Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The quest for THE cab!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tunaman, May 22, 2005.

1. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    I've come down to the following cabs after MONTHS of research...
    Bergantino 322 or 212. Epifani NYC 212s
    I'm looking for a reggae like low end put fast enough for a pick playing ska feel. Actually I want the opposite sound of my Goliath Senior 6x10 which has very little low end (Frequency response is weak low... -3dB @ 55Hz and 14KHz)
    I'm not really in love with the NEO speakers coming out with Epifani, GK, Genz, Mesa etc. More weight is no problem.
    Any suggestions of other gear or experiences with the above gear??

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    After months of research, I decided on the Epi.

I love my Epi NYC. I can get a nice thick reggae low end from it. I don't play that style, but I could. For my jazzy, bluesy gig, the Epi rules.

-Mike

3. Check out Accugroove.....an El Whappo, a Whappo, JR, or a TRI 210 would all work quite well with the EL Whappo giving you the uber Lows you want as well as a very balanced full range sound, the Whappo, Jr. will give a very balanced full range sound though not QUITE as much bottom end. The TRI 210 is a very tight, thick sounding cab but may not give you the bottom you want...

Notice I said sound instead of tone in the descriptions above...the Accugroove cabs are VERY neutral sounding and respond beautifully to EQ....in other words they will sound just about ANY way you want them to with a little creative EQing (they sound GREAT flat as well) they are designed to sound the way you want them to....not the way a designer thinks they should sound!! What a nice change!!

Peace,

T

4. I know this one wasn't on your list, but the GK 212 Neo is a pretty smokin' cab. I played one the other day and was blown away by the punch, clarity, and warmth. Not your typical GK cab.

On another hand, if you only had to choose the Berg or Epi, I would say the Berg 322. That is a pretty sweet cab as well.

5. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    You should check out the Bergantino NV series cabs. The HT322 is really nice too, and I second the Acme B4 suggestion.

That frequency response is pretty ridiculous for a cabinet like that.