The Psychedelic Furs-Tim Butler

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by The Mock Turtle Regulator, Aug 15, 2001.

1. I was listening to my Psychedelic Furs albums and the first Love Spit love album today.

Tim Butler did some pretty good basslines IMHO.
    eg. "I just wanna sleep with you"
    "President Gas"
    "soap commercial"
    "sleep comes down"
    "all about you"

"more" (by Love spit love)

great bass tones too eg. "Mr Jones"

apparently he was one of the first Zon endorsers.

anyone else like his playing?
  2. pil101

Jul 8, 2000
    one of my faves. u mentioned some standout tracks how about:
    forever now
    new dream (b side)
    sister europe
    So Run Down
    Entertain Me

did u see this years tour at all? definitely the best incarnation of the band yet.

3. "Entertain me" great bassline, shame about the poor production on that album (Book of Days)- strange, as it was produced by David M Allen, who did a great job on The Cure albums.

will download New dream and So run down- haven't heard these.

I'm in the U.K. so haven't seen their comeback tour- I heard the lineup's a mix of Love Spit Love and Psychedelic Furs (ie. including Richard Fortus on guitar).
  4. I've bought the reissued/remastered/extra tracks versions of the P Furs "Talk talk talk" and "forever now" albums.

great alt-rock bass playing throughout- on "so run down" there's an interesting bit where the distorted amp bass signal is panned around while the direct bass signal stays in the middle:cool:

there's also a demo version included of the song produced by Martin Hannett, producer of Joy Division, Magazine etc.

"Run & run"'s got to be the catchiest P Furs track.
  5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    One of my favorites also. Definitely perfect playing for the music. "sleep comes down" is one of the really nice ones IMO.

There's a live DVD from the House of Blues - if you've got a DVD player I highly recommend it.
  6. Guitar Geek have just added his setup;

strangely his P bass is listed as a '62.
    I thought it was a 70's model- I think the one in the pic is on the Live DVD.

7. ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ

Tim Butler grooving as usual last month in L.A. with Psychedelic Furs on an Ibanez TMB-100 bass. Awesome!
    GregC likes this.
  8. farace

Jul 9, 2016
    Connecticut USA
    Saw them in October of '84 (Rubber Rodeo opened for them). I'd love to see them again. I love much of what they've done, but that first record will always maintain a particular zeitgeist for me.