The proper way to play Billie Jean

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Tupac, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Tupac

Tupac

May 5, 2011
    I think this video might finally shed some light on how Louis played those octaves in that song. Mystery solved? It also kind of sounds like he's thumbin it when I listen to it now.

2. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Hmmm.......

3. Was this a mystery? The only thing I can't figure out is how to play it for 6-7 minutes non stop without carpel tunnel setting in...

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...back in the day, we doubled-up "Billie Jean" (effectively played it twice as long, 6-7 minutes).

When my hand started going numb, I would play a ghosted/muted Open "E" on Beat_3 (on both the F# & B changes). Worked for me.
    We also doubled-up "Into The Groove" by Madonna...that was a lot worse than "BJ".

5. We do a Jackson 5/MJ medley, with an extra chorus here or there if the crowd is into it. We usually end up playing for 30min+ non stop. I only get a break on the song transitions. It sucks some nights, especially if I had to work that day, and didn't get a break between work and going to the gig.

6. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Looks tiring for sure. Too much work for me though. I've played it using no low note and I've played it using an octave pedal.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
  7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021