The Producers' Kyle Henderson

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by mchildree, Jan 27, 2001.

1. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    Anybody out there remember an Atlanta-based band called the Producers from back in the early '80s? They had a great bassist named Kyle Henderson, and the guy was a big influence on me. Played P-basses with a pick and usually ripped all the controls out. His lines were always unique, melodic and vital to the tunes (which were also great). Really good vocalist, too. Wonder what he's up to now?
  2. JimK

Dec 12, 1999, The 'ducers w/ Van Temple, Bryan Holmes, Wayne Famous, & Kyle Henderson. I loved them(though NOT as much as one as my pals who went as far as donning a "baldy" cap whenever his band covered a Producers' tune)! ;)
    I have 3 of their albums(all vinyl)...the debut really had that Beatles' sound.
    The 2nd record, YOU MAKE THE HEAT had more of a "modern" vibe("Breakaway" sounded kinda like The Police; maybe it was Holmes' drumming that smacked of Stewart Copeland's). "Operation", "Dear John", "Merry-Go-Round", "Back To Basics",...great, cool, tunes. I'm gonna have to pull those records out & soon!
    Henderson left the band prior to RUN FOR YOUR LIFE(Tim Smith of Jellyfish replaced him). I think Henderson then went into Contemporary Christian Rock & released an album in '85 called MORE THAN THE LOOK OF LOVE(& I even have that!). :D

I definitely miss The Producers.
    Maybe some of the Atlanta connection here at Talk Bass will chime in with some info...
  3. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    Man, is that what my hair has been up to?? A Wayne Famous impression? That guy had a great image, IMO. Even in a band with 3 Pretty Boys, he still stood out.

The Producers were the first signed act that I ever got to open a show for (in my first club band). This was right after "You Make The Heat" was released, and they had a big following in our area (SE Alabama), yet they treated us like equals..not the rank amatuers we were. Right after that, I got a job in a touring act and crossed paths with the Producers several times. Lots of good memories connected with those guys. I still wear those albums out.
  4. upman

Jan 19, 2001
    Man, what a great band. Saw them sometime in the mid 80's (funny, Ive forgotten some of that era! Is that a good or bad thing?) Really bad weather produced a poor turnout at the club. The Producers put on a great show anyway! After the show they sat down at our table and had a few beers with us, which we all thought was very cool! I'm gonna have to dig out those albums as well.
  5. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...I found & received(already)the cd with BOTH of The Producers' albums with Kyle Henderson(picked it up for $12). ALL the tunes are on this single cd; 21 tunes clockin' in at over 70 minutes.
    Wow, I had forgotten how much I enjoyed their music; at times, Pop-ish, sometimes Beatles-esque, a little Reggae(ala The Police), some Rock, etc.
    Drummer Bryan Holmes really impresses me.
    "I Love Lucy" was one of the cooler songs I had forgotten about from their 1st album; same, too, for "Life Of Crime".
    Fans of this band(+ any of you curious enough)oughta check this 2-fer out...