1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The quest for the best one-trip-rig continues...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 69LesPaulBass, Mar 24, 2010.

1. 69LesPaulBass

69LesPaulBass

Mar 11, 2010
    Toronto
    Given that there two types of bassist, I am the type that wants a lightweight portable rig - but without sacrificing volume and tone (within reason)!

I started my quest with a Fender 2x10 combo, the 400 Pro. It was a pretty nice sounding amp with a built in Korg rack tuner, decent volume and just about perfect for most small to medium-sized gigs...buuut it was 80 lbs...and too combo-ey!

So I head to the guitar store and spend the better part of a saturday trying everything they had in stock. I was about to walk out with the Genz Benz 6.0 Shuttle 12T 'Combo' but ended up taking the 210T instead. 41 lbs. total, 3.75 lbs. amp head, 37.25 lbs. cab - SWEET.

...buuut when I played with two guitars and drums, it just wasn't LOUD enough! I loved the tone of the GB but I felt that the 210 cab that's married with that Shuttle just wouldn't cut it any better volume-wise than the fender.

Long story short, I ditched the cab and kept the Shuttle 6.0. Picked up a NeoX 212T off of Craiglist - 50 lb 2x12- SWEET.

Now I'm playing with the 6.0 through the NeoX 212T and just can't help but think that the extra 300 watts from the 9.0 would be just right.

Before I pull the trigger on the 9.0, does anyone have any other recommendations? what are YOU running through your 212s?
    Let's see some pics if you've got!

2. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    I don't own any Genz-Benz products, however I almost bought (2) 212T cabs a few weeks back but due to the price of over $800 each I bought my 2nd SvT810E. Its my back, I know. The 9.0 is a tempting head and their products look great......wish I could help you decide..........but its your rig....:cool:

3. I think more drivers will help the volume FAR more than an extra 300w.

4. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

Kickback style combo amps with a DI..

Then have the band turn down.

Timmy

5. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    My ampeg B15R weighs 100 lbs. and I've played gigs downtown Seattle where you have to park a quarter mile away and walk uphill at a 17% grade. The solution to a one-trip-rig was to just get a dolly and strap everything to it.
    Even if I had a 40 lb combo I still wouldn't carry it by hand.

6. What are the 2 types of bassist?:confused: I'd like to know, because I want to know what type I fit under.:confused:

7. bass4worship

bass4worship Ready For Freddy, let rock Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Sebring, Florida
    +1 on that.

8. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    The 212T is not going to take much more than the shuttle provides. Even if it took every last drop it'd give you less than 2db of extra maximum volume.

Waste of money.

My best recommendation would be to buy a very high quality compressor like a Demeter compulator or a Markbass compressore, if you want more apparent volume. Or, swap the shuttle out for a head that has more built in compression like an Rh450 or Markbass F1. Or, just keep turning the Shuttle up. It's got a pretty gentle limiter built in that will let you hit it harder than the clip lights let on.

9. 69LesPaulBass

69LesPaulBass

Mar 11, 2010
    Toronto
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=634482&highlight=

"It seems like on here I find 2 types of bassists really there's some guys in the middle but I generally see 2 Big differing opinions about amps...

The first kind is the.. Less is more group =)...

The shuttle bass,Mini-stack,combo amp,2x10's and a 150 watt head,and the like..

Then there is the second kind ... The MOAR the BETTER! group.

The Full stack,Double stack,Fridge cab,18's,700+watts Minimum,I'm gunna disintegrate your clothes within 3 feet of my rig group."

:bassist:

10. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    The 9.0 is deeper and fuller sounding. It would make your rig sound a bit beefier and you'd have a little more headroom. Not sure if that's important to you or not. Other than that, it wouldn't be a drastic change.

11. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Since you asked, I'm playing a Mesa Walkabout head through my GB Uber 212. Sweet tone for days, and plenty enough volume for my needs.

12. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I love that! LOL!!!!!

13. Deepwoods

Deepwoods Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2003
    St. Louis
    This is a very sweet sounding pairing. I have a Korg Pitchjack tuner that I can use in the tuner out which is pretty stealth as well.

14. I guess I fit in all 3 groups.:eyebrow: I'm not going to go into detail, I just know I fit in all 3 groups. . . INTERESTING.

15. Edword

Edword Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2005
    Detroitish
    I run a G-B Shuttlemax 12.0, but I'm the other type of bassist.

gb_rig_02.jpg

16. interp

interp

Apr 14, 2005
    Garmisch, Germany
    There are three kinds of bass players: those who can count and those wo can't...

17. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    2X12s will only go so far till they start sounding like complete crap. I believe that that's all you're going to get from a more powerful head, and I think your quest is going to continue. I was on the same quest and finally threw in the towel. Got a tiny lightweight 500 head (Carvin bx500) with a Bergantino 6X10. My quest for amplification is finally over... and once I learned to maneuvre the 6X10 in and out of my trunk, it's actually a lot easier to handle than any of my combos or "mini" rigs. Held on to my 2X12 for smaller gigs.

18. Well, I must fall in to the other group, you know the one based in reality. Since, most of us are not playing stadiums, the need for fridges and 1000w comes right out of our rockstar dreams. Just got rid of my giant amplification and acquire a GK MB212 500w at 39lbs. It moves a lot of air, compact, loud, clean and best of all uncolored. So, my true tone can be established.

And, by the way nothing wrong with having Rockstar Dreams:)

19. ian_s

ian_s

Jul 10, 2009
    There are two types of bassist: those who think there are two types of bassist, and those who don't.

20. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    when you play with those guys do you use earplugs?
    You might hear yourself just fine with plugs.
    You might be too close to your amp.
    You might be competing for spectrum.
    You might be scooping too much oomph out of your signal path...

or you might just need another cab.

If you had things fine with a 210 in an SS combo, maybe you need to go with a 210 instead of a 212.

600W should be more than enough.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 28, 2020