1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Prog Rock Thread

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Buchada Azeda, May 12, 2010.

1. Buchada Azeda

Buchada Azeda

Mar 25, 2009
    Brazil
    I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread in which we could discuss progressive music in general (symphonic prog, prog metal, heavy prog, zeuhl, krautrock, classic prog, etc.). Some of you might compare prog rock to wine [DEL]and Demi Moore[/DEL], but there are great new bands around too.

Also, I think it would be cool to discuss a band a week, but we can talk about other things too.

PS: It's 21:12 here.
    PPS: We could start a poll each week, so we'll choose the band to be discussed.

2. Buchada Azeda

Buchada Azeda

Mar 25, 2009
    Brazil
    I'll start.

Band of the week: RUSH

rush5.

-What are your top 3 Rush albums?

-What do you see in Rush's future?

-What do you prefer, 70's, 80's, 90's or 00's Rush?

3. OK, I'll play :D

(top 3)
    1. Hemispheres
    2. 2112
    3. A farewell to kings
    (closely followed by Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures & Carress of steel)

Future
    Hopefully an album with loooonger songs

The answer to the first question provides the answer to the last, the 70's :p

4. [TOP 3 ALBUMS]
    1. Moving Pictures
    2. 2112
    3. Permanent Waves

Future:
    I'd like to maybe see some return of Geddy's synth but what i'd love is for them to collaberate with another more modern prog band such as muse, PT etc.

Favourite era is both 80s and 70s i think. They are both fantastic examples of Rush brilliance.

5. My favorite CDs would include their 80s keyboard dominated progressive ones. Probably "Hold Your Fire" Is my favorite of all time. "Hemisphere"s was cool as well.
    "Snakes and Arrows" is supposed to be a throwback to that time, but I have not heard it as of yet.

6. TRob1293

TRob1293

Feb 1, 2008
    Louisville, KY
    No particular order:
    - Counterparts (great bass lines and tone)
    - Caress of Steel

Future: not too much more coming from the our aged heroes

Era: 70's to mid 80's

More Progressive magic: Dream Theater, Yes, Tool

7. Buchada Azeda

Buchada Azeda

Mar 25, 2009
    Brazil
    Top 3: Hemispheres
    Permanent Waves
    Moving Pictures

Future: They'll probably have an album produced by SW of Porcupine Tree and their early catalog remastered by him too. Note that the band loves PT and Alex did a solo on a PT song.

Era: 1975-1986

8. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    - I'll agree with those three albums but, even though I initially disliked their 80's material and lost interest in them for a while, I went back and gave those albums another chance and found that they were just as good, only different. I now have their entire catalog and love all the albums.

- I'd love to see them put out a few new albums, each deliberately capturing the feel of a specific era in their history. But mostly I just want to see them continuing to put out new music and touring. They're easily my favorite band, for all kinds of reasons.

-I'm clearly a fan of their 70's and very early 80's material, but also a fan of all of it.

Regarding the PT connection .... I saw Rush three years ago and though it was cool that in the pre-show music they played "The Sound of Muzak" off In Absentia. I always thought that was a cool song. Also, my son and I were listening to Fear of a Blank Planet when I first got it and simultaneously we both said "That solo sounds just like Alex Lifeson!". We checked the liner notes and, sure enough, he did a guest solo on it.

9. BananaKing

BananaKing Supporting Member

May 15, 2008
    Vancouver, B.C.
    Top 3 albums for me:
    - Moving Pictures
    - Grace Under Pressure
    - Presto

I don't know what I see; and that's what I'm both excited and scared for.

Can I have a mix of all of the above? :)

I actually don't have an overall preference.