Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The problem with Conklin GT-7s - in the UK!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Las Olas, Oct 13, 2003.

1. Las Olas

Las Olas

Apr 20, 2003
    Scarborough, UK
    My problem is this. I desire a nice, used, Conklin GT7. However because I'm in the UK, all I've ever been able to do is play one five string Conklin - there's a real shortage.

Anyone know anywhere in the UK that stocks Conklins? Or perhaps you've got one to sell me?

I'd be very interested to know!

Slightly peeved,

Mike

2. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    i dont even think they have a UK dealer. this is a real shame as im DYING to try out a GT-7 or the real deal!

3. Las Olas

Las Olas

Apr 20, 2003
    Scarborough, UK
    Thanks for the headsup! :)

4. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    i can never access that bassworld.co.uk site... whatswith that!

5. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    have you tried contacting Conklin?

They should be able to help you.

6. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    Hey there,
    Well there is a fellow talkbasser in switzerland that is selling his Bill Dickens Conklin. He goes by the name of mahei on talkbass i think. Here is the link to the Bass description: http://www.electricbass.ch/board/board_show_details.php?id=334
    its in german so i doubt it helps. I have his telephone number so if you are interested i could call him and give him your email address or tell him to contact you. I went to check out the bass. Its beautiful. And in very good condition. It just had one to many strings on it ;) . Good luck with the search! I know it can be frustrating...We poor europeans ;) .
    Michael

7. I have a GT7 and I'm in the UK. Had to get it from the US though, since Conklin don't have any distributors in the UK. There was a Bill Dickens model that came up on E-Bay about 6 months ago, but it went for over £1000.

I contacted Bass Central (via Gard) who offered a good deal on a GT7 with shipping, but in the end plumped for a Bass NW second hand model because the overall price was just slightly better.

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I'm sure I've seen Conklins in the Bass Centre when it was in Wapping...? They have got smaller now though - but they used to get all sorts of stuff.

But how do you know you want one? So It's like all the US guys are salivating about Wals - I think just because they never get them over there! ;)

But I've managed to try a few of these over the years and have never liked any of them - although I liked the idea of a Wal and I liked what I'd heard on recordings - the reality was a big disappointment!

9. -is that the 2nd hand red Conklin GT5 at the Gallery?

I wonder where that came from originally- seems unlikely someone would go to the trouble of ordering that from the US.

10. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Bruce, if you ever need anything from this side of the pond let me know and I'll track it down for you. You have to send me a Wal though ;). I've played one here and loved it......I'll take 2 please :D

11. Las Olas

Las Olas

Apr 20, 2003
    Scarborough, UK

Yeah that's the one. It was in some stupid tuning, top two strings in fifths or something, I didnt have the time or energy (after playing - lets face it - all the basses he has there ;)) to tune it standardly.

Regards

Mike