The pros/cons of Bassballs

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by olps, Mar 31, 2002.

1. olps

Nov 12, 2001
    I just bought the bass balls Russian model. What exactly does a "twin dynamic filter" do? thanks
  2. olps

Nov 12, 2001
    I don't mean what it sounds like, but what it actually does. Can no one help?
  3. Anyone out there have experience with the Electro-Harmonix Bassballs.
    I'm driving a 70's SVT with a 73 Fender P so I'm not real worried about getting imitated 'classic' tube sound but I want an effect pedal to rilly lay in the crunch without loosing the low-end and drive of the setup. I use the bypass quite frequently, switch on/off several times in most songs.
    Currently using a Boss OBD-3 and not real happy with the tone, too metallic as several people have said.
  4. Sorry about this, I merged your threads together, they are both about the same thing and can be anwsered together.
  5. 98dvl

Jan 31, 2002

I can't say for sure what the Bassballs does to your signal...

But, if you're electrically inclined, maybe this schematic might help...

For the other poster.... if you're looking for a distortion box, the Bassballs probably isn't your thing.

To my knowledge, you can't use the Bassballs for only the distortion without the filter. I'm sure there's someway it could probably be done, but it'd probably require extensive modification to the electrical components inside the box.

If you're curious as to what a Bassballs box does to your bass.... the best example I can think of is RHCP's Sir Psycho Sexy. Flea uses one on that song quite a bit.... the sound is pretty distinct.

Otherwise, you can get MP3 samples at EHX's web site:

Hope that helps,

6. ok so is everyone positive now that it is indeed a bassballs that is being used in Sir Psycho Sexy (fav RHCP song btw) because if so i think you just got me settled on getting one.
    Now if its the DOD Filter that hes using, well then good luck to him because i dont care if he uses it or not there is now way im buying the POS.
  7. 98dvl

Jan 31, 2002
    If it's not the Bassballs that he's using... then it sure sounds pretty darn close to what a Bassballs sounds like...

I know I found a MP3 on here somewhere of someone playing SPS with their bass through a BassBalls....

I can't find it now... but I do have it downloaded if you'd like me to send it to you.

Either way, if you're looking to get the sound Flea gets on SPS, then the Bassballs is definitely the way to go... I'm not 100% positive what he used, but I'd put my money on the Bassballs.

8. First you gotta understand that a dynamic filter or envelope follower is a filter that opens or closes based on the signal input. The Bass Balls has 2 filters that are doing different things and as "cross" you get sort of an instant flanging sound. The fuzz is just some nasty stuff to add. The Bass balls is my all time favorite defect pedal. Bass or guitar it don't matter.
  9. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    Well, yeah I think it is the BB... that just inspired me to get one. When I'm up to get my new bass in a few weeks I'll get one... cool!

I wouldn't say the DOD is a POS, but it is for that... better used in the classic dub manner (barely opening, so you get really bassy sound).
  10. Mohawk Freak

Mohawk Freak

Mar 8, 2002
    Ok, gave SPS a long overdue re-listen on saturday and I can say for CERTAIN that it's not just a bassballs pedal. I bought one of these babies and am quite familiar with the effect.

My evidence? The bassballs is very "vowely". Sort of "OwWWWW" (sort of!!!). If you listen to SPS there are VERY distinct "Wah" sounds on the attack of many of the notes (depends on the velocity of the attack). However, this then tails off into a very characteristic Bassballs sound with the distortion switched on.

My diagnosis? Bassballs and an "up" envelope filter. It kinda sounds like a Q-Tron+ in "Fast" response mode, that sort of pronounced speedy envelope wah. On strong attacks the envelope filter opens then tails into the bassballs. On the weaker attacks the bassballs sound is much more pronounced. It sounds like the bassballs is set with the sensitivity fairly high as it's certainly less vowely than I can make mine go and the sound sort of dives in a way you can hear a bassballs make go it if you set it higher.

The "official" tab book says "with phase shifter" but we all know what a load of croc they can be full of as it's not from the band but some guy who's paid to work it out. It DOES sound as though there is phasing underneath the bassballs. It's difficult to tell because of the nature of the bassballs effect but I give it a "yes" vote. In fact, almost certainly.

I havn't had a chance to test my theorey and try to emulate the sound but I have all the key ingredients (except a stingray, or whatever he used on the recording). I'll have a chance tonight so I'll let you know how it goes. What do you recon to all that then people!!
  11. Moogerfooger Lowpass filter with MXR Phase 90.
    Im sure its not what Flea used but I tried it yesterday while playing SirPsychoSexy and sounded DAAAMMMNNN close.
  12. Mohawk Freak

Mohawk Freak

Mar 8, 2002
    Did you manage to imitate the growly distortion/fuzz type sound aswell?
  13. the phase 90 distorts a bit when it gets extreme which made it sound just like whatever flea is using...
  14. Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    As Parliament says, free your mind and your ass will follow...try a Boss Bass O.D.(or similar effect that will give you a little crunch) into a Boss Dynamic Filter FT-2(with low battery and set to an "up" sweep) and put on your sock.
  15. Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    i betcha he was using boss auto wah & boss dynamic filter with bass balls.. maybe also with boss o/d..

harmonix bassballs
    boss auto wah aw-2
    boss bass o/d odb-3
    boss dynamic filter ft-2
    mxr micro amp
    dod fx25 envelope filter
    harmonix q-tron
    Dunlop crybaby bass wah

that's all i know of that he has used or uses..