hollywood tonite!
  6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    That was a really fun night.

Spankbass...your really short ya know that? I'm 6'3 I think, you must be like 5'8 or something...but thats no thing you got some thick calloused hands and thats all that matters ;)

after the show I purchased michael manrings artist profile video from him....its awesome.

Who was it that played before michael...was that steve lawson? whoever it was that was incredible those looping effects were kicking.
  7. Yeah that was lawson right before Manring.

And size doesn't matter! :D
  8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Us UK TBers saw Steve Lawson and Michael Manring before Xmas -- nyah!! :p

And I would echo all the comments about how great they were to see play live. You could probably find the thread somewhere round here ....
  9. Yeah, that show was amazing. I was disapointed that I had to leave so early, before Victor came on. But I did get to see Trip, Watt, Dave, and Mike Manring. I was blown away by all of them. I kinda had to scrape my jaw up off the floor before I had to leave, it was so impressive. It was also cool to meet the TB peoples, who were all nice folks. I personally got to meet Sheepman, Spanky, JT, Gabu and his wife Jellybeanchic, fhodshon, Funkycarnivore, and uh, umm, oh yeah, Steve Lawson earlier in the day. I actually held the monstrosity known as JT's double neck, plus played most of the stuff that Bill Conklin had brought. Very cool. Anyone going to Nashville this year?:D

Rock on