the punk bassist

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by basserman44, Jul 20, 2000.

1. i know there are many good punk bassists, the dude from rancid, green day, and off spring are just a few that come to mind. but it seems like everyone else, especialy guitarists, think they are just idiots w/ a pick. i would just like to hear our input on this.

Keep on thumpin

2. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    Matt Freeman from Rancid is pretty kewl

Free your mind and your ass will follow
    -George Clinton
  3. JLeeFJ

Apr 5, 2000
    Punk rock was meant to be simple, so most of the True, Dirnt, Kriesel, and the Rancid guy are awesome. Also, the guy from the Suicide Machines is pretty cool. And he plays with his fingers!

"We told you before, but you didn't hear us then. So, you still question why! You didn't listen again!" -Rush

4. the Qintar

the Qintar

Jul 24, 2000
    because a bassist plays with a band that is put in the punk genre doesnt automatticly make him any less, back when the underground punk movement in the late 70s early 80s was going on, punk wasnt just banging on instruments really loud and having colored hair and alot of piercings, guys had talent and some were extremely exceptional, mike watt (bassist from seminal punk band the minutemen) who is possibly the best bassist i ever heard was right when he said that punk rock was more than a look, its a state of mind, its about being daring and taking chances, not being that stale music, all packaged and plastic, its gotta be wild for the brain and stuff. take a look at bands like the meatpuppets, husker du, the minutemen, the bad brains, that kind of thing, youll see that a band can be punk and at the same time not be the garbage thats being made today, those bands, the ones i named, show alot of talent
  5. gittleman

Aug 2, 2000
    i have to admit that any bassist who sings lead takes a hit for the team. most of the time elaborate basslines provide quite a distraction from the melody and rhythm of the lead vocals of a song. any bass player who can sing lead yet keep up an impressive bass line is very high ranking in my book. unfortunately there aren't a WHOLE lot out there. we get lucky with the occasional off-the-wall bands (i.e. skankin' pickle) who are known for their incredible (not to mention DAMN fun to play) bass lines, yet somehow the bassist also manages to sing lead. there are an awful lot of punk bands out there that just refer to the same bass line over and over in every song so that the bassist can sing at the same time (i.e. blink 182) so hats off to all your inspired young punk bassists to put forth the effort to not only play a fun bassline, but a complicated one. peace out

a bass ain't a bass unless it's purple and sparkley