1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The pros and cons of this rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassyRyan, Nov 1, 2010.

1. bassyRyan

bassyRyan Banned

Jul 11, 2010
  2. Marton

Marton

Sep 20, 2005
    Quebec
    No.

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Assuming that you're going to bridge the power amp, can you use a Speakon connector, or do you have to use the Binding posts (which are kind of clunky and a pain compared to a Speakon)?

Aside from that, it would be a nice sounding rig, assuming that you like the VT Bass pedal (and it's one of the few Tech21 products that I actually do like).

4. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    I think you made some good choices. Are you sure you just want to go to one 210? 300 watts is about all you can send to it, unless you bridge the amp and watch your volume. If you are expecting to add more cabs, this is a great setup.

You will not have much tone control - if you need to boost or cut a certain frequency range live, you will not have much choice with the VT bass. Just some things to think about.

5. bassyRyan

bassyRyan Banned

Jul 11, 2010
    What outcome am I looking at bridged vs. unbridged?

6. bassyRyan

bassyRyan Banned

Jul 11, 2010
    The VT is currently what drives the front end of my SWR, so I am pretty use to the EQ.

7. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Running it bridged gives you more power...both channels of the power amp are driving the single cabinet.

8. If you get two 2x10"s, you can stack them vertically.

Basically, Gearhead brings up some good points. You might want a bit more cab than that, as you can only use as much power as your cab can take.

The VT pedal can work as a preamp, but its shaping controls are pretty basic. That may or may not be a concern for you. If not, go nuts.

9. bassyRyan

bassyRyan Banned

Jul 11, 2010
    Would this put the cab in danger of blowing the speakers?

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    couldn't just say gk neo 210, vt pedal and crown drivecore? :p

it would all definitely work and play together, however, the vt gets a bit sensitive with the knob changes until you're used to it. also, if you're planning on running a di to the pa on gigs, you'd either need to buy a di or have your vt modded for a di. www.putnamguitars.com is the place for that mod.

the power amp's overkill for it but every musician can use a good power amp for a lot of different things so why not?

11. bassyRyan

bassyRyan Banned

Jul 11, 2010
    Or as I seem to undertand it, running bridged would give me the full range that I need to drive the cab to it's potential...but I would need to watch my volume?

12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    of course. absolutely no need to bridge with a 210. you can easily drive that cab to full potential with one side running at 8 ohms.

13. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    If you went with an Avatar 2x10 you could save some cash... a new B210 Neo is $345 shipped (for carpet), $385 shipped (tolex). If you went the black carpet/metal grille route, you could add an SB112 cabinet too and the total cost of the rig would add $230 compared to just buying the single GK cabinet.

14. bassyRyan

bassyRyan Banned

Jul 11, 2010
    So you think this would be a good powered rig for small to medium sized clubs? I basically want to upgrade over the current 275w or so I'm pushing through my current rig. Do you think the 212 neo would be a better choice for this setup?

15. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    As long as you listen to your cab for sings of distress, you should be just fine.

16. bassyRyan

bassyRyan Banned

Jul 11, 2010
    Sounds kind of risky:eyebrow:

What's the worst case scenario with this proposed setup?

17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    for a rig that won't struggle as much on your bigger gigs, yeah, i do. 210's can sound great, but i always feel like they don't move enough air. a 212, however, will generally have a bit more ass on them. part of it is because they're usually in bigger cabs, part of it is they have more cone space. cone space isn't the only thing that matters, but it does help.

however, that's just my personal opinion and you may feel the 210 is enough. but when i'm given the choice of bigger or smaller, i always take bigger when possible.

18. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Any reason you are NOT planning on buying for cheaper elsewhere? ;)

19. bassyRyan

bassyRyan Banned

Jul 11, 2010
    Just using that as an easy reference. I already own the VT and my business goes to the lowest bidder for said products. I usually like to go through Sweetwater, if only for their excellent cs.

20. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Cool. Looks like a perfectly workable rig.